Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 22:13   #1

Boat: 1970 42' ChoeyLee
Gulf of Mexico West to East trip

Good morning, I want to move my 42' from La to Fl; first part in the ICW anyway, and really can't see leaving until end of October. Is this timing a sensible one or not? Figure to drop offshore after Biloxi or Pensacola then head toward Tampa or so, but end up in Ft Myers area. Is this a horrible timing for weather and what would be better if so? Any advice? Thanks.
Nirvava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 23:47   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Will have to wait out northers but not a bad time.Was in tampa area last winter cold there too.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Marc makes a good point about the northers that are not uncommon, usually about three days duration, during this time and on into the winter, but there should be no difficulty in choosing to wait out these events just as avoiding a late tropical storm. If you're taking coastal hops, the longest leg would be an overnight across Florida's "Big Bend" from areas near Appalachicola to Anclote Key or a shorter choice from St. Marks to Cedar Key. Your selections in this area depend on your draft. Once to Tarpon Springs (Anclote Key) you are back to easy half day choices offshore or the ICW. 'many beautiful stops if you're not rushed.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:14   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Spent couple days anchored in st marks river,very pretty.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 14:07   #5

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvava View Post
Good morning, I want to move my 42' from La to Fl; first part in the ICW anyway, and really can't see leaving until end of October. Is this timing a sensible one or not? Figure to drop offshore after Biloxi or Pensacola then head toward Tampa or so, but end up in Ft Myers area. Is this a horrible timing for weather and what would be better if so? Any advice? Thanks.
Its a nice trip I left Appalachicola and went in Tarpon springs lots of stone crab traps in this area they are every where then the Manatee river through the cut at Anna Marie Island and stayed a few days sight seeing Desota point was a nice place then left and went to Estero I was by myself so I was'nt in a hurry I would go inside to take a break and rest up then go back outside this was in january then I took the ICW to South Carolina
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico