Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 06:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Fishing License(s) While Cruising

Yeah...yeah, I know another fishing question. But after buying all this gear, I don't want to get in trouble for using it.

This one's for you snowbirds. With a quick search, it appears as NJ is the only state on the entire East Coast that doesn't require a license. I already registered with NOAA, since my mailing address is in NJ, but that still means I'll need a license in those other states if fishing in their waters.

So, how do you handle that when cruising?

I know Florida, at lest for lobster, I'd assume the same for fishing has a visitor license. You call an 800 #, tell them when you're arriving, how many days, and give them a credit card. They don't even give you a license, just a confirmation # over the phone. Do other states have similar systems?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 06:24   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Wow! You need a license to catch fish in the ocean now?
Old 19-08-2010, 06:43   #3

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
so true.

the price difference for in state out of state is drastic as well. I believe for FL it is 15 in state 50 out.

another thing to keep in mind is the rules change from state to federal at 3 miles i believe.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:31   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
If you fish with dynamite they leave you alone.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 07:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yeah I know. What a load of crap! Just another way for them to milk money out of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
the price difference for in state out of state is drastic as well. I believe for FL it is 15 in state 50 out.

another thing to keep in mind is the rules change from state to federal at 3 miles i believe.
REALLY! I remember the lobster license being only about $10. NJ does require a shellfish license, though, and it's about the same. $10 for residents and I think about $50 for non. That's for the year, though. A temp or visitor may be much cheaper in states that have them.

I guess you could just register with NOAA, and tell the locals that you caught everything 4 miles out.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:53   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38
I handle it by not fishing in most states unless well offshore trolling our "meat line." Not worth the hassle and cost to me. In some areas you will see wildlife patrols and fisheries patrols, and I bet they look for out of state boats. I suppose if I were planning on staying in say the Florida Keys for a couple of months I might get a license.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:54   #7

How far offshore do you have to be before the local fish-n-feather guys leave you alone? Aside from the dynamite and harpoon cannons, of course.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:34   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
How far offshore do you have to be before the local fish-n-feather guys leave you alone? Aside from the dynamite and harpoon cannons, of course.
I think 3 miles off the East coast and 9 miles off the Gulf and West coast. But I'm just finding that on other boards. Not on any official state or federal sites. Except one from Texas that did say 9 miles.

Check this out. Has links to the licensing info for every state. Some are a PITA. You have to fill half the application out before you even see the price. Anyway East Coast, looks like some states, FL and GA for example are complete crooks. NC not too bad, $10 for a 10 day non resident. And MD doesn't even offer a yearly non resident. They're price on the temp is pretty ridiculous too.

Sounds like trolling off shore really is the only way.
Old 10-02-2015, 19:48   #9

Boat: Catalina 22 Trailerable
Re: Fishing License(s) While Cruising

type into google: fishing regulations: Gulf of Mexico Gulf of Mexico Fishery management council and all sorts of links and licensing and seasons for fish and shell fish and similar searches for up and down eastern seaboard pop up

I bumped into this thread while researching licensing for my newfound hobby fishing and trolling while sailing. I am hoping to go down Mississippi to gulf and around loop in the fall with a gent.
jeffjdmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 19:59   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

If you are outside of state waters, pulling one or two lines, I don't see how anyone would give you a problem. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, I just have never had a problem with it.
Old 10-02-2015, 21:38   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If the weathers semi clear, and I can't see land , I fish. Never had a problem yet, with over 40 years of sailing thru out the Pacific, and the Gulf ,Carribe, and just about everywhere else! Maybe Im just lucky maybe?? but then if your on a sailboat dragging a meatline offshore who's going to check you out ?? the coasties have never asked me about my fishing habits !! LOL Sometimes folks worry to much!! but I will say if your going to fish in Mexican waters get a Mexican Lic. LOL don't ask !!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:47   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Most states have reciprocal fishing license agreements with neighboring states. So if you wanted to be fully legal for the whole US east coast, you could pick strategic states on the way down the ICW, check each one's reciprocity agreements, and be covered.

My NY license covers me in CT and RI.

Maryland covers you for Virigina, and vice versa.

A Georgia license covers you for AL, NC, SC, and FL. A pretty good deal!

Etc.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 16:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
A Georgia license covers you for.... FL. A pretty good deal!

Etc.
No it doesn't. You better check with the FWC in Florida.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 04:31   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Sorry -- my bad.

There is a recipricity agreement, but it only covers a tiny portion of Florida waters.

Understanding Regulations and Requirements | Georgia DNR - Wildlife Resources Division

Florida Waters covered:
  • The waters and the banks of the St. Marys River, not including its tributaries.
  • The waters and banks of Lake Seminole, bounded on the west by Florida State Road No. 271; on the south by the Jim Woodruff Dam; on the east by the line immediately east of the Chattahoochee Marina (also known as the Booster Club) running northwest across the reservoir to the tip of land at the junction of the Flint and Chattahoochee rivers, west of Spring Creek; and on the north by the Herman Talmadge Bridge crossing the Chattahoochee River.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, license