Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 11:52   #31

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: Cruising start at 55 or 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Did you by any chance reverse those digits? Did you mean at 55 or at 65?
I don't see how the cash kitty could almost triple in one year...
Easy. I'll be in the same position as the OP. Each year we delay the kitty grows fast. After the kids get out of the house in 2 more years and we downsize, our kitty will grow QUICKLY. Biggest raise in the world would be 3 independent kids. My salary divided by 5 = no big deal. My salary divided by 2 = QUICKLY rising kitty.

However, given my family history of cancers and heart issues, I am going as soon as I can.

As a tech guy, I can always find good work even at age 60+ if I need to later on.

- Ray
future s/v ~ Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:00   #32

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

That's a lot of difference for one year.

I too am generally in the 'go now' camp, but in your case as with our own, you're still young enough, if the reward is high enough; unless of course you're commercial saturation-diver or similar, in which case you should've gone last year!

We left at 44 & 43, though as I noted we deferred for a year on discovering that Lesley's employer had a major project for which he needed her specifically; the deal offered was stay one year, we'll pay you for two and a decent pension hike down the line too. I blew out my high-stress/long-commute job (the primary reason for going) and accepted another with far less hassle (and money) nearer home, giving me the time/energy to concentrate on the boat; we left with a lot more cash and a much better prepared boat and have reaped the benefit of that year for the last twelve.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:20   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I wonder how many of the "go now" people have 90+ year expectancies in mind?

I fully believe that you must reach for your dreams, and reach for them NOW, but decades of poverty, when you are not so able, suck.
It's an interesting thought experiment Thin, this peering into the future. Maybe it comes down to where one's focus is; are you present-focused, or future-focused (or perhaps even past-focused, as most very elderly folk are). Of course, we're a balance of all perspectives, but it's clear that some people give a greater emphasis to present vs future than others.

Or maybe it's that sense of mortality some people have, or learn (the hard way). We all know that none of us are getting out of this alive, but it often takes a real brush with death to wake us up to this fact. These life-changing events usually push people to live more for the now.

Perhaps too it comes down to how much security or certainty your life has had up till now. Those who have never had much certainty in life (I count myself in this crowd) are more versed in living with an unknown and insecure future. Those who've been able to exert more control over their present and future lives are probably well-trained to pursuing life like this.

The thing about doing something off the beaten path, like sailing away in a small boat, is that it demands that we dance in the mystery. I am not a reckless person, but I also know how little in my life is controllable. I'm content to live with uncertainty ... more so than others (but less so than some).
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The thing about doing something off the beaten path, like sailing away in a small boat, is that it demands that we dance in the mystery. I am not a reckless person, but I also know how little in my life is controllable. I'm content to live with uncertainty ... more so than others (but less so than some).
Mike, I really think that you will make a good cruiser... that's a nice philosophy!

Jim
Old 06-01-2015, 12:39   #35

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, read, read, read. Read Outerbridge Reach and you may not want to leave the dock.
Nope ! I disagree... beside sailing & biking, I paraglide & I read all the paragliding accident descriptions in order to avoid them:

Paragliding Miracle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morne-Rouge.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	95096  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:47   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

My thought on SB going now, is the poor fellow has already had one heart attack, a year or so ago. Sort of figure the SO would have $350K+ or more after SB sails off to the sky. Which from my point of view is a chunk O change. That with SSI+ survivors bene, is not too shabby.

Myself I'm already enjoying a life in poverty, as I did growing up. It's not that bad actually. Pretty nice really. I enjoy it FAR more then when I had a 6 figure income and working 70-80 hours a week.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 13:11   #37

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

"...enjoying a life in poverty...I enjoy it FAR more then when I had a 6 figure income and working 70-80 hours a week."

You and me both You get (or at least feel) younger again when you take a deep breath and step off the treadmill too.

'Wealth' unless you talking the super-league variety, is IMO vastly over-rated. I came to the conclusion that Britain, indeed the whole 'first' world is populated by billions of people who're working way too hard, just so they're able to buy/pay for things that they don't really need. Even worse, there are millions out there working way too hard to buy things that they don't even want! But, because their brother/friend/next-door-neighbour/work-mate has one, then they just have to have one too
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:21   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cruising start at 55 or 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Lucky you - you will increase your money by six times!

Mark
Yeah, I wish it worked that way. I doubt we will be in any better shape financially, We are waiting to get our youngest off to College. Most of my "kitty" will be from Military retirement, and I'm getting that now. When wife turns 60, she can draw whatever teacher retirement she will get, I should be eligible for SS then, so after we have been out for a few years our money should increase substantually.
House and land is paid for and will be sold to hopefully buy rental property / property to eventually move back to when we have to return. I'm not counting on that money for cruising, but surely it wouldn't be insignificant?

Should be's, don't make honey though so we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:36   #39

Most people stay on the treadmill in one way or another until they die. Fear is always the culprit and it is very impressive. Governments use it, religions use it, businesses use it and even your spouses use it. It is without a doubt the most effect way to maintain "crowd control" but I'm actually happy it works so good because if the masses actually got over their fears there would be no room in the anchorages in far away places. Sailors that actually do cut their dock lines should be happy things are the way they are.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:41   #40

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I think the answer to Sailorboy's question depends on how happy (or miserable) he is with his current life. If he is miserable and believes that leaving on the boat will make him happier, then he should absolutely go right f@@king now.

If he is a happy camper now, then he should wait the extra year. No big deal if he dies before leaving because he was already happy.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:41   #41

Boat: Bristol 27

[QUOTE=ALAIN97133;1717310]Nope ! I disagree... beside sailing & biking, I paraglide & I read all the paragliding accident descriptions in order to avoid them:

This was in answer to what the other guy was saying about read, read, read. So you have read Outerbridge Reach and it motivated you to be on the water? You do know what happens in the end correct?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:46   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My thought on SB going now, is the poor fellow has already had one heart attack, a year or so ago. Sort of figure the SO would have $350K+ or more after SB sails off to the sky. Which from my point of view is a chunk O change. That with SSI+ survivors bene, is not too shabby.

Myself I'm already enjoying a life in poverty, as I did growing up. It's not that bad actually. Pretty nice really. I enjoy it FAR more then when I had a 6 figure income and working 70-80 hours a week.
SB had a heart attack? Another guy has back problems. Another knee problems.

You folks might want to consider getting off the boat and to the gym. Mix in a little exercise and stretching with your cruising.

Maybe become a coastal cruiser so you can get in a run, bike ride, and visit to the gym while also stocking up on some decent food.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 17:16   #43

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

My wife TOLD me we were going cruising in a year... I loved my job and was not ready... Left anyway and have few regrets I was also 55 and we had no kids so we saved millions (Ha Ha ) .

I would suggest short cruisers to great places ... it worked for me. We have graduated to 8months on the boat and 4 in the house. I would recommend a land based flat or small home or even a storage unit...just to have a jumping off place just in case

We spent our youth on boats and wondered if we could do this at 55 but it was / is ..just fine.

Just do not make your first voyage as cruisers a long passage

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02   #44

Boat: Ericson 34
Talking Re: Cruising start at 55 or 56

[QUOTE=thomm225;1717508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Nope ! I disagree... beside sailing & biking, I paraglide & I read all the paragliding accident descriptions in order to avoid them:
This was in answer to what the other guy was saying about read, read, read. So you have read Outerbridge Reach and it motivated you to be on the water? You do know what happens in the end correct
?
No, but I guess something terrible ? It doesn't matter, what's important is what you learned in the books. I've just checked on Wikipedia where it says "Outerbridge Reach is based loosely on the story of Donald Crowhurst": I know the real story of the British sailor who chikened out in the Atlantic while pretending he was doing the Golden Globe Race (Around the world race)... By the way I'm looking for books that I read when I was 20/25 about a British couple who wrote several books while sailing around the world on their small sailboat... Later on, they had a much bigger steel sailboat built in Holland -I think- & they kept cruising & writing about cruising around the world ? Could somebody remind my their names ? Thanks
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:27   #45
cruiser

I totally agree with my fellow Canadian Mike OReily above. But, back to the original post by the OP and his concerns. In our household, I'm all for the go now, we're all set... let's do it. But my wife on the other hand, wants far more financial stability than is required; her primary concern is always having gold plated health care insurance which I don't think is necessary. Why live and work your entire life worrying about stuff that might and probably won't ever happen.... but we each only get one vote in our household democracy.

So... 4-5 months will have to do for now (maybe six next year), then when she turns 62, which is three years and 240.5 days from now... I'm done, finished working and off... She can come along or continue to work and commute back and forth to the boat wherever it might be at the time.

I understand sailorboy's dilemma, which is why I've offered to assist him privately with his concerns, but still waiting for a response (crickets). There are alternative ways to approach the situation which aren't always plan A or plan B.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising