Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 13:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Defense Weapons Against Piracy

I was listening to a radio program in Cape Town where the topic was around Green Laser outdoor devices.
Apparently these things are potent and can be used in pointing out stars.
There is a discussion as to wether these should be made illegal in South Africa due to children using them to blind pilots flying aircraft.
I was wondering how good a device this would be to blind pirates at sea if ones life were in danger?
Does anyone have knowledge of these and do they work in daylight?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 15:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Defence weapons against Piracy

Green lasers are not unlike most others in terms of power. That would be the bad news. The green color makes the trail visible. Some manufacturers are adding green lasers to the gun sight catalogs but then there is always someone that might want one. In the US hunting in the dark is not legal. Owning a laser gun sight is legal.

You can buy a green laser pointer on line for $11. As to the ability to blind someone I would think it is possible but the ability to actually do it when you wanted to such as a weapon would be slim to none. At a great distance your ability to point it becomes a limiting factor. Hitting an iris at 300 yards is no easy trick.

All lasers carry a danger of eye damage and you'll see the warning on all laser products. It's a due diligence thing. Children blinding pilots falls into the just because it's remotely possible is no reason it is plausible category. They say the same thing about red ones too, A BB gun can poke your eye out

For a real laser weapon you'll need to watch more SciFi movies for the ones that vaporize.

Cruising with a green laser could have a purpose. "I said steer over there you fool or you'll hit that rock over here!"
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 15:21   #3

Re: Defence weapons against Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Green lasers are not unlike most others in terms of power. That would be the bad news. The green color makes the trail visible. Some manufacturers are adding green lasers to the gun sight catalogs but then there is always someone that might want one. In the US hunting in the dark is not legal. Owning a laser gun sight is legal.

You can buy a green laser pointer on line for $11. As to the ability to blind someone I would think it is possible but the ability to actually do it when you wanted to such as a weapon would be slim to none. At a great distance your ability to point it becomes a limiting factor. Hitting an iris at 300 yards is no easy trick.

All lasers carry a danger of eye damage and you'll see the warning on all laser products. It's a due diligence thing. Children blinding pilots falls into the just because it's remotely possible is no reason it is plausible category. They say the same thing about red ones too, A BB gun can poke your eye out

For a real laser weapon you'll need to watch more SciFi movies for the ones that vaporize.

Cruising with a green laser could have a purpose. "I said steer over there you fool or you'll hit that rock over here!"
Yeah, I guessed as much.

Our friend was sailing with his 11 year old daughter and were attacked whilst under sail in the Pacific (of all places). Since he came from Namibia, he had a cattle proder with him, which he claims saved his and his daughters life, but he had to use it when the perpertrators were trying to board (thats too close for comfort to me).
The Lasers they were talking about on the radio are in excess of $1000.00 so extremely powerful, and I wondered if it would have any effect on keeping sea robbers at a distance.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Defense Weapons Against Piracy

Quote:
The Lasers they were talking about on the radio are in excess of $1000.00 so extremely powerful, and I wondered if it would have any effect on keeping sea robbers at a distance.
How could they see it in the day time? Pirates from the middle of nowhere come during daylight not in the dark. In the dark you turn off your lights so they can't find you not shine the green laser so they know where to point the AK-47 without sinking your boat. It's still not like you could burn a hole in the boat at 500 yards. At one foot away you might be able to really make them mad or at least one of them.

The ability to generate enough light energy requires a similar amount of electrical power for input less the penalty for the conversion. I'm not seeing you having mega watts of spare power. You need to make lightning as in "Fear of God" not "cool laser light show". Lightning bolts a half mile away would be credible. You could blind pilots then. Most governments would confiscate your boat.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
How could they see it in the day time? Pirates from the middle of nowhere come during daylight not in the dark. In the dark you turn off your lights so they can't find you not shine the green laser so they know where to point the AK-47 without sinking your boat. It's still not like you could burn a hole in the boat at 500 yards. At one foot away you might be able to really make them mad or at least one of them.

The ability to generate enough light energy requires a similar amount of electrical power for input less the penalty for the conversion. I'm not seeing you having mega watts of spare power. You need to make lightning as in "Fear of God" not "cool laser light show". Lightning bolts a half mile away would be credible. You could blind pilots then. Most governments would confiscate your boat.
Well I guesse that answers that question then !!!

It would be nice to find a solution without carrying arms - we intend to be doing this for years and safety is a concern.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:57   #6

Boat: In my dreams
pirate Re: Defense Weapons Against Piracy

Cannons! We need to start putting cannons on ships again! Or just threaten to rape and pillage them if they come on board.*

*Poster is insane and should not be taken seriously.
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 17:31   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Your comment on cannon was rather interesting. It is possible to build your own EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) cannon. I doubt most people would recognize it as anything but a bit of electronics. Now I have the schematics and the primary ingredient is simply the magnetron tube from a derelict microwave oven. The author of the schematics suggested using it to silence the stereos and such of annoying neighbors. I was interested in it for the same reason at an anchorage but decided frying ALL their electronics was a bit extreme. I have no first hand knowledge of them and I've not searched to find out more. Nevertheless, they might have some potential to knock out the electronics on an engine of a percieved hostile leaving them adrift.

Perhaps some research into this area might be productive. They are certainly non-lethal unless perhaps one of the pirates was wearing a pacemaker.

Just a thought,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 17:51   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Perhaps an appropriate response to FRED ?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
Old 08-05-2011, 19:21   #9

Send a message via AIM to NomadRip Send a message via Yahoo to NomadRip Send a message via Skype™ to NomadRip

There is a lot of information about these type of things from a company called Wicked Lasers. (I have nothing to do with them and have never used or bought one, but they have some pretty sizzly kind of lasers for sale.)

I've though about buying one. Not specifically for that purpose, but it's probably what the show you heard was talking about.

Getting there...
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 19:36   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Perhaps an appropriate response to FRED ?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
Actually HUD, I had that thought myself. I just might do a bit more research. The schematics are relatively simple but I'm not sure of range or scatter. I got the impression of about 100 yds. I'm not sure what would happen at slightly longer ranges. Perhaps degradation? It wouldn't do anything about the lights but he who attacks by electromagnetics shall perish by EMP?

I now have a quest.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 19:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Wicked Laser Scam
Old 09-05-2011, 05:07   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexam
Cannons! We need to start putting cannons on ships again! Or just threaten to rape and pillage them if they come on board.*

*Poster is insane and should not be taken seriously.
To quote a certain castle guard
Fecthez le vache
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor
Your comment on cannon was rather interesting. It is possible to build your own EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) cannon. I doubt most people would recognize it as anything but a bit of electronics. Now I have the schematics and the primary ingredient is simply the magnetron tube from a derelict microwave oven. The author of the schematics suggested using it to silence the stereos and such of annoying neighbors. I was interested in it for the same reason at an anchorage but decided frying ALL their electronics was a bit extreme. I have no first hand knowledge of them and I've not searched to find out more. Nevertheless, they might have some potential to knock out the electronics on an engine of a percieved hostile leaving them adrift.

Perhaps some research into this area might be productive. They are certainly non-lethal unless perhaps one of the pirates was wearing a pacemaker.

Just a thought,
Rich
You might do some math first and save yourself the unneccessary effort.

Dave
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12   #14

Boat: Westsail 32

:dead horsebeat:
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo