Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 17:28   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Cruising in Caribbean with sailboat equipped with an Atomic 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Never heard of a gasoline solenoid and I used to run a Sportfisherman with twin 454’s too.
Sniffer is nice though, and I always ran the blower for a couple of minutes prior to starting too. I don’t think it’s needed once the engine is on, but other than shortening its life, can’t hurt.

Normally I would agree on not needing to run the fan all the time but the engine on a 323 is buried deep and sits right next to the ice box/fridge. The engine has really poor air circulation with the stock set up. If you run a high volume (tube axial fan) blower you can substantially reduce the engine compartment temperature and how long your fridge/ice box compressor runs or how much ice you have to sacrifice. The factory ice box had very poor insulation on it. Adding 3" of foam on the engine/icebox wall and aft wall helps a lot but so does running the blower while the motor is on and even 10 minutes after shut down if it was on a long run. Opening the engine door (below the sink) and the starboard sail locker after a long run helps a lot too. Helps get the heat out of the salon too.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:55   #17

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Have it add that it’s Africa hot with no wind cause you are going windspeed too.
I have that T shirt.
if you are going windspeed fumes wouldnt be a problem on the boat. even if they were just speed up a bit. on a sailboat why would you have tour engine on, spinnakers dont give diesel fumes
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 06:31   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

First I don’t have a Spinnaker, secondly with 7 kts of wind wing on wing, I’d make likely 2 knots downwind, maybe three but I doubt it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 17:35   #19

Boat: Pearson 323

Thanks for the great response to my question. My boat has the solenoid on the fuel line as well as the fresh water cooling system. The running of the blower is a great idea as well as the insulation. It appears the biggest issue Inwould need to worry about is the range or fuel consumption. Overall though I feel confident that it is feasible now. Thanks again. Scott SV Emmi Maria Pearson 323
SLynds3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 17:48   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
No problem mon. Nothing worse than motoring downwind at night with a diesel engine, with exhaust pushed into the cabin. Llike trying to sleep in the Port Authority Bus terminal!
On the other hand, do remember that diesels produce very little CO, but your Anemic 4 will generate significant concentrations of that gas, and it too will blow into the cabin... with no warning odor!

I know which I would prefer to suffer through!

Jim
Old 23-06-2018, 18:00   #21

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

If you have the factory tank you probably have about 30 to 40 hours run time of fuel assuming your prop is pitched right. So a range of about 150 to 200NM or more depending on how fast you want to go. For the Caribbean you will be fine as long as you fill 'er up between long legs of any trip. You can always carry some 5 gallon plastic cans like everyone else does. Plus you can involuntarily donate them to the locals on some Islands.

A good set of sails really helps. For head sails I found a 135 genoa and a Doyle UPS or similar (about 165 genny) light air sail on a luff furler is a good combo and really helps keep the "iron genny" from running. If you are going to the Caribbean you will often have more wind than you need.

My 323 icebox was useless until I added foam on the outside (engine side and aft} and put pour foam between the hull and the box and the bottom and the hull. I also used vacuum panels and foam board on the inside (then epoxy and fiberglassed a new interior) and a new top with magnetic seals and also vacuum panels. It's now smaller inside but holds cold really well. I can now proudly make perfect ice cubes!

Feel free to message me about mods to a 323. I have cruised extensively on mine and made many changes that improved life aboard. I also lived aboard for about 5 years.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 19:14   #22

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I live in Mexico and my I30 has an Atomic 4. I love it! I don't have fresh water, any solenoids; only electric fuel pump and electronic ignition. I also added an oil filter (Harley Davidson). In the 3 years I have been here with her I have not done anything to the motor other than yearly spark plugs/oil change and of course all filters. Diesel here is a little pricey and gas is more methanol but I have no qualms. And it it does need a fix or repair it's easy to do. You can still get the carb kit from a tractor on ebay for $18. Happy motoring...er...sailing!! PS, I run the 160 thermostat...haven't seen any reason to change.
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 01:28   #23

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
First I don’t have a Spinnaker, secondly with 7 kts of wind wing on wing, I’d make likely 2 knots downwind, maybe three but I doubt it.
yes if your daysailing and have to make a port or beat a tide but offshore i have had many days making less than 50 miles in 24 hrs rather than listening to the engine, only my opinion buts its far more relaxing to sail slowly down wind than to motor but obviously only if you have time . fortunately sitting in the cockpit breathing diesel fumes dosnt happen very often, regards
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 06:50   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have outboards on my cat, but all fuel is in overboard draining lockers.

I would seriously consider trying to do same and have nonfuel inside hull. Shutoff and run fuel out of engine before any overnights or when using stove, etc.
Old 29-06-2018, 15:28   #25

Boat: Pearson 30

Hello,

I have a Pearson 30 with the A4, and am also planning on heading south from Toledo within the next 2 years. So, I found your post and the replies quite interesting. For one, I would like to upgrade my fuel tank from a 20 gallon to 40, assuming there's room, and changing from raw water cooling to internal cooling would also be advisable. The list goes on, and new hull paint for salt water adds to the list.
In any case, please stay in touch and perhaps we can exchange ideas.

Bo, Sailon1

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:40   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
Hello,

I have a Pearson 30 with the A4, and am also planning on heading south from Toledo within the next 2 years. So, I found your post and the replies quite interesting.
I had a Pearson 30 with a volvo penta 2002. I wasn't ready to head south, so I sold it. Now I'm kicking myself. Good solid boat. No keel bolts. Fast.

I think there is plenty of space to replace the original fuel tank with a bigger one, and repair the soft cockpit sole if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck to you. You've got a great boat!

(edit: OMG, I've got a picture of the fuel tank of my old boat...what kind of crazy am I?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 016.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	172720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 020.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	172721  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42   #27

Just for safety, you probably already know, Carbon Monoxide would be the biggest concern compared to diesel, be sure to have detectors and alarms. Safe Travels !!
Dove1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 14:41   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove1955 View Post
Just for safety, you probably already know, Carbon Monoxide would be the biggest concern compared to diesel, be sure to have detectors and alarms. Safe Travels !!
...or just keep the blowers on and the hatches open when running the engine.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 14:58   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

You won't be the first cruiser in the Caribbean with an Atom Bomb. Take the recommended precautions and go for it. If you are concerned about it giving up the ghost, install an outboard bracket (Heavy Duty) and pack along a Tohatsu 6hp long foot. Got gasoline already, right?

Tags
boat, Caribbean, cruising, rib, sail, sailboat