Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2022, 07:11   #91

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
Re: Best 34-50' Single Person Sailboat For Blue Water & Island Hopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Unicorn 39.. it meets all the qualities you've listed..
No specific year.
Ah..my favourite design
kavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 07:25   #92

Here is a link with all the information you will probably need along with a list of sail boats.

Happy sails!

http://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Selecting-and-Purcashing-an-Ocean-Cruising-Sailboat-by-John-Neal.pdf
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 07:31   #93

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

I understand what you mean by Blue Water and Island Hopping. I am 83 and have been around for awhile having sailed most Oceans and many Islands.
For me the best I have seen for short handed sailing is the island Packet 40. Solidly built in FL. Reasonable length for good storage, very comfortable, original has main reefing all from cockpit, long keel for longitudinal stability and shoal draft for skinny anchorages, lots of storage space, quality construction, heavy duty Edson rack and pinion steering etc. Here is a study on the craft by someone who has done it.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...and-packet-40/
And, oddly enough, I have mine for sale now. My last voyage was a solo trip to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska and home to Seattle. About 10,000 miles. I have answered most all the concerns mentioned by the article. Boom furling with electric main on the hoist. Doubles up for a number of other things. Over 1000 amp hours of battery capacity. Self Steering water maker etc. It was set up purposely for Short handed or solo sailing. I hate to see it go but health has slowed me down a little and it is time.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 08:25   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushingThePen View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on the best sailboat for Blue Water and Island Hopping in combination. Not one or the other. Single person operation, but comfortable accommodations for 2 or more people sleeping separately.

Thinking 34-50' range as the maximum of both ends of the scale. Under $50K average base model sailboat. Wheel operated, not hand rudder for medical issues.

Keywords would include: Comfortable, stable, easy to sail, spacious, roomy, not claustrophobic, great storage, agile, good in reefs and shallows.

Any suggestions should include: Why you recommend it. What you like and dislike about it. What you, or someone you know directly, has had as an experience with it. Year and model. Not simply listing a brand and a general era.

Direct experience is best. Thanks!
Try an Ericsson 38. YouTube has a guy who has single handed it quite on distances. Make sure you get a shallow keel version, 5’ or less. Considering your budget of $50k stay in the 34–38’ range.
Happ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 08:57   #95

A few years ago I was in a similar position and a friend recommended I buy the biggest I could afford. I searched for a long time and finally settled on a Morgan 46 Ketch. She was perfect for me for blue water and Carribean Islands. With two sticks I could handle her single handed and easily with two. She had good room and two heads. I sailed her for many years until she was destroyed by hurricane Irma. I know there are number around and you will not be sorry. Best of luck.
adeliajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 09:18   #96

Boat: Tayana 48 Cutter Rig Center Cockpit

I single hand my Tayana 48 - center cockpit cutter rig designed by Robert Perry…a true blue water global cruiser…a great boat to single/short hand…the only downside is it will cost you several times your stated budget…but if you are going to sail the world as stated, you might be better served to put off your plans and save more to put down…
Liberta T48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 09:30   #97

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

How about this, ready to go;

1984 37' Hunter 37 Cherubini

Due to health reasons I must sell my Cruise Ready Hunter 37C Located in St Croix, USVI. This is the desirable Cheribini designed model with solid FG layup and cutter rigged.
She has been upgraded and outfitted 2020 for cruising the islands. Sails were new in 2016. Included is 1,000 of provisions, full First Aid kit, courtesy flags and, 1,000 tools spares.
This is truly a Turn-Key cruising boat.
39,000 in St Croix Marina, USVI

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/95890

Apollo Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 10:02   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Good looking opportunity https://www.latitude38.com/advert/39...andide-1978-2/

Strong, solid, and with a race record that points to decent sailing ability
- condition is a different question.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 10:56   #99

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillr View Post
I understand what you mean by Blue Water and Island Hopping. I am 83 and have been around for awhile having sailed most Oceans and many Islands.
For me the best I have seen for short handed sailing is the island Packet 40. Solidly built in FL. Reasonable length for good storage, very comfortable, original has main reefing all from cockpit, long keel for longitudinal stability and shoal draft for skinny anchorages, lots of storage space, quality construction, heavy duty Edson rack and pinion steering etc. Here is a study on the craft by someone who has done it.
https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...and-packet-40/
And, oddly enough, I have mine for sale now. My last voyage was a solo trip to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska and home to Seattle. About 10,000 miles. I have answered most all the concerns mentioned by the article. Boom furling with electric main on the hoist. Doubles up for a number of other things. Over 1000 amp hours of battery capacity. Self Steering water maker etc. It was set up purposely for Short handed or solo sailing. I hate to see it go but health has slowed me down a little and it is time.
Can I get the link to your listing, please?
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 13:51   #100

I’m doing a singlehanded circumnavigation in an IP38, and love it. I’ve already crossed the Pacific, and am about to cross the Indian Ocean.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 22:49   #101

Hi Pushingthepen,
I read the first page of posts regarding your enquiry and didn't see a single response that answered any of the things you asked. Very sad.
I have only been sailing since 2018 and had only one boat - a Fraser 41 built in 1979. However, I sailed it home some 1,800 kilometres. The first 350 odd kilometres I sailed solo but had never sailed before. This was from Cairns to Townsville. From Townsville, I was joined by an experienced sailor with some 50 odd years experience. In 2019, I sailed back to Townsville with the same fellow, then continued to Lizard Island and back home solo sailing again. The boat is comfortable and handled some pretty rough conditions with ease. It is not fast. Often cruising around 3 to 5 knots with the fastest SOG (speed over ground - not water speed relative to currents etc) 12.4 knots. With the current engine / prop setup, the boat "walks" to starboard when reversing which is a pain in the a*#$e. Overall, I've sailed about 6,000 kilometres in the boat and love being out on it. A bit over half that was solo sailing. Nearly all the winches are not self tailing, however that is gradually changing as I refit the boat over time. Currently replacing the old hard dodger and soft bimini with a full hardtop which has effectively given more cockpit room as well as making it dry and providing much better positioning of chartplotter, compass, VHF, autopilot, and engine instruments. I've also converted the old lift up hatches to sliding hatches which I find much better. Really looking forward to heading out again. :-)
Hope this is of interest and helps.
Ozzlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 18:20   #102

Boat: Dufour 455GL

I don’t think that the choice of make is the most important thing for single handed sailing particularly with any physical impairment. What is important is the kit you have aboard.
1. Electric winches
2. Auto tacking facility
3. Mainsail haul down
4. All helm sail controls
5. Chain counter with cockpit windlass control
6. Bow thruster
7. Relatively new engine (say hours under 1000] with full maintenance history
I’m 81 and do a fair bit of single handed in a 45 ft Dufour (455 GL) it’s the above equipment that allows me to sail alone confidently and safely. So any good condition production boat with the above should be fine.
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 19:09   #103

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc View Post
I don’t think that the choice of make is the most important thing for single handed sailing particularly with any physical impairment. What is important is the kit you have aboard.
1. Electric winches
2. Auto tacking facility
3. Mainsail haul down
4. All helm sail controls
5. Chain counter with cockpit windlass control
6. Bow thruster
7. Relatively new engine (say hours under 1000] with full maintenance history
I’m 81 and do a fair bit of single handed in a 45 ft Dufour (455 GL) it’s the above equipment that allows me to sail alone confidently and safely. So any good condition production boat with the above should be fine.
What a great perspective. You give me and other much hope to our dreams. Thank you, sir.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 19:11   #104

Boat: Grampian 30

Your needs may served by one of the Southerly yachts. In the price range you are aiming for likely you'll be looking at an older model, 80's-90's, in the low to mid 30' range. Southerlies key design feature is a swing keel with a heavy and durable grounding plate. Lots of info on the 'net to digest if you wish to research more. I have not sailed one so can not add any personal opinions as to their capabilities, but I've had my eye on them for many years and hope to have the opportunity one day.

A boat that I have sailed, and really liked, was a 2005 Hanse 411 on a passage from Corfu to Sardinia in mid April 2017, a crew of 3 including myself. It was not set up for solo watches but was easily sailed by one with the trusty old auto-pilot to assist, and we did not have to call crew on deck for anything other than reefing and docking. It could have been easily modified to make solo even easier and safer. Hit some pretty rough weather early on while crossing to Italy, and then again during the southerly leg to the Straits of Messina, and I honestly almost enjoyed it because of how well she sailed. Great galley setup with double sinks mounted abaft and a gas cooker with oven. Comfy aft cabins on either side and a roomy 'stateroom' forward gave everyone their own space, while the saloon had lots of room for eating and lounging, and a well appointed nav station to port. Whether it would/could be suitable for true blue water, particularly high latitudes, you'll have to research and decide for yourself, but if I had the need, and the money, I would certainly consider it for coastal cruising or island hopping.

Some pics of the fun:

Day 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170906.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	258343

Somewhere between Orthonoi and Crotone

Name:	P4180963.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	258344

Words to live by

Name:	P4180974.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	258345

The Galley

Name:	P4221136.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	258346
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 03:20   #105
cruiser

That shape is a proven fast cruiser.
I don't know insurance.
Age early 70s

Modern racers during race were past by such sister hull during lumpy beat.
Difference was racing crews were wet, tired and continually battling.
Crew of sister were down below with coastal sails comfortably holding tune and racing skippers quote
" drinking tea below."
Having came up on and past an entire racing fleet on our Southern Ocean during a beat.

Model is C&C

Out of my budget too but nice to look at, admire and learn own wants with.
Attached Images

Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, sail, sailboat, single, water