Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2023, 08:13   #31

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Beautiful boats and compliments..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
I had occasion to hike out the B-dock last week. Spied a stranger and his Mate alongside in a pretty little boat.
I nodded hello and vocalize my thoughts..." My, what a pretty boat!"
Owners response was positive and we got to talking for a bit. Quite naturally proud of his 22 footer (?), he went on with it's pedigree and history. While it was interesting in that regard , it was nothing unusual. Well maintained. Well outfitted. Small bits of teak were bright. All in all, ship shape and Bristol fashion. This was no C22 or similar. It looked very much like a bigger boat, just scaled down.
A very pretty package, indeed...and a tremendous conversation starter.
Our Bristol 1982 Bristol 38.8 gets a lot of compliments, nice shear line, certainly needs some TLC, but we are so damn busy sailing her, it’s tough to take care of all the cosmetics!
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 08:15   #32

Boat: Caliber LRC 40

We love our 40’ Caliber LRC. We’ve received a number of compliments but we love her most because she is sturdy and provides us with confidence to explore. While we haven’t sailed *too* far and wide yet, it’s great to know it’s possible.
Truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 08:52   #33

Boat: CT 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here’s a good picture showing classic vs function
I mean, I'd rather sail the Sundeer and look at the schooner. I think they're both great looking but in very different ways. I've always tended to the 'function is beautiful' side.

That said, I mostly see the warts on my boat since I spend a lot of time working to solve all the issues of the last 44 years, but we get many compliments because even though she's quite beamy (13'6 on a 48' overall), it's fairly classic looking and has nice sheer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maranatha.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	281044  
Old 15-09-2023, 10:44   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
I mean, I'd rather sail the Sundeer and look at the schooner. I think they're both great looking but in very different ways. I've always tended to the 'function is beautiful' side.

That said, I mostly see the warts on my boat since I spend a lot of time working to solve all the issues of the last 44 years, but we get many compliments because even though she's quite beamy (13'6 on a 48' overall), it's fairly classic looking and has nice sheer.
I think you can head out and live in Waterworld with your boat! Just some solar arrays and lithium batteries

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 11:32   #35

Boat: EuroShipServices Luxemotor 22m

Where ever we go on the rivers and canals, the phones come up and the snapping and videoing starts. My wife is learning "Haven't you seen a boat before" in several languages����
Commercial barge skippers congratulate me on a fine conversion - working 1920s ship to now. Until I explain that we were only built in 2004/5 with no rivets.
Just a few over the years:
Congratulations to a fine boat!

Bente Arnild

That is one hell of a pretty boat!

Chris, Power Conversion Technology

...but I can sure comment on the Vessel. In a word - WOW!
Very, very smart little ship!

Norm, Toronto, Canada

WOW! You guys on that side of the pond sure can form steel plate nicely. I don't think you'd find to many yards around here wanting to put compound curves in like that. Beautiful.

Ned, Woodstock, Conneticut

Nice looking yacht, Colin. Not many of that type over here.

M Mason, Bridgewater Canada

Looks really good, I like the overall workmanship on the vessel.

Tony B, Brisbane Australia

She is rather sexy. Congrats Oh Boatbuilder extraordinaire.

Gail, London

Looks fantastic

Simon, London

Oh babe

Andrew, Bristol

What a beauty!

Martin, Portsmouth

Very impressive

John, Portsmouth

She is beautiful

Willie, Helensburgh

Looks beautiful.

Cara, London

May I add my congratulations to you both, “its' Perfect”, it sets a standard that others will attempt to follow!

Malcolm, Guernsey

What a lovely looking vessel!! You really are very lucky.

Jon, Brixham

All in all not that bad for an amateur boatbuilder. And seeing the result, well done.

Kees Cornelissen, KEI designer

When was she converted?
When was the superstructure conversion done?
Where was the conversion done?

Typical questions from passers by when travelling around.
Colin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 13:56   #36

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Although it now looks a bit "shopworn", my boat has gotten its fair share of compliments.
But the one I'll never forget, (and I think one of the best,) was when it was almost new, (this was ~30 years ago).
I'm sailing on a close reach in light air, probably only doing ~3Kts or so, heading out of the harbor.
Another sailboat, (under power,) passes me close by, the guy shouts over;
"You sure did a great job restoring that old boat".
I just smiled and said "Thank you".
Old 15-09-2023, 18:17   #37

Boat: Tartan 37

Mason 44
WHITEHAWK155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 19:24   #38

Boat: Cherubini 44

If you are looking for a very good performing blue water boat that is also stunningly beautiful you may want to consider my Cherubini 44 “MAGIC”. Inspired by Ticonderoga and many believe John Cherubini did a better job than Herreshoff. The good news is she sails as good as she looks. She is extremely well constructed with beautiful details. I get compliments on her wherever we go and have had a lot of boats coming closer for a better view. I can’t seem to be able to post a photo here but here is the link to the listing I have on this forum. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-278173.html
MAGIC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 20:35   #39

Boat: PDQ 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGIC44 View Post
If you are looking for a very good performing blue water boat that is also stunningly beautiful you may want to consider my Cherubini 44 “MAGIC”. Inspired by Ticonderoga and many believe John Cherubini did a better job than Herreshoff. The good news is she sails as good as she looks. She is extremely well constructed with beautiful details. I get compliments on her wherever we go and have had a lot of boats coming closer for a better view. I can’t seem to be able to post a photo here but here is the link to the listing I have on this forum. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-278173.html
I agree, the Cherubini 44s and 48s are some of the prettiest GRP boats, particularly for those of us who love the LFH look.
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 21:40   #40

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
I agree, the Cherubini 44s and 48s are some of the prettiest GRP boats, particularly for those of us who love the LFH look.
'What is "LFH"?
Old 15-09-2023, 22:37   #41

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v
That would be L. Francis Herreshoff

His Meadowlark 37 Leeboard ketch is what stole my heart one day in Tarpon Springs, FL - a bit beat-up, but gorgeous lines. Took a sail on it, self-surveyed engine, etc. and crossed the Gulf to Panama City area, on beautiful St. Andrew Bay where we lived in 2000. Restored it along with my now deceased boat-partner Fred, and sailed it on many memorable "booze-cruises" (only after anchoring!) with Fred and one or two of other buddies, from St. Marks River to the E, Mobile Bay to the W. T'was a 'Yar Boat", as the lady said.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ext-1A.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	281061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext-7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	281062  

PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 22:57   #42

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v
Greenline 33 Hybrid

Now in our 80's, and past sailing, esp. on wide-open Monterey Bay, we've had "Swan Song" - our last boat, for sure - about 4 years, captivated by the classic plum-bow lines of the '30's wood Cabin Cruisers or Sedan Cruisers - one of which my grandfather had at his summer place on St. Simons Is, GA in the thirties and forties, and during WWII, was sent off-shore to look for German subs to report on hi-freq. radio.

At dock in Monterey, and Adm. Louise at the "pink moment" in Santa Barbara - about 240nm S of Monterey, and the first safe harbor of refuge in all conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A-1 Exterior-1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	281063   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1016949-Web-II.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	281064  

PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 00:23   #43

Boat: Regina 43

Over this summer I had two groups of young women and one older woman “modeling” for their social media using my boat as a prop (without permission I might add). I’ve also had probably about ten separate passers by just spontaneously stop and complement me on her.

Every time I look at her she gives me a thrill.

She has teak mostly flush decks, narrow beam for length, swooping shear line, shiny metalwork.

Regina 43
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 00:55   #44

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

As said beauty is in the eye of the beholder,my Perry Cheo Lee 48 full rig cutter does it fo me but my sons Nelson maric cold moulded 1 tonner with a clear finished teak transom isI as pretty as all hell from all angles ,and a delight to sail .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 09:32   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Hull shape is a big attractor. A spoonbill bow up front and a counter (stern out of the water) gets ‘em every time. I have people chase down my Columbia 50 constantly - it’s like paparazzi.

Albert 37, cape dorys, columbias in general.

Matt
I have the same problem with my Columbia 50.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men