Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-02-2022, 20:07   #1

Falling in a vessel at a boat show

Last week at the boat show">Miami Boat Show I had the misfortune of falling backwards onto my back while navigating the stairs to look at the berths. The new catamaran had dark wood steps without any slip edging. The lower light was off. It was the afternoon with a dark sky and poor outside lighting coming in. This new design vessel had no stair hand rails or grab points. As I reached what I thought was the bottom of the stairs I stepped out into thin air. Yes there was another step that I didn't see. Like as if a cartoon character falling backwards after slipping on a banana peel, I fell straight onto my back. No way to brace my fall, the full force and weight of my body had my back slam into the sharp edged wooden stair steps. Miami Fire came and attended to me. They asked if I wanted to be taken to the hospital. Bravely I said no. Famous last words. The next day the pain was out of this world. I took myself to a nearby hospital ER. I soon found myself having a CT scan. Before I knew it I was having a long swab stuck up my nose for a Covid test. I was then told I was being transported by ambulance to another hospital that had neuro and orthopedic surgeons. I was then told I had multiple fractures in my spine. Four days on morphine in hospital was just awful.

Apart from dealing with my physical issues of a broken back. I am having to deal with escalating medical expenses. I don't want too but circumstances force me to seek compensation. So since the accident happened in a boat that was "on the water" but stationary tied up at the boat show does this come under maritime law requiring a maritime lawyer or should I hire an accident attorney? Sorry to ask this in the forum but I respect the collective knowledge of cruisers on this here.

Tags
boat, boat show