Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2024, 06:15   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cruising and Modern Conveniences- All is good with Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
The Pardey's are the equivlent of taking a DC-3 instead of a a 787 Dreamliner to fly around the world. I just shake my head and say why.

Cheyne
Why?

The started their sailing together in like the late 1960's!

No 787's available at that time, just DC-3's!

Their boats were total beasts though being 30' or so but displacing as much as todays 40 plus foot boats.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 06:16   #47

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I said some of us "wanted" to do it the right way, but after sailing engineless for 14 years, I will use the engine when there is little to no wind.

When competing in a 100 mile beach cat race, it's a PITA when the wind drops off at 6-7 pm after you have already been racing for almost 12 hours and still have 30-40 miles to go.

On the other hand, I have completed the same race in 12 hours.

I've motor sailed in from about 50 miles out before with my 5 HP 4 stroke Mercury Outboard, but I had to go easy since I only had 1.5 gallons of gas onboard.
I think your original plans are more of the "traditional" way than the "right" way. I'm sure lots of people who cruised with very little would have loved to have a few more conveniences, they just either couldn't afford them or it wasn't reasonable to have them on a boat with the technology of the time.

As you're noting, with things like use of an engine, there's the goal (sail everywhere all the time) and then the reality (I want to go see that cool place and just can't reasonably get there without some amount of motoring).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 06:17   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Lin and Larry Pardey sailed the equivalent of five or six times, around the world, in engineless boats.
* However, they were often towed, in and out of anchorages, by other boats.
And, Don Street sailed his “Iolaire” without auxiliary power, for half a century.
However, I think going engineless, shitting in a bucket, and living without electricity, are unnecessarily extreme - but the [guiding] principles are basically sound.
I believe some of today's single handed ocean racers still use the bucket! Much cleaner than carrying all that crap with you onboard and less weight to carry.

They do have electric power though as most of us wouldn't want to sail without it more than a few days anyway.
Old 11-04-2024, 06:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think your original plans are more of the "traditional" way than the "right" way. I'm sure lots of people who cruised with very little would have loved to have a few more conveniences, they just either couldn't afford them or it wasn't reasonable to have them on a boat with the technology of the time.

As you're noting, with things like use of an engine, there's the goal (sail everywhere all the time) and then the reality (I want to go see that cool place and just can't reasonably get there without some amount of motoring).
Right definitely traditional as I learned a lot about cruising from Cruisers that were old (my age now) in the mid-1990's.

I was sailing engineless then with no electricity, no bucket, no radio or phone either.

When sailing at night, we used either a flashlight or light sticks in the rigging.

So, getting an old cruising boat in 2011 with engine, head, and electrical power plus radio, charts, and instruments was quite nice.
Old 11-04-2024, 06:33   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Times square: Then & Now
When the photo, on the left, was taken, around 1900, Times Square was still called Longacre Square.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:08   #51

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Why?

The started their sailing together in like the late 1960's!

No 787's available at that time, just DC-3's!

Their boats were total beasts though being 30' or so but displacing as much as todays 40 plus foot boats.
That was the 60's. This is not the 60's. All we can look back on with the Pardey's is how not to do it now that we have the technology to do it right.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:10   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

I mentioned the Pardeys, not because I think people want to, or even should, try to cruise the way they did. I mentioned them because of the principles behind their approach. These are still as valid today as they were back when Lin & Larry were out there.

BTW, Lin used to be an active member of CF. I'm not sure if she's still checking in, but I certainly valued talking to her through here.
Old 11-04-2024, 07:15   #53

Quote:
That was the 60's. This is not the 60's. All we can look back on with the Pardey's is how not to do it now that we have the technology to do it right.

Cheyne
It's a good way to start though I believe especially sailing without an engine as it teaches you to actually sail the boat.

One of the weirdest things I keep seeing is folks being "rescued" on their "sailboat" because of engine problems.

When you do get an engine though, it's quite nice.

I did the engineless thing for 14 years, so it was good training.

My boats didn't need much wind to get going though, but you get the training regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	288750   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	288751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	n3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	288752   Click image for larger version

Name:	H1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	288753  

Old 11-04-2024, 07:18   #54

Boat: Lagoon 380

I started with a Jeannaue 49 and then went to a Lagoon 380 and now moving to a motor yacht in the 60ft range. Those small boats will teach you nothing about cruising, sailing yes, but that is not cruising.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:27   #55

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

The Pardeys had a saying: If you can't fix it, why is it on your boat?

I think that saying has much value in today's increasingly complicated boats. People love the tech, love the status of a complex system, but the potential problems and headaches are legion.

We took a long cruise with a couple who had an incredibly complex Beneteau. Not only that, the instructions were in French, which they wouldn't read. They had a steady stream of minor headaches they couldn't remedy.

I love some of the innovations that have become common since I started sailing. Depth sounders. VHF. Solar panels. Chart plotters, especially Aquamap on a tablet. Roller furling. Autopilots.

Most of the other stuff, I can do without. Golf cart batteries are fine. I don't need an MFD. Radar isn't necessary where I sail. A phone is OK for keeping in touch. I don't need an instrument to tell me which way the wind is blowing. I'd rather conserve water than deal with a watermaker.

Simpler makes for a much easier life on board.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:32   #56

Quote:
I started with a Jeannaue 49 and then went to a Lagoon 380 and now moving to a motor yacht in the 60ft range. Those small boats will teach you nothing about cruising, sailing yes, but that is not cruising.

Cheyne
Sounds about right!

I've been working on cruising for over 12 years, and it's still hard to get used to as it is quite slow paced.

I had power boats as a teen into my 20's before I started racing beach cats, so I had a good background in boating.

I'm hoping the aging process will coincide with my distance cruising when I retire. Maybe I'll be ready for a slower lifestyle as I'll be about 69-70 years old.
Old 11-04-2024, 07:34   #57

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Sounds about right!

I've been working on cruising for over 12 years, and it's still hard to get used to as it is quite slow paced.

I had power boats as a teen into my 20's before I started racing beach cats, so I had a good background in boating.

I'm hoping the aging process will coincide with my distance cruising when I retire. Maybe I'll be ready for a slower lifestyle as I'll be about 69-70 years old.
It's possible, but you also might be better off finding a faster boat to outfit for cruising. Considering your sailing background, you may get more enjoyment out of the sailing part on a higher performing boat. And getting to the next interesting place sooner doesn't hurt either.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 07:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
The Pardeys had a saying: If you can't fix it, why is it on your boat?

I think that saying has much value in today's increasingly complicated boats. People love the tech, love the status of a complex system, but the potential problems and headaches are legion.

We took a long cruise with a couple who had an incredibly complex Beneteau. Not only that, the instructions were in French, which they wouldn't read. They had a steady stream of minor headaches they couldn't remedy.

I love some of the innovations that have become common since I started sailing. Depth sounders. VHF. Solar panels. Chart plotters, especially Aquamap on a tablet. Roller furling. Autopilots.

Most of the other stuff, I can do without. Golf cart batteries are fine. I don't need an MFD. Radar isn't necessary where I sail. A phone is OK for keeping in touch. I don't need an instrument to tell me which way the wind is blowing. I'd rather conserve water than deal with a watermaker.

Simpler makes for a much easier life on board.
This is pretty much it.
Old 11-04-2024, 07:40   #59

Quote:
It's possible, but you also might be better off finding a faster boat to outfit for cruising. Considering your sailing background, you may get more enjoyment out of the sailing part on a higher performing boat. And getting to the next interesting place sooner doesn't hurt either.
I've been looking and considering that but haven't seen the right boat, and things keep coming up.

Plus, I just bought new sails for the Bristol.

The old country house needs a new roof (shingles) and I'll be having that done in May. The ex needed a replacement vehicle so we got her one.

Oil burning heater failed at country house so replaced with heat pump.

Trees had to be removed which cost about $3,000.

And the list goes on.

I am thinking about getting a 14'-16' Jon Boat though for exploring the Barrier Islands again when I retire. Plus, some fishing. Bayside and seaside.
Old 13-04-2024, 06:02   #60

Quote:
Every time I do find a boat that is roomier and faster, it's just not that much faster.

Even something like a Gladiateur 33 is only about 1 knot faster. Many have tiller steering which would be nice though.

I'd need something like a Class 40 Aklaria which has a theoretical speed or 8.47 but can sail quite a bit faster than that.

A Class 40 is what Cole Brauer used to sail RTW. It's one of the few somewhat normal monohulls that would compare to beach cat racing. She was hitting speeds near 15 knots with hers during her voyage.

A boat like that though is not only more than I'd want to pay, but it's not practical I don't believe for a near 70 year old cruiser.

So, I stay with the boat I know and keep adding things or removing things. I removed the cabinet on the starboard side to make room for another settee and to give me a bit more room below.

Tags
cruising, enc