Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 17:23   #106

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Best Whiskey

Blended whiskeys or whiskys are best. Accept it. The highly-experienced master blenders know what they're doing.
Single malts are for aficionados who are into scotch tasting; and douchey manbun-wearing twats who pick beers by highest IBU; this type normally look down their noses at anyone drinking Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, but those are among the better-tasting and more approachable single-malts.
Pick whatever suits your palate and pocketbook.
For a mixed whisk(e)y drink I prefer an Old Fashioned or Manhattan, but dear wife likes rye (Crown Royal) with ginger-ale. CR's Northern Harvest rye is a lovely little sipper with a bit of ice, btw.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 21:26   #107
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

The best whiskey, rum, whatever, to have on board is the one you like. Anyone else's is just their taste

I prefer rum. I used to drink Cock Spur but it's almost impossible to get in the USA now. For whiskey I prefer Pendleton Canadian Whiskey. But I've had to lay off alcohol. It interferes with a couple of my meds. However, on special occasions I have a bottle on the top shelf of the cupboard. Does whiskey go bad? Ha ha ha ha ..........
Old 02-05-2022, 22:56   #108

Talisker, single malt
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:30   #109

Boat: currently boatless and looking

My whisky of choice is Bulleit bourbon...made in the US but owned by Suntory Japan. For me whisky is a cool weather drink...warm weather gets a Bombay Sapphire G&T. No "blazer" events allowed on my boat.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:43   #110

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Blended whiskeys or whiskys are best.
The 'best' is whatever an individual likes... period.

It is my understanding that blending is done to ensure a consistent product/relatively uniform taste across batches. There are plenty of unblended whisk(e)ys that are fantastic!
Old 03-05-2022, 10:49   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
The 'best' is whatever an individual likes... period.

It is my understanding that blending is done to ensure a consistent product/relatively uniform taste across batches. There are plenty of unblended whisk(e)ys that are fantastic!
Well there are very few "unblended" whisk(e)ys period. Single malts are generally blended too, but limited to the barrels of that distillery, in that style. As the flavour profiles available to their blenders are more limited, single malts tend to vary more from batch to batch, and tend to express their (for lack of a better word) terroir, in a more pronounced fashion. Hence Glenfiddich, despite being a single malt, is generally more consistent and approachable, while an Islay whisky tends to be more of an acquired taste.

It is true that there are some exceptional single malts, but like capturing lightning in a bottle - it's hard to repeat.

What are generally labelled as blended whisk(e)ys are sourced from several distilleries, so the blenders are better able to smooth out the "rough edges", and yes, tend to stick to a flavour profile, for which their distillery is known. From year to year or batch to batch, this can actually vary quite a bit, but for the average consumer, it's not readily apparent.

Single-barrel whisk(e)ys exist, but tend to be rarer - and of course tend to have more "unique" flavour profiles. I think they are better suited to real whisk(e)y connoisseurs, and generally feel that single-malts are too, although if you find one you like, then stick with it. Everyone has their own tastes.

But if you plan to offer drinks to your guests for sundowners, then a blended whisk(e)y will probably appeal more broadly. IMHO
Old 03-05-2022, 11:52   #112
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Lagavulin .. 16 year old.
Old 03-05-2022, 15:14   #113

Quote:
Well there are very few "unblended" whisk(e)ys...

It is true that there are some exceptional single malts...

What are generally labelled as blended whisk(e)ys...

Single-barrel whisk(e)ys exist...
Ummm, do you have a man-bun... ?
Old 03-05-2022, 15:39   #114

Quote:
Ummm, do you have a man-bun... ?
No. I like beer that tastes like beer, not hop-juice; and whisky or whiskey that is balanced and smooth; not like licking an ashtray.
Old 03-05-2022, 16:15   #115

Quote:
No. I like beer that tastes like beer, not hop-juice; and whisky or whiskey that is balanced and smooth; not like licking an ashtray.
"Pick whatever suits your palate and pocketbook..."
Old 03-05-2022, 17:56   #116

Boat: Cal 39 Mark II

The best whisky is the 2021 Hampden "Great House" Distillery Edition Rum.
s3raphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:56   #117

Boat: CT 48

Quote:
"Pick whatever suits your palate and pocketbook..."
So much this- I have an uncle that only likes Bud Light, so that's what I get for him when he's over. He enjoys it, and doesn't have the palate for micros at all, whether they're Pilsners or other Lagers, or some sort of IPA or porter/stout. For me, I like barrel-aged imperial stouts, IPA's of every color (imperial, hazy, triple IPA, etc)... To him, they just taste 'bad' but to me, I enjoy the subtle (or not so subtle) nuance.

I also like scotch on the very smoky end specifically because it's so different from Bourbon. Different strokes!
Old 04-05-2022, 10:07   #118

Boat: O’Day 40

To respond to an earlier post, BLANTON's is top of the line bourbon and at over $100 a bottle, best shared with a small, very small group of friends. Would be sacrilegious to mix it- really, the bourbon gods might strike you dead.

Nearing retirement, I have become a purveyor of modest priced bourbons ~$30 and would include Evan Williams Small Batch & Woodford Reserve are pretty flavorful. Again, if you're going to mix, something cheaper like Jim Beam will suffice.

Current fav Scotch is Balvenie Double Cask, but at $60 is becoming out of reach.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:21   #119

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I propose and I’m surely not unique we don’t let anyone in the medical business pay a drink at our clubs for at least two years and never alone. Keep the cheap bourbon for Dentists for abuse revenge cause Gin is too evil.
We already treat vets that way. Not the old ones we are trying to forget.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:56   #120
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Whiskey , meh , gin is the only spirit worth having on board