Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 09:50   #76

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Day Shapes while Anchoring

LOL, the LEOs on my lake don't even know what proper lights are for a sailboat under sail at night. Yes, I got stopped. I had to show them online. They would have no clue what a day shape is .
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 09:51   #77

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Which is better; a gun shaped anchor on a cat, or on a mono ?
I’m not quite sure about the answer to this one, but I’m going to host it up in my rigging the next time I’m at anchor or steaming. Ha ha ha.

But seriously, it is kind of weird that this gets such responses. Just above, people are getting impatient. They are getting upset that we don’t use those in this part of the world.

I can’t imagine going into an Anchorage or anywhere and not being able to tell if a boat is moving or not. To be searching carefully for a black ball that is located somewhere on the boat that I have to see in order to figure out if the boat is moving or not. It really bends my brain. Ha ha ha.

Of course if I was in an area that uses them I certainly would. But unfortunately I am stuck in North America for a while.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:08   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Day Shapes while Anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I can’t imagine going into an Anchorage or anywhere and not being able to tell if a boat is moving or not. To be searching carefully for a black ball that is located somewhere on the boat that I have to see in order to figure out if the boat is moving or not. It really bends my brain. Ha ha ha.
No searching required if mounted correctly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	266016   Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	266017  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:12   #79

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Agreed. Mine is visible from pretty much any direction other than directly astern. It's kept tied to an extra boat hook that just gets shoved in between the fender holders and rail when anchored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220912_165713978.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	266018  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:20   #80

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Here's the thing... those of us who cruise in areas where shapes are not used, have no trouble managing this challenge. There are lots of ways an observant crew can use to tell if a boat is moving.
As I said, the only value I see in the ball is not to tell you if a boat is moving or not, but to tell you that it is not going to start moving.

The only time I have met this situation was sailing among the many anchored freighters in English Bay, one of them had just lowered his ball, pulled up his anchor and was getting underway. A 200m ship accelerates pretty slowly, so from a standing start is very hard to tell that it's moving, but once the anchor is up it *is* moving, and getting faster ... an anchored freighter I treat like an island, but a moving freighter has definite no-go zones ahead of it.

Edit ... I wasn't looking for the ball initially ... but one of the ships sounded its horn (hard to tell which of the many ships), and the lack of anchor ball was a good clue as to which one.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:29   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

See post #9 in this current thread in Trawler Forum.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:40   #82

I should add ... I only got into the habit of looking for anchr balls since on a previous occasion in the Gulf Islands it was me that got 5 blasts for being the WAFI trying to sail straight ahead of a freighter that had just got underway ... since half the time the anchor chain is the other side of the ships bow and not visible, I thought to myself "if only there was a way to tell if it is still anchored or not."
Old 19-10-2022, 10:40   #83

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
As I said, the only value I see in the ball is not to tell you if a boat is moving or not, but to tell you that it is not going to start moving.

The only time I have met this situation was sailing among the many anchored freighters in English Bay, one of them had just lowered his ball, pulled up his anchor and was getting underway. A 200m ship accelerates pretty slowly, so from a standing start is very hard to tell that it's moving, but once the anchor is up it *is* moving, and getting faster ... an anchored freighter I treat like an island, but a moving freighter has definite no-go zones ahead of it.

Edit ... I wasn't looking for the ball initially ... but one of the ships sounded its horn (hard to tell which of the many ships), and the lack of anchor ball was a good clue as to which one.

These threads are addictive. My question about this post is this.

Didn’t the absence of an anchor chain going down into the water clue you in that it was underway, even if stationary?

That’s how we tell over here in the non-blackball side of the world. But I guess you probably aren’t really looking for that because you are looking for the black ball over there. We are more looking at how the boat is moving or not. And if it has anchoring tackle down in the water or not.

You know when you are driving a car and you see the wheels turn ever so slightly on the other car so you know exactly what it’s going to do? that’s how we perceive it here where we don’t have the black balls in use. We can just see what the boat is doing. By observation.

I guess there are a lot of things like that that we don’t have over here. If you think about that whole kit that French people are required by law to use when they drive. That neon yellow vest. All of those flares and whatever else they carry. We don’t carry any of that kind of stuff. Just a different culture I guess.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:50   #84

It’s amusing to read yet another thread on this topic. And as usual, the argument seems to be “They’re stupid, unnecessary, and nobody does it” vs. “it’s the law”, and “possible liabilities”. These apples to oranges arguments get made over and over, when as counterpoints, they’re irrelevant. Few of the “It’s the law/liability” types argue that there is any real safety benefit, nor disagree that they are mostly stupid from a visual standpoint for the majority of small vessels. Conversely, the crowd stating they are “Unnecessary” really have no argument that it ISN’T the law.

Maybe a better use of folks time would be with confronting the rule makers - proposing that day shapes are unnecessary for any vessel less than 60’ and not towing. I don’t know… just a thought.

Back to the argument!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:51   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
These threads are addictive. My question about this post is this.

Didn’t the absence of an anchor chain going down into the water clue you in that it was underway, even if stationary?

Which is more visible ... the chain or the ball?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200926_135943039.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	266031  
Old 19-10-2022, 11:10   #86

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I guess I’m gonna spend the rest of my days looking for those black balls now, which may or may not a good thing.
The photos used in the thread are from very close up, and angled for maximum visibility. I suspect the ball is not going to be visible against a mountain backdrop, which is the normal way of things around here. At least not unless one goes a lot closer than usual with the binoculars, which here would be considered rude, and certainly unnecessary.
But I can see it being helpful in some situations out in the world where it’s more crowded. And at least everyone who’s made it this far in the thread knows what the black ball looks like, if we ever see one. So that’s good.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 11:25   #87

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Didn't you make the argument that you could see the anchor chain - now you're complaining that the ball is tiny. I'd argue that ball is a lot more visible than the chain, and likely would be visible from more angles than the chain.

I can see the boat before I see the ball or chain.

Don't hit the boat - simple.

Do people really steer towards boats that aren't moving
Don't see a ball , run around waving arms shrieking "OMG, there's no ball" and hit it anyway?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 12:07   #88

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would definitely have to to search for that tiny ball in the sailing yacht. Long before that I would have realised that she's not moving and have an anchor chain out.

I'm in the Med. Very few boats uses an anchor ball.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 12:26   #89

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Which is more visible ... the chain or the ball?
I couldn't see either
But I could see this massive orange ship

Here's a tip.......don't hit that.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 12:30   #90

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I couldn't see either
But I could see this massive orange ship

Here's a tip.......don't hit that.
Agreed. But as mentioned earlier, if the ship appears stopped, the ball gives 1 piece of info that may be useful in avoiding the ship (whether it's going to remain stopped or may start moving at any time). Of course, anything that big should have class A AIS, so if they've got their status properly set, that will tell you if it's anchored or just stopped.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring