Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 14:30   #121

Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVFaith View Post
Good morning, Pogo 12.50, Blue water, fast hull, made to be run short handed, simple systems. Super strong. Good interior. Definitely take you through the trying times. You may be able to find one with a swing keel. Tiller or twin wheels. All the benefits of a modern boat. Plenty on the market.
A swing keel would have some benefits. I'll check it out.
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 14:34   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlepera View Post
Saw a 34 Morgan up in Massachusetts for sale 13K. It would be a good start
I picked up a Morgan 34 for $3.5K about 6 years ago. Didn't like the restrictive cabin and traditional dinette format. Prefer an open floorplan and a map desk.

Nice boat in general though. Not sure how it would do on open water in a storm.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:34   #123

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I have absolutely no idea what all the long keel stuff was about.
I have a running chine two wee rudders two wheel with a rump so wide you have to pack a lunch to travel between them. 2+ meter keel avec wing. I thought the whole point was to minimize drag and let the two wings balance
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 14:35   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodxcharly View Post
Here is a link with all the information you will probably need along with a list of sail boats.

Happy sails!

http://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Selecting-and-Purcashing-an-Ocean-Cruising-Sailboat-by-John-Neal.pdf
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:36   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillr View Post
I understand what you mean by Blue Water and Island Hopping. I am 83 and have been around for awhile having sailed most Oceans and many Islands.
For me the best I have seen for short handed sailing is the island Packet 40. Solidly built in FL. Reasonable length for good storage, very comfortable, original has main reefing all from cockpit, long keel for longitudinal stability and shoal draft for skinny anchorages, lots of storage space, quality construction, heavy duty Edson rack and pinion steering etc. Here is a study on the craft by someone who has done it.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...and-packet-40/
And, oddly enough, I have mine for sale now. My last voyage was a solo trip to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska and home to Seattle. About 10,000 miles. I have answered most all the concerns mentioned by the article. Boom furling with electric main on the hoist. Doubles up for a number of other things. Over 1000 amp hours of battery capacity. Self Steering water maker etc. It was set up purposely for Short handed or solo sailing. I hate to see it go but health has slowed me down a little and it is time.
I'll definitely check it out. You're actually the second person that mentioned it.

How much are you asking on yours? Do you have photos and a link?
Old 25-05-2022, 14:37   #126

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I have absolutely no idea what all the long keel stuff was about.
I have a running chine two wee rudders two wheels with a rump so wide you have to pack a lunch to travel between them. 2+ meter keel avec wing. I thought the whole point was to minimize drag and let the two wings balance.
What do I know I came from decades of power boating. Deep V learn to fly or wallow
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 14:39   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Try an Ericsson 38. YouTube has a guy who has single handed it quite on distances. Make sure you get a shallow keel version, 5’ or less. Considering your budget of $50k stay in the 34–38’ range.
Good suggestion. Totally forget about them. Especially that size! Shallow keel on those shouldn't be difficult to find.

Thanks!
Old 25-05-2022, 14:40   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeliajo View Post
A few years ago I was in a similar position and a friend recommended I buy the biggest I could afford. I searched for a long time and finally settled on a Morgan 46 Ketch. She was perfect for me for blue water and Carribean Islands. With two sticks I could handle her single handed and easily with two. She had good room and two heads. I sailed her for many years until she was destroyed by hurricane Irma. I know there are number around and you will not be sorry. Best of luck.
I'll take a look at it. It's definitely on the larger side of what I'm looking for, but if it's solo easy I'm all for it.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:42   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberta T48 View Post
I single hand my Tayana 48 - center cockpit cutter rig designed by Robert Perry…a true blue water global cruiser…a great boat to single/short hand…the only downside is it will cost you several times your stated budget…but if you are going to sail the world as stated, you might be better served to put off your plans and save more to put down…
There's not very many out there and it's way outside what I'm looking to spend, plus larger than I'm finding out would be reasonable to do the runs I want.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Might trade up to one later.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:49   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
How about this, ready to go;

1984 37' Hunter 37 Cherubini

Due to health reasons I must sell my Cruise Ready Hunter 37C Located in St Croix, USVI. This is the desirable Cheribini designed model with solid FG layup and cutter rigged.
She has been upgraded and outfitted 2020 for cruising the islands. Sails were new in 2016. Included is 1,000 of provisions, full First Aid kit, courtesy flags and, 1,000 tools spares.
This is truly a Turn-Key cruising boat.
39,000 in St Croix Marina, USVI

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/95890

Apollo Wayne
Nice setup, but I'm currently just putting my list together. It's also a bit higher than what I can get them for. Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure someone on here will find it a great deal! It's reasonably priced for the open market and looks in pretty good condition.
Old 25-05-2022, 14:52   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevi View Post
I’m doing a singlehanded circumnavigation in an IP38, and love it. I’ve already crossed the Pacific, and am about to cross the Indian Ocean.
Awesome! I'll definitely take a look at them. Any issues you've found?
Old 25-05-2022, 15:02   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzlawrence View Post
Hi Pushingthepen,
I read the first page of posts regarding your enquiry and didn't see a single response that answered any of the things you asked. Very sad.
I have only been sailing since 2018 and had only one boat - a Fraser 41 built in 1979. However, I sailed it home some 1,800 kilometres. The first 350 odd kilometres I sailed solo but had never sailed before. This was from Cairns to Townsville. From Townsville, I was joined by an experienced sailor with some 50 odd years experience. In 2019, I sailed back to Townsville with the same fellow, then continued to Lizard Island and back home solo sailing again. The boat is comfortable and handled some pretty rough conditions with ease. It is not fast. Often cruising around 3 to 5 knots with the fastest SOG (speed over ground - not water speed relative to currents etc) 12.4 knots. With the current engine / prop setup, the boat "walks" to starboard when reversing which is a pain in the a*#$e. Overall, I've sailed about 6,000 kilometres in the boat and love being out on it. A bit over half that was solo sailing. Nearly all the winches are not self tailing, however that is gradually changing as I refit the boat over time. Currently replacing the old hard dodger and soft bimini with a full hardtop which has effectively given more cockpit room as well as making it dry and providing much better positioning of chartplotter, compass, VHF, autopilot, and engine instruments. I've also converted the old lift up hatches to sliding hatches which I find much better. Really looking forward to heading out again. :-)
Hope this is of interest and helps.
Hallelujah! Someone what that was seeing the lack of actual responses to my post! These last few pages have actually had some great input and specific details, models, etc. It was getting very irritating for the first few pages!

I definitely don't mind older boats, since they didn't know how thin they could go with the fiberglass! Those older ones will cut through most of the new without hardly scuffing the gel coat! Which I think is one reason they feel more stable and handle a little smoother. A lot of the new feel like racing yachts.

Have you looked at bolting on a drop in bow thruster on the aft to help with that walking? Did it for a couple of clients and they loved it. Very affordable too! Know one guy that used a long shaft trolling motor that he'd lock into place for his. Used they're pretty cheap, especially if you build your own casing for it and that's VERY easy. Lift out when sailing. Drop down when using.

You're journey sounds about like what I'm going to be doing to start with as well. DM me if you'd like to chat about it.

And thanks for the suggestions!
Old 25-05-2022, 15:04   #133
cruiser

Pros and cons..

Correction.. an older mans ketch.
Older still is mummy.

Storm dodger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1653511785686.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	258382  
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 15:11   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc View Post
I don’t think that the choice of make is the most important thing for single handed sailing particularly with any physical impairment. What is important is the kit you have aboard.
1. Electric winches
2. Auto tacking facility
3. Mainsail haul down
4. All helm sail controls
5. Chain counter with cockpit windlass control
6. Bow thruster
7. Relatively new engine (say hours under 1000] with full maintenance history
I’m 81 and do a fair bit of single handed in a 45 ft Dufour (455 GL) it’s the above equipment that allows me to sail alone confidently and safely. So any good condition production boat with the above should be fine.
Even though you didn't recommend a particular boat, even 's (LOL), the list is gear is very helpful. Thank you!
Old 25-05-2022, 15:12   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
What a great perspective. You give me and other much hope to our dreams. Thank you, sir.
It is definitely a helpful list!

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water