Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 13:00   #106

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Everyone in the military is paid a monthly salary, the money is budgeted and spent the same whether they're jumping out of an airplane, sleeping, training or playing video games. The only other possible added expense might be fuel, but they have to fly "X" amount of training hours per month anyways, so all they have to do is mark this off as training and the net result is the quarterly OPTAR budget is virtually unchanged.

Let's not worry about expense in this case. If money becomes an issue, we can always cancel a few golf trips or family vacations by the guy using Air Force One.
HAAAAAAAA Fat chance!!!

Seriously though. Anyone that was in the military knows that aircraft will fly in circles for training if there is nothing better to do. Looks like now they will have something better to do.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:04   #107
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I just didn't know my "bailout" plan I advised would be the US taxpayer.
As the most wealthy nation that has ever existed, I'm pretty sure we can afford it.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:12   #108

They can raise my taxes a few cents to cover this and other rescue mission. America is great because we do these types of things and do them well.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:16   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the guys over in algeria are safe as well,a big thumbs up for all the rescue services,who are frequently the unsung heros,and recieve little credit for the great job they do

Sailboat went off course into Algeria - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 04-04-2014, 13:18   #110

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Best of luck to Eric, Charlotte and family. Boats can be replaced.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:19   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

There is an old saying, "common things are common." From the mother's description in her blog, the 13 month old child was rolling 1 1/2 revolutions with each wave for days on end when trying to sleep. I've never been seasick in thousands of hours on the ocean, but the incidence of seasickness under those conditions for a young child would likely approach 90%. With seasickness comes dehydration, very dangerous for a small child. The medics could have provided rehydration, or the seas might have calmed and allowed the child to improve. Likewise, from the described bruises and banging around the salon a concussion injury would be a concern- the child vomits for a day or two and acts strangely then recovers.

This is all speculation without any finger pointing, having taken numerous children off shore (mine had to be eight to go offshore fishing) for a day even in mild conditions seasickness is definitely a consideration. No one is immune to seasickness, I've even talked to merchant mariners with decades of experience that succumbed eventually.

I have only best wishes for Eric and his family. They are the kind of people that make America great and I have utmost respect for the reasoning behind this adventure and for the extensive planning Rebel Heart put into the voyage. I doubt he has much concern for his boat- his child's illness, sleep deprivation and exhaustion would change a person's thinking and perspective, and after reading his posts I would be shocked if his boat was not fully insured. High regards especially to the mother for attempting this challenge for the potential benefit to the children of experiencing the South Pacific.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:20   #112

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
They can raise my taxes a few cents to cover this and other rescue mission. America is great because we do these types of things and do them well.

Perfectly happy to see this country spend our tax dollars to help OUR citizens. Notice how no one ever complains when we send half our military to some third world country to bail them out after some disaster be it natural or self inflicted. Help one american citizen in need of urgent medical care in the middle of the pacific and we get a whole train of people complaining that it's too expensive?
Old 04-04-2014, 13:25   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Everyone in the military is paid a monthly salary, the money is budgeted and spent the same whether they're jumping out of an airplane, sleeping, training or playing video games. The only other possible added expense might be fuel, but they have to fly "X" amount of training hours per month anyways, so all they have to do is mark this off as training and the net result is the quarterly OPTAR budget is virtually unchanged.

Let's not worry about expense in this case. If money becomes an issue, we can always cancel a few golf trips or family vacations by the guy using Air Force One.
Let's just say I disagree that everyone in the military is off playing video games waiting for someone to need a rescue. Saying that people are on fixed salaries, so it doesn't matter what they do as it costs the same isn't correct. There is no way to explain this without oversimplifying it, but if you're using medical resources in one place, you're not using them somewhere else. And sometimes you do need them somewhere else.

I'm not worried about the expense. I'm just not pretending there isn't one. This is a side issue anyway, and not an important one.

The important thing here is that things are working out for Eric and his family. It's great news, and I'm sure we're all happy to get it.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:27   #114

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Damn, I was really waiting to see this was a tasteless april fools joke.
One can only marvel at the US Coast Guard to reach out hundreds of miles.
Best wishes for a happy ending.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:31   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

I simply could not believe at first moment that they had such a bad luck.
They are so fine people...

I believe that everything will find happy ending

And, US Forces are great!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 13:31   #116

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
There is an old saying, "common things are common." From the mother's description in her blog, the 13 month old child was rolling 1 1/2 revolutions with each wave for days on end when trying to sleep. I've never been seasick in thousands of hours on the ocean, but the incidence of seasickness under those conditions for a young child would likely approach 90%. With seasickness comes dehydration, very dangerous for a small child. The medics could have provided rehydration, or the seas might have calmed and allowed the child to improve. Likewise, from the described bruises and banging around the salon a concussion injury would be a concern- the child vomits for a day or two and acts strangely then recovers.

This is all speculation without any finger pointing, having taken numerous children off shore (mine had to be eight to go offshore fishing) for a day even in mild conditions seasickness is definitely a consideration. No one is immune to seasickness, I've even talked to merchant mariners with decades of experience that succumbed eventually.

I have only best wishes for Eric and his family. They are the kind of people that make America great and I have utmost respect for the reasoning behind this adventure and for the extensive planning Rebel Heart put into the voyage. I doubt he has much concern for his boat- his child's illness, sleep deprivation and exhaustion would change a person's thinking and perspective, and after reading his posts I would be shocked if his boat was not fully insured. High regards especially to the mother for attempting this challenge for the potential benefit to the children of experiencing the South Pacific.
I don't think it is useful or appropriate to speculate on what could or could not have made their child unwell. I guarantee they will tell us in great and honest detail when the time is right.

Two days before, their child was asking for some cake she had smelt her mom baking overnight. Doesn't sound too seasick to me. But now I'm speculating too.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:31   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post

Help one american citizen in need of urgent medical care in the middle of the pacific and we get a whole train of people complaining that it's too expensive?

Who said it was too expensive?

If you can name two, I'll send you a beer. Use the exact quote.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:32   #118

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Damn, I was really waiting to see this was a tasteless april fools joke.
One can only marvel at the US Coast Guard to reach out hundreds of miles.
Best wishes for a happy ending.
'Twasn't the Coast Guard - it was the Air National Guard.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:33   #119
cruiser

We can start a thread about who doesn't want to get rescued and is expected to scuttle their boats . All the "I told u so" people will be be included as well. Our list has at least 3, maybe 4 so far. Will spare you the public shame but you know who you are.

Can't you just wish the best for Eric and not talk all the crap.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:36   #120

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Who said it was too expensive?

If you can name two, I'll send you a beer. Use the exact quote.
Give it up.............really.....
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico