Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 15:30   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Weren't we all suppose to die back in the 1960s already? Guess that was wrong! Then the 70s, 80s, 90s,00s.

Meanwhile I don't see a lot of people blowing their brains out in other to reduce the the impact they are having on the planet.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 15:43   #32

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
The 60s and 70s are a purple haze to me. Who cares about the 80s,90s,00s. I still think we are depleting our water resources and this is unsustainable. I'll be long did before we know the answer.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:00   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Well, in all the doom and gloom, at least mahi mahi seems fairly sustainable & grow very rapidly. So at least we cruisers can eat them guilt free. Though need to catch them first.
As for the doom and gloom?? James lovelock hits the nail on the head i think.

Quote:
"Enjoy life while you can. Because if you're lucky it's going to be 20 years before it hits the fan."
Who knows.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:18   #34

OVERFISHING

I watched the stocks of fish go down in New England from the late 50s until I left in 1999. The thing that got me was ;folks taking a boatload of fish and then couldn't give them away, they just didn't have the sense to throw them back.
Of course then you had no BRAGGING RIGHTS.
That is a subject dear to my heart, Barnekiel
Nusailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:23   #35

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Well fstbttms, i don't know whats going on in your back yard but I do know whats going on in mine, because i am in most days and nights. Iknow when they tell us there is no cod fish left and we go for halibut, theres a cod on every second hook. They tell us the cod fish do not eat small lobsters, but catch a cod in rich lobster ground and guess what the belly is full of small lobsters. Anyways my head is not in the sand.....but maybe my a$$ and my toes in the water.........
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:24   #36

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Hopefully, after the end of civilization mentioned in the OP, the fish may have a little time to recover. I really don't want to have to use myself as bait Kevin Costner style...
Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:43   #37

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Well, in all the doom and gloom, at least mahi mahi seems fairly sustainable & grow very rapidly.
It grows as rapidly as you feed it rapidly. In aquacultures.

But once the species it feeds on in nature become depleted, so will Mahi Mahi. So, all fine in NY, but not quite so offshore.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:47   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
shucks does' that mean we're going to have to eat tofu sushi?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 16:49   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
watch the gom for a while-- the underwater submersibles sent ther eto see the bottom have found no permanent life forms there--only transients...is oily gooon bottom about 1/2 in thick slime they said.... was 2 in--has improved but the death and estruction under th e goo is immeasurable.
yes i catch fishies and eat em, just not more than i can eat in one sit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:00   #40

Boat: Sceptre 41
When we run out of oil the Dee[ Sea fisherman won't be able to do that profitably and the fish will start to grow back. If fishing is banned in an area it is amazing how fast the populations grow back.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:24   #41

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Endless fish people have got the same shrill feel to them as creationists and global warming deniers.. coincidence?
Old 08-02-2011, 17:29   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
sugest looking up recipies for goose neck barnacles and mussels when the fish run out, moule marinier..........yum
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:44   #43

No-one likes to see the loss of any species. But I can never see the point of the talk of doom based on the notion that there are too many people in the world. China does have a population restricting policy which has been eased in recent years as the consequential problems have become clearer. So what other solution is there to there being too many folks? Shoot them? That's been tried too but is not recommended. Increasing population is a fact that we have to live with, not something we can do much about.

But despite the railing against modern economies, it's the very success of those economies that (given population growth) provides the best protection for the environment and has the strongest dampening effect on population growth; only the weathy with guaranteed pensions can afford fewer children and have the time and cash to consider the fate of the planet's other species.

For example, the management of fisheries is increasingly subject to international protocols but the impetus for it comes from environmental movements in wealthy nations. Prior to the introduction and policing of quotas, it was common for fisheries to be fished until they were entirely depleted - despite the fishing industry's denials.

The problem for the Malthus theory was that it looked at only one side of the ledger. That is, it saw food production as static, when of course it grows in response to demand. One example relating directly to the OP's post is the development of fish farms. They are everywhere off our coasts and more will follow; the same trend that saw wild game largely replaced by farmed stock.

That 'filling the void' is a core principle of the practice of evolution; new species are evolving constantly to fill newly created voids. Evolution is not something that happened a long time ago; it's happening now and there is lots about it in the science literature. Here's a recent favourite. Birdfeeders Found to Cause Evolution of New Species : TreeHugger
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 19:08   #44

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
When we run out of oil the Dee[ Sea fisherman won't be able to do that profitably and the fish will start to grow back.
So it would be a question of which we would run out of first. Oil or fish.

The alternatives to oil are being explored. The alternatives to eating... not so much.
Old 08-02-2011, 19:30   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
When we run out of oil the Dee[ Sea fisherman won't be able to do that profitably and the fish will start to grow back.
So it would be a question of which we would run out of first. Oil or fish.

The alternatives to oil are being explored. The alternatives to eating... not so much.
Och Mon..... its been around for centuries...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fishing