Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 18:53   #1
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Following zeehag

if you all know zeehag, she is almost on her way south!!!!.

David S Dawson, one of her crew going down south, has a very cool site and you can get a bit of her boat on video and maybe track their experiences

WithSailsUnfurled | Circumnavigating the Globe, the Journey of a Lifetime
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 19:55   #2

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Re: Following ZeeHag

Thanks for the really nice compliment SaltyMonkey! The site's only just getting started, as is the adventure!

And yes, you can see Karen and The Solitary Bird in the video from 3-20-11, but better still, here's the latest post with the latest pics of the boat. I'm sure I'll get a few more this weekend before we go.

The Solitary Bird Prepares To Depart | WithSailsUnfurled
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 20:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Fair winds Solitary Bird.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 20:42   #4

Boat: Tartan 34C

Nice stuff, but.....

....who's Karen, and what have you done with Zeehag?

Better be nice to her, or a dozen monkeys, yacht/boatmen, and n'er-do-wells from around the globe will descend on you like a feral cement mixer. You'll wish for the relative safety of Somali pirates.

Seriously, fair winds and following seas!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 21:55   #5

Whenever I read a blog that seeks sponsorship & charity it goes on ignore. I think this forum should do likewise,the same way the forum does to vendors hawking their wares.No matter how popular the person is
spiritbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 22:51   #6

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Unhappy Re: Following ZeeHag

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbaer View Post
Whenever I read a blog that seeks sponsorship & charity it goes on ignore. I think this forum should do likewise,the same way the forum does to vendors hawking their wares.No matter how popular the person is
I have no need for Charity, but I am trying to make a film and that always comes with a certain amount of fundraising. However! I am not interested in annoying anyone and have greatly reduced the footprint of that aspect of the site. I hope this is a compromise that works for anyone it may have offended at this point.

Again I am not seeking handouts and certainly no one is asked to contribute or buy anything to view the contents of my site.

Cruisers Forum has been an immensely helpful resource in my personal and professional journey so far and the last thing I would want is to overstep some line here.

David
Old 31-03-2011, 23:04   #7

Quote:
I agree with your general comment, but differ with you on the details. To wit:

1) Zeehag isn't selling anything, and this thread is about her - yes, a popular poster on this site.

2) David is documenting the prep and (soon) voyage of Solitary Bird. I looked on about 10 pages of his site and didn't see any request or requirement for payment.

3) I have seen many blogs that had ads in the margins, and products for sale if you were so inclined. So long as that aspect is secondary, I have no problem with it; CF is loaded with ads and I go right past them UNLESS they are showing something I might be interested in. I have pretty good filtering eyes.

Lights.....camera.......ACTION!

John
Old 31-03-2011, 23:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbaer
Meh. What site run by a couple of people doesn't need more funding, especially movie making cruisers? People will give handouts to smelly, dirty, druggie bums, who are doing nothing with thier lives or even trying, yet balk at donating a dollar for valuable/ entertaining web content. I believe that's a serious wtf.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 23:46   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks David! I didn't realise that Zeehag's boat was in your first video - I take it it's the one you refer to as having an 'awesome set of sails?'

I find folks like you truly inspirational. My husband finds folks like you a pain in the backside, since you make me want to go NOW (14 months is just too long) and then I get all impatient and hassle him. You know "When are we going to install the watermaker, it's been on the couch in the lounge for three months now", that sort of thing.

I truly look forward to following your adventure. Might I suggest, if you want 'footprints', that you also post your link on our CF Facebook page...?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 23:52   #10

Actually her boat is at the tail end of that video. She's the doll we are shouting hello to at the end and laughing and smiling with as we motor around her at her mooring.

However, her boat didn't look as good then as it does now with the decks cleared the bottom scrubbed and closer and closer to sailing.

I will post to CFs Facebook page. I definitely saw a boost in traffic after the "First Sail" video was replayed by CF to the FB page.

Oh and I just realized. In the rush to get the new design live I neglected to reload the link back to CF on my site.

Better run and do that.
Old 01-04-2011, 00:57   #11

My pleasure... links have been reinstated on the site! Can't believe I'd forgotten!
Old 01-04-2011, 00:58   #12

Saucy... why in the world have you been left to wait 14 months? For shame!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Now that's interesting coming from someone who is on record as a fan of the Bumfuzzles.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:50   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine, Hunter 28.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma

I have no need for Charity, but I am trying to make a film and that always comes with a certain amount of fundraising. However! I am not interested in annoying anyone and have greatly reduced the footprint of that aspect of the site. I hope this is a compromise that works for anyone it may have offended at this point.

Again I am not seeking handouts and certainly no one is asked to contribute or buy anything to view the contents of my site.

Cruisers Forum has been an immensely helpful resource in my personal and professional journey so far and the last thing I would want is to overstep some line here.

David
You would do well to look at www.kickstarter.com... Search for sailing... Post titled "more jaques Cousteau, less hick Finn". Is fundraising site... Singlehanded sailor sold her tired old sail for 8g's last run + over 7gs now plus had matching sponsorship for 5gs... Turned her old sail into 20gs!!! You have to "frame" your project to match the site but your odds of actually raising money are huge!!

I suggest:

Keep your rewards of the type that you need to ship NOTHING! You only get money once reward is filled so... $5 for a thank you email is better than 30 for a bit of sail.

If they deny your entry tweak it and try again, don't throw in towel.

Keep the overall amount to be raised lower... If you don't hit the pledges it's all for nothing.

Post in the movie/documentary portion... Make sure to have gimmic/theme that is attractive to armchair philanthropist... Documenting sailors maiden voyage, old salt reveals all, whatever

Everyone loves helping women... If there is a prettier poster child on board use it to your advantage 8P

This site is for real!! I really hope that this helps. I am a novice sailor but I'm an old salt of online rainmaking so if anyone on forum has a question fire away. I am not guaranteeing anything but if reasonable I will offer advice which is sound.

Fair winds to all.

S/V Joyen's Dream
SuddenVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenVibe View Post
If there is a prettier poster child on board use it to your advantage.
Great, now Zeehag is gonna be a star. Maybe change her name to "ZeeDiva", ask for her melon balls to be cut into the shape of Bruce anchors at press conferences, boatkat gets a perm and an earring.

Meanwhile, David becomes the Michael Moore of cruising, and releases his most controversial piece to date, "Cruisers Gone Wild", on the heels of his well-reviewed, "Everything Your Wanted To Know About Cruising But Were Afraid To Ask".

God, I love this forum.

John