Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 19:42   #46

Boat: Tartan 30
The Alaskan fisheries are a good example of strict regulation enforcement that still allows people to get rich, still feeds people, and at the same time prevents overfishing of a species.

Evolution is entirely different than mechanically and systematically decimating a species. Yes, the world will get along just fine one way or another, but the question is, what will it look like? Do you really want to live a world that doesn't have minke whales and bluefin tuna just because everybody was really hungry and too stuck-up to eat sardines?

Go to any American seafood restaurant, or any of the other restaurants that serve fish and look at the menu. Its the same 4 or 5 fish (if that), If not the no-name (now Pollack, used to be Cod) fish that nobody questions (with exceptions of course, we're talking large scale here)
It's not that 'fish' are disappearing and it's not about 'food'. It's specific species and fisheries. They can be monitored and regulated without much fuss, but that would require cooperation from both consumers (that don't care), and the corporations that are trying desperately to control markets and become bazillionaires.

The problem right now is that very few countries are enforcing, or even practicing, sustainable fisheries or (the minimum effort they could put out) international quota's. It's not that difficult to understand what needs to be done. But getting the people that make the rules, and the people in power to enforce them, to act rationally and stop taking bribes and being bought out (or implanted) by the global corporations that actually run stuff.. well, it's just not happening yet.

The basic issue is money. It's always about money.
Those who stand to make money do so without regard to consequences. Whenever people decide to take back their governments from the corporations, good things will (and have before) happen. The problem, as always, is getting enough people to involved, getting people to stop bickering over semantics, and start living as if there actually is a tomorrow.

BTW: ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33   #47

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
This is very misleading. The dead zone at mississippi delta is a little more involved then fertilizer run-off; one of the factors has been the clear cutting of the cypress swamps.

Your statement that ethanol farming has somethiing to do with environmentalists is even more misleading. Ethanol farming represents, in part, an effort to rely less on imported oil but even more it's about US corn production and agribusiness lobbying. If it was truly environmental in nature etahnol would be produced using cane from the countries where it's production is sensible but it is illegal to use that in the US as a result of protectionist measures for the corn crop.
It may not soley be the result of ethanol production, but it has increased proportionately to the increase in ethanol production, mainly supported by the enviromental lobby. Another example is the disposable plastic bags made from oil a non-renewable resource, to replace paper bags made from trees a renewable and biodegradable resource.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05   #48

sugest looking up recipies for goose neck barnacles and mussels when the fish run out, moule marinier..........yum

In the '70's a book called "edible...incredible" had recipes for goose neck barnacles. I went down to the Jetty at Garibaldi, OR, scraped and tried them...delish.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:25   #49

Boat: a sailing boat
Let's leave barnacles OUT of the equation ...

barnakiel ... ;-)

Seriously though - you will find barnacle recipes in Galicia (NW Spain) an Portuguese cuisine. They are a delicacy there and very dear. I saw them served in a bar in Sines (Pt) two years ago.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sea Food Foraging Recipes ➥ http://www.asudoit.com/pdfs/sea_food...ng_recipes.pdf

www . asudoit.com/pdfs/sea_food_foraging_recipes.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:51   #51

Boat: Tartan 34C
Oysters Dying Off

You thought oysters were EVERYwhere? Just another threatened species. No, they're not ALL dead and gone, just enough of them that the remaining numbers can't filter the sea water like they used to, further damaging the already degraded oceans. It's real, it's happening now, and it is getting worse FASTER than ever before. Spread the word.

Bye Bye Bivalve: Wild Oysters Could Go Extinct - Delish.com

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:34   #52
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Humans overfishing? Never. Wouldn't happen.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 13:42   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
No-one likes to see the loss of any species. But I can never see the point of the talk of doom based on the notion that there are too many people in the world. China does have a population restricting policy which has been eased in recent years as the consequential problems have become clearer.
China's population control policy: One child per family. Of course everyone chose to have a boy. Brilliant.

The whole thing is obviously, laughably hopeless so I don't know why I'm bothering t
o write this, but to my knowledge any kind of population control that could be called "reasonable" has never been tried. It's almost funny because everyone knows it's the only real solution to our problems, and yet it's off limits to even talk about!

For the record, it's not racist, elitist, or immoral to put the blame for continuing population growth, in a world which can no longer support that growth, exactly where it belongs: on the countries, cultures, religions, families, and even individuals who are causing it, anywhere and everywhere.
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 13:58   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

One girl, one boy per couple... if one child dies it can only be replaced by adoption of the equivilant sex...
if you get divorced both man and wife(ex)get sterilized if you've already had your quota.... tough titty you 2 timers... don't screw around
If nothing else it'll stabalise the population and screw up the divorce lawyers...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 14:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sea Food Foraging Recipes ➥ http://www.asudoit.com/pdfs/sea_food...ng_recipes.pdf

www . asudoit.com/pdfs/sea_food_foraging_recipes.pdf
That's a nice find Gord. I just wish it had pictures
Old 09-02-2011, 14:19   #56

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
It hurts my heart. There is a lot of rhetoric on both sides, but we used to be able to drag a hand line with a simple lure when cruising and nearly always have fresh fish to eat. Now we may go a whole season without a good mahi or tuna on the line. At least in the Bahamas there are fewer fish or they are just tired of my nice bright lures.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 14:42   #57

The good news is, with whales and tuna disappearing at alarming rates, the sardine stocks are up to epic levels, yummy!
And now that Sharks are being slaughtered by the millions, we have all the rays and skates we could ever want

Who wants to invest the next fisheries?
Old 09-02-2011, 14:48   #58
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
Interesting stuff but in the Illinois River the Asian Crap are jumping in the boats!! There is even a game of how many carp can be hit by a baseball bats as they fly through the air... The main problem is that Asian Crap grow fast and large and eat everything in site.. they are heading to the Great Lakes and the DNR is preparing to counteract they invading ways. Internet search of "Asian Crap in Illinois River" follow the links and you will see video of them flying through the air .... its beyond belief
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 16:03   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Let me google that for you

Did you mean: "Asian Carp in Illinois River"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 16:39   #60

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by biminijimini View Post
Interesting stuff but in the Illinois River the Asian Crap are jumping in the boats!! There is even a game of how many carp can be hit by a baseball bats as they fly through the air... The main problem is that Asian Crap grow fast and large and eat everything in site.. they are heading to the Great Lakes and the DNR is preparing to counteract they invading ways. Internet search of "Asian Crap in Illinois River" follow the links and you will see video of them flying through the air .... its beyond belief
That is toooo funny

Hey, we get a lot of Asian Crap here too... not at all like German engineering but so cheap

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fishing