Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2022, 11:35   #1

Do you think this cockpit is well designed ?

Hi everyone,

Newbee here. I'm new at cruising and fill really interested in living 4-5 months a year on a cat and I was wondering about how convenient is a forward cockpit.

As you can see there is no navigation table in this cockpit and not much space to add displays (autopilot, chartplotter, sensor). Do you think the cockpit of Windelo 50 is well designed for long-distance cruising ?

Thanks!
Nakamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 11:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Do you think this cockpit is well designed ?

Welcome to the forum, Nakamoto.

I'm tempted to ask "What cockpit?" I see the wheel and enough space for a few integrated screens. There must be a VHF hiding behind the microphone on the bench. Is it assumed that you will stand throughout a watch?

Not what I would choose. I'd start with a nav table and enough space for separate electronics and controls. But then, I'm on one extreme when it comes to separating instruments, and this position seems to assume a glass cocpit design.
Old 23-01-2022, 11:59   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Holy Macaroon

https://www.katamarans.com/windelo-50/
davil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 12:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Nakamoto.

I'm tempted to ask "What cockpit?" I see the wheel and enough space for a few integrated screens. There must be a VHF hiding behind the microphone on the bench. Is it assumed that you will stand throughout a watch?

Not what I would choose. I'd start with a nav table and enough space for separate electronics and controls. But then, I'm on one extreme when it comes to separating instruments, and this position seems to assume a glass cocpit design.
Hi Tkeithlu, thank you for replying so promptly. Despite all the glasses (some call it the "Greenhouse" ) this space is considered as an outdoor space in regards to the certification, so I assume it's kind of a covered cockpit. Standing position is a good point and I would probably put a chair next to the wheel.
Old 23-01-2022, 12:22   #5

[QUOTE=tkeithlu;3560632]Welcome to the forum, Nakamoto.

I'm tempted to ask "What cockpit?"
===============================
really
seems as a futuristic design of a Pilothouse/Motorsailer?
With all controls and piloting inside and out of the weather.
No real cockpit and not sure why the site describes it as a
"The Forward Cockpit"
Using the zoom can see a person standing on the foredeck.
Find this design Breathtaking, not sure how to think in terms of "classical" sailing, however, since they seem to be custom ordered imagine the designer/builder will have no problems adapting to what a buyer feels important for navigation, not sure about the "traditional navigation table" as we oldies remember given the use of paper charts is so seldom used (but not discarded)in favor of electronics.
The OP questions are well formulated, and again a matter to discuss with the builder.
Most vessels of this magnitude will have a significant array of electronics including communications etc.
WOW
Old 23-01-2022, 12:27   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Innovative and interesting ,good for long distance sailing, integrates cockpit into living are too.

I like it ,
Old 23-01-2022, 12:35   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Isn’t the MFD used in place of multiple single function displays? Just add more sensors and network them to the MFD if you desire. This “forward cockpit” which seems more of an enclosed helm has two helm stations and two MFD’s. I’d add a proper helm seat for both stations and perhaps a folding chart table or two for those times they might be convenient.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 12:43   #8

[QUOTE=Orion Jim;3560674]Isn’t the MFD used in place of multiple single function displays?
===============
this Leopard video at 2:23 shows the MFD as well as other instruments.

Old 23-01-2022, 21:40   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Consider the auto pilot is driving the boat 99% of the time.
There is a large MFD and a vhf to the right of the wheel.
I love chart tables, you can store a ton of junk on and under them. Yes I carry and use paper charts but I use the chart plotter or my laptop a lot more. I'm sure there's a large table in the salon for charts and planning. You could put a board in place of the top step if you wanted.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 22:29   #10

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Compared to a standard 'cockpit' this is fantastic. I've NEVER seen a navigation table outside in a traditional cockpit. Nav stations are below/inside typically. This design is great for watch keeping and long passages. But it compromises the outdoor/at anchor relaxing area. This boat has a very small aft deck area. So I think the question is kinda odd. The Windelo layout is leaning toward the sailing operation of the boat, vs lagoon et. al that design wise typically lean toward comfort at anchor... this boat has a fantastic helm/cockpit area IMO... Yes, i agree a captains chair and a chart table could be good additions, but you can't add those in most boat's 'cockpits'.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 00:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nakamoto.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 02:41   #12

Thank you all for your greetings, answers and suggestions. I'll continue to read the forum it's really a great source of information.
Old 24-01-2022, 03:21   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Not sure how many more displays you need: with modern electronics, you can fetch everything into one screen and then toggle though screens at need or customize your display. Fooling around with the display is a great way to while away time on watches.
What I don't like about fully enclosed cockpits is that any light, even from a dim binnacle compass, reflects off the inside surface of the glass and you can't see out. At all. Any sort of moisture in the air makes it worse.
If you're used to standing watch at the helm in an open cockpit, actually watching with your eyes, the glass or isinglass bubble people like to enclose themselves with really makes you feel like you're flying on instruments alone. Not to knock instruments: I love me a good AIS, especially when delivering a boat with such a bubble at the helm, but nothing is safer than having access to the instruments and the eyeball at the same time. The enclosure forces a choice of one over the other, when you really need access to both at once.
Old 24-01-2022, 08:53   #14

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Looked at the pics and I really have no idea why they bothered putting the door between the dining/galley area and the helm. Can close off the entire area with what looks like a drop down rear door like Seawinds. Very similiar to Gunboats except for the doors between helm and salon area.

I still don't understand the reasons for the open cockpits in front of the salon. If you look at videos of any of them going to windward around to beam reaching that is a very wet area (and cold in many locals). Not sure about inside helms either, but they do offer very protected area to run the boat. Must admit that I usually stand watch sitting on the setee with an autopilot remote in my hand in any inclement conditions, especially if the wind is forward of the beam (i.e. spray coming over the boat).

Other observation is that the living areas look small for a 50' cat. Most have the front of the salon further forward with resultant increase in salon / cockpit area. Since you are not going to be underway 90% of the time those areas become more important, IMHO.

The aft cockpit on this is very small and is really the main place to sit out if the weather is nice but the wind is blowing too hard to want to sit on deck up forward.

BUT, different strokes for different folks so I'm sure this is ideal for many people, just not for me.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 09:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit