Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 14:34   #46

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler
Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
This is such an ignorant comment on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin.
I disagree. I think it's a very useful warning, which I have heard many times while I've been a boater.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:16   #47

https://youtu.be/H2Tx4O1nFdU
They're there.
Seems it would take very little for one shark to have a chomp and start a feeding frenzy.
SV Fraser J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:18   #48

The Bahamas reportedly brings in more than $100M/year on shark diving tourism. The marine sanctuary laws there are widely applauded for the recent (last 15 years) change resulting in a "healthy, thriving" shark population. Most of those happy-nature articles fail to mention that, unlike in the US, there is no law against feeding Bahamas' sharks during a dive as that is where the money comes from. Good times.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:25   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
This is such an ignorant comment on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin.
It is given that the majority of shark attacks are on males. But it is in the tradition of CF posts where we blame the victim. Let's us feel that we are too smart to have that kind of accident happen to us.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/c...29-gklnxo.html
Quote:
Are you a woman? Good news: you're probably not going to get bitten by a shark.

In fact, nearly every single person ever bitten by a shark, in Australia and around the world, since records begun, has been a man.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:47   #50

which toasters are more likely to attack? I am always wary of those big 4 Slice deals..... one thing for sure they will eat your batteries
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:56   #51

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
which toasters are more likely to attack? I am always wary of those big 4 Slice deals..... one thing for sure they will eat your batteries
The flying ones of course!

https://images.app.goo.gl/3gmctdxWFEACWZxU7
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:12   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
the majority of shark attacks are on males. [/URL]
Well, yeah, and the vast majority of drowning victims are male.
There are simply more male humans in the water, and males do far more risky things than females, usually while trying to impress females.
It's dangerous work, being a guy.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 18:00   #53

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dont go swimming during ones period.???
I at first thought you were being facetious, but after thinking about it for a minute it is a valid question. Statistics be damned, you never know what a hungry killer is going to do. And as stated, they seem to be getting hungrier.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 22:24   #54

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

It is very easy to sustain an injury in the water when snorkeling that you can barely feel and ignore. I have cut my hand on coral before and it was bleeding quite a lot, but it just felt like a dull ache. If she cut herself somewhere, and one shark went for her, the rest would follow. I would bet that chumming has a lot to do with conditioning as well.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 22:33   #55

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Well, yeah, and the vast majority of drowning victims are male.
There are simply more male humans in the water, and males do far more risky things than females, usually while trying to impress females.
It's dangerous work, being a guy.
And none of the male victims were on their period, yet they still got attacked.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 02:36   #56

Boat: Pearson 530

So much misinformation here. If you’re in the water you’re part of the food chain. If you enter the lions cage, you’re part of the food chain. If you sit on the banks of Alaska, you’re part of the food chain. Bacteria, viruses, insects, etc, you’re part of the food chain. You don’t have to be a university professor to understand it, you’re part of the food chain.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:04   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

We were in the Exumas a couple of months ago and for the first time ever I was chased out of the water by a shark while snorkeling. Son in law had speared a grouper which immediately attracted a 4-5' shark. We got in the dink and motored at least 1/4 mile away to another reef to resume snorkeling. My second time to the bottom, about 35' on the way up I did my usual l did my standard look up and 360 to find a shark charging from behind me a few feet away. I punched out at it, it darted away and I darted to the dink. It was the same size and same species (reef shark) as the one we just saw but did it follow us?

A few months ago I watched an episode of Naked and Afraid (yes I know, a very, very dumb show but this one was filmed on south Andros so I wanted to see scenery). The participants were swarmed by a variety of sharks within minutes every time they got into the water.

Neither of these are typical of the behavior I experienced in the Bahamas in the past. Has the shark feeding contributed? Can't say but I think that is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Feed any large animals in a US park or even forget and leave food in your car you will be booted out and possibly fined.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 06:19   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I at first thought you were being facetious, but after thinking about it for a minute it is a valid question. Statistics be damned, you never know what a hungry killer is going to do. And as stated, they seem to be getting hungrier.
True.. Gulls and Boobies are far from human dietary desires or taste.. till you've sat in a liferaft a few weeks.. hell even the person next to you could start looking more like a juicy ribeye than crew mate..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 06:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Shark attacks are terrible when they happen but they are very rare.
I wont get into the you have a better chance of getting killed Driving to the beach then getting killed by a shark.
I have had the Opportunity to swim with sharks while scuba diving.
They are wild animals. But any experienced diver will tell you that you learn how to read the body language of sharks
You almost never see an attck on divers unless they are chumming.
Chumming should be forbiden.
Swimmers get attack mostly by mistake. Bite and release. You survive or die of blood lost. Wich tends to validate that human blood is not part of the shark sensory inventory.
And you get the very rare predatory attacks. Keep in mind that sharks a predetors who feed on fish mostly. Overfishing puts presure on the food reserves. When food is scarces predetors will look for alternatives. A swimmer might be one.
This happens with many animal species.
Bears, Lions, tigers, even herbivors can displays such behaviors

One thing for sure. on a scoring card sharks are loosing against us BIG TIME
But, just as not speeding or driving drunk can improve your chances of not being in a car wreck, not swimming anywhere near areas where dive boats are chumming up sharks, can also improve your chances of not being bit by a shark.

Nothing wrong with trying to improve the odds in your favor.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:57   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ignorance is not exclusive it seems, comments dont end with question marks.
It has long been my understanding that sharks are attracted by scent and vibrations.. blood being one of the scents and the vibrations that are created by the flexing of knees and ankles which apparently can mimic a fish in distress.
But hey.. Everyones gotta start somewhere, banging ones head on a wall only satisfies the self and resolves nothing.. Inspire us with your wisdom kind sir..

Boatman as you are kind enough to frequently share your wisdom, you might choose to reinforce your wisdom with research and facts. For your reading pleasure here are some articles that seem reasonably well researched and debunk your theory about menstruation and shark attacks.

Can Sharks Smell Period Blood

No, menstrual blood does not attract sharks
Why Swimming During Your Period Is Both Safe and Recommended
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas