Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 02:58   #16

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Re: Cruising, how much $$$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
I have no plans to watch the newbie video, but maybe we can turn this into a useful discussion nonetheless.

David, 10-18% of 230K every year sounds very high. If I take the middle of that figure it ends up as 30K/year just in maintenance? What does this include?

I looked at some long-term (8-10 years) cost numbers shared by a few cruisers and also asked some long-term boat owners I know, and the cost was closer to 10-15K a year, although of course individual years vary widely from this average.

This does not include fuel, docking, insurance etc. of course.

Regards,
- Fabian

Hi Fabian,

First, I live far from the Boat, so all maintenance was done professionally at $85/ hr., and in the last 3 years included a brand new NL 6kw gen, a new AirCon unit, new fridge/freezer, etc, it sadly was indeed averaging $25-30k per year. I accept that DIY would be far more affordable for people.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:01   #17

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

I sail down to the Caribbean from the Chesapeake with 4000 dollars to my name, 4 months later I sailed home to Florida with 2500, I went everywhere from virgins to grenidines and had the time of my life, I picked up bacpacker crew sxm and they made me feel like a gluttonous American even on my meager budget, fun can be free, and if you don't need a steak everynight 300 and month on food is easy, but you'll be making every meal yourself, do i wish I worked longer and saved up more, hell no.
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:04   #18

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Regarding only the food budget, from my experience in another life of living out of my VW camper all around the Med for the better part of a year, 300 is totally doable. Hell I could even get an alcohol budget in there... Secret of life: learn to love Indian food; there's nothing cheaper! We made our own flatbread with flour and water on a gas stove, and between rice and lentils and eggs and a few other things like dried legumes (all super cheap and keep well) plus a big box of spices, you really can chow down for pennies a day without ever being too bored. Then step it up, catch a few fish once in a while, make a curry, go about your day with a [emoji3] on your face
The best part about saving money on an Indian/hippie diet is that you will also save a lot on medical bills down the road.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising