Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 12:19   #76
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey.. WTF do I know.. never been to the Bahamas for 1..
Dont eat fish and dont kill for pleasure for 2..
Vegan..?

Been to the Bahamas many times, never been close to no sharks and plan to continue that tradition. If somebody was chumming to attract sharks, then sending snorkels out in the water, they should be jailed, but nobody can be that stupid...
Old 29-06-2019, 12:45   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Vegan..!!!
No way Jose..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delish-roast-beef-horizontal-1540505165.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	194958   Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-492762277-2048x2048.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	194959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-roast-chicken-with-vegetables-on-plate-1376090675.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	194960  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 15:22   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This poor thread got way off track, imo.

That very unlucky young woman was in a unusual situation, not only from the sharks having been response-chained to associate humans with food, but in being attacked by more than one. Whether or not she was menstruating at the time is pretty irrelevant, the sharks were not behaving "normally"--although perhaps it is normal mating behavior, I don't know about that.

Atypical behavior is one clue to quietly leave the water. More than one, leave the water, and swim tomorrow, somewhere else. I've swum a lot, with black tip reef sharks, and mostly they are timid. But they also cruise the shallows and are notorious ankle and lower leg biters, said bites causing major damage, at times. Sharp teeth, too. One should be aware of one's place in the food chain, and many creatures will eat humans, even when they are not the preferred food. Large predators can be dangerous to us.

I guess the decision of woman to go backpacking in bear country or swimming with sharks when menstruating comes down to how cautious the individual woman is. For me, I was concerned that i smelled too much like food in the former situation, but routinely went swimming.

I don't know whether the lady scientist is correct about the safety of swimming, or not, but I do know large hungry predators can behave unpredictably. I wonder whether she would risk her daughter by advising her to swim with large sharks while menstruating.

Ann
Old 29-06-2019, 15:48   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
This poor thread got way off track, imo.

Agreed, way off track. A tagic event. Condolences to her family.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:10   #80

Sharks can attack for a number of different reasons not just because they’re hungry or smell blood. They didn’t eat the poor girl she died from blood loss due to her injury’s, there’s a difference.

Depending on species, sharks can be...

aggressive
predatory
Territorial
Social
Inquisitive
...or hungry

They can also be cooperative hunters.

I’ve spent time training sharks and other fish in captivity and have been ‘attacked’ by sharks in the wild a few times. The last was by a grey shark in the south pass in fakarava. The 10 ft monster Flew directly at me 3 times, the last time biting my fins. I put it down to being territorial and wanting to see me off, not because it wanted to eat me (I’m sure it could if it wanted too). I didn’t get in with the bull sharks!

Any animal can become territorial for different reasons, pressure or scarcity of resources (sound familiar sapiens?). Breeding season also does funny things to animals (bit like my local on a Friday night).

Most people are aware of the risks of using a toaster (burns or electrocution). Most people can anthropomorphise, few are able to be zoomorphic.

Condolences to the poor ladies family and friends. Couldn’t imagine what it would be like
Puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 18:46   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

As a kid when I started diving I studied shark attacks as much as I could, at that time supposedly no one saw the shark before the attack.
I find that hard to believe myself.
Years later I have done quite a bit of spear fishing, and you can tell the moment when a shark is going to get aggressive, usually. They get stiff, arch their back, put the pectoral fins down, you know the classic body builder pose. They will also swim quickly and erratically.
If you see that, get out and watch them from the boat.

Obviously it seems the prime time for attacks is early morning and late afternoon before sun set. Middle of the day is better to swim.
Assumption may be they can’t see as well and may hit you by mistake, but that’s just a guess, but there does seem to be more attacks in dim light.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 18:57   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
Perhaps you could offer up your credentials.
You must be particularly learned in this field to flippantly dismiss the explicitly expressed opinions of Dr. Tricia L. Meredith and Dr Stephen Kajiura both of Florida Atlantic University, whose expertise is in sensory biology of sharks.
Good heavens, KC. You and I would probably share a cold one in person. This internet outrage thing is a bit overdone, methinks.

For the record, I'm an engineer- a curious one with a bunch of patents. Your Dr. Meridith stated that she never actually did tests with blood because it's "not relevant". Seriously? I call bunk, on that. (Yes, engineers know the scientific method.)
Your Dr. Kajiura stated that a woman could indeed have a more pronounced electric field, which sharks use to find prey.

This tragedy now has this inventor (me) searching through the latest research on devices to disrupt a shark's electric field sensors. It's quite interesting, what has been done to date.

You can now throw me a nasty meme in some attempt to associate me with some horrible practice in Nepal. It's cool, I'll still offer you a cold beer.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 19:07   #83

Boat: Passport 41

Not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dont go swimming during ones period.???
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 19:19   #84

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My rule: don't get off the boat to enter the water or where tigers might be ashore.
Old 29-06-2019, 19:40   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My rule: don't get off the boat to enter the water or where tigers might be ashore.

https://youtu.be/4LXJedf0_hw
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 20:20   #86
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The consensus among marine biologists and scuba divers is that menstruation does not increase the risk of a shark attack.
https://www.popsci.com/surfer-period...-shark-attack/
https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...ct-sharks.html
Curious how you state "The consensus....". Do not see it supported by your 2 links which are void of empirical evidence.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 03:46   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Per my previous post #41
From the International Shark Attack Files at the Florida Museum of Natural History:
“... Menstrual blood almost certainly can be detected by a shark, and we’re sure urine can be as well. Do we have positive evidence that it is a factor in shark attack? No, and until some menstruating and non-menstruating divers volunteer to take part in a controlled test we’ll never prove it. In our opinion it likely is attractive to sharks in certain situations...
... Our advice? Don’t worry about it. Lots of women safely dive while menstruating. Although we haven’t got solid scientific data on the subject, so far we haven’t seen any obvious pattern of increased attacks on menstruating women.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh.../menstruation/

The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) is a compilation of all known shark attacks, that is administered by the Florida Museum of Natural History, and the American Elasmobranch Society, a professional organization comprised of international workers studying sharks, skates and rays.
Of the over 500 different species of sharks found in the world’s oceans, only about 30 have been reported to ever attack a human.
Of these, only about a dozen should be considered particularly dangerous when encountered. The shark species responsible for most unprovoked attacks on humans are the white (Carcharodon carcharias), tiger (Galeocerdo cuvier), and bull (Carcharhinus leucas). All sharks, large and small, are however predators and could be capable of inflicting wounds if provoked. They should all be treated with respect when encountered.
Worldwide there is an average of 80 shark attacks every year.
2018 Report ➥ https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...dwide-summary/

Although the relative risk of a shark attack is very small, risks should always be minimized whenever possible in any activity. The chances of having an interaction with a shark can be reduced if one heeds the following advice:
Always stay in groups since sharks are more likely to attack a solitary individual.
Do not wander too far from shore — this isolates an individual and additionally places one far away from assistance.
Avoid being in the water during darkness or twilight hours when sharks are most active and have a competitive sensory advantage.
Do not enter the water if bleeding from an open wound or if menstruating — a shark’s olfactory ability is acute.
Wearing shiny jewelry is discouraged because the reflected light resembles the sheen of fish scales.
Avoid waters with known effluents or sewage and those being used by sport or commercial fisherman, especially if there are signs of bait fishes or feeding activity. Diving seabirds are good indicators of such action.
Sightings of porpoises do not indicate the absence of sharks — both often eat the same food items.
Use extra caution when waters are murky and avoid uneven tanning and bright colored clothing — sharks see contrast particularly well.
Refrain from excess splashing and do not allow pets in the water because of their erratic movements.
Exercise caution when occupying the area between sandbars or near steep dropoffs — these are favorite hangouts for sharks.
Do not enter the water if sharks are known to be present and evacuate the water if sharks are seen while there. And, of course, do not harass a shark if you see one!
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sh...s/reduce-risk/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 04:05   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Not helpful.
More helpful than ^^^^^^^^ nothing.
Sparked debate..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 30-06-2019, 04:38   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those only interested in home waters..
You are not alone.. if you tourists think the Med is safe.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/408424...ond-place/amp/

Old 30-06-2019, 04:41   #90

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
You are so right Jim. We too live in Slidell. While the water is not often clear here, we do clean our prop and bottom during the warm months and are always concerned about sharks and the murky water, as Lake Pontchartrain is full of Bull Sharks, year round. Gators too. The northern Gulf Coast, where we sail, has huge hammerheads and occasionally Whites and Tigers.
Without getting into 'shark stories' off the southern Chandeleurs (nor alligator ones in the garden), you know all those little 'blacktips' you catch in the summer in the Rigolets and the lake? They're actually newborn bull sharks. Mom doesn't get to maturity until she's about 7 feet long, when she comes into brackish/fresh water (if she's not a resident) to give birth, apparently for her youngs' protection from the real 'nasties' in the big ocean...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas