Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 12:00   #16

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: alcohol stove and heater

Yes, if you have the four tube burners they are identical for kero, just a different jet. The extra tubes are needed for kero to get it hot enough to vaporize. The straight tube burner won't put enough heat into kero but is fine for alcohol.

http://www.base-camp.co.uk

Sells nipples/jets to convert from alcohol to kero or back.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 12:25   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've had a few of the old pressure type alcohol stoves, and my share of flare ups. They are no good on a boat.

However, I LOVE the origo stoves. I've had several, both one and two burners. Very easy and safe to use. I even keep an origo 1500 at home for emergencies.

Methyl Hydrate is only hard to find if you call it stove alcohol. Look in the PAINT section of any hardware store. 4 litres costs just a little more than 1 litre. I transfer it to SIGG aluminum fuel bottles to store it safely aboard. The fuel also comes in handy to sterilize a wound, or clean a cut.

My current boat came with several bottles of coloured alcohol, it was blue, so you could see the flame in daylight. Expensive and unecessary.

I have installed origo stoves on almost every boat I've had. In canada they are now sold under the name COOKMATE, but its the same stove from the same factory. They are not cheap to buy.

Its worth saying again, great stove, love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beluga sailing 129.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	108145   Click image for larger version

Name:	kiersten sailing 362.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	108146  

Name:	Clayton 168.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	108147   Click image for larger version

Name:	beluga sailing 229.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	108148  

Name:	Compromise 073.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	108149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 075.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	108150  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 12:34   #18

Boat: Sabre 28

Yup the Origos are great. I swapped out the propane stove on my sabre with a double burner origo. I also keep a double burner origo with oven at home for power failures. It is also handy on holidays for extra cooking.

Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 15:17   #19

Boat: csy 37

Shipmate is the Rolls Royce of boat stoves, according to a stove review in Practical Sailor. But the article was written back in 1995 or so. They have been out of business for many years. Our Shipmate propane stove was original equipment on our 1979 boat and still works well and looks new 36 years later.

But I would still get rid of your Shipmate alcohol stove. Get a modern propane stove or an Origo.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 16:08   #20

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

Most Australian States have banned and removed those small butane cookers with aerosol type replaceable canisters:
NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, SA & NT Ban Butane Cookers | Lunchbox Cookers | Video | ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business

Yachties here know them as "exploders".

We know alcohol stoves as 'Metho" or "methylated spirit". One of it's safety features is that it can be dowsed with water. Nothing is idiot proof: to refill a HOT stove from a GALLON container was the height of natural selection. Such people should not breed.

Another correspondent believes that some compressed fuel gasses do not give off CO2. He's heading for calamity too. All hydrocarbon fuels burn to give off CO2. Some produce less Carbon "MON"-oxide (CO) which is poisonous, not just suffocating. Ventilation always. Keep watch on stoves when alight - always. No flame without risk.
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 20:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiceman View Post
Enjoy the OI ! Beautifully strong boats !
It is a really cool boat. I paid $10K, I am the 4th owner, but the second owner had it from '76-2014 AFAICT, so the other two owners had it a total of 4 years between them. Repowered with a Gray Marine 55 HP, back in the 90s I believe but only 500 hours on it since. TEN sails (including 3 mains), all in good to new condition. Tiller, not wheel.

The second owner raced it LOL. That has been a standing joke around the marina but he raced it many times and apparently won something called

"Battery Park Governor's Cup Race, Division 3 1st Place, 1978". This according to a little brass plaque nailed above the bulkhead going to the V berth.

I found a copy of his entry form for that race.

And check this out, as I returned from signing the papers, that owner's Son and DIL was standing in front of the boat talking to each other. I heard them mention Morgan so I introduced myself. It seems this young man (30 something?) had spent many summers sailing the boat off Long Island.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 06:42   #22

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

The fuels that are lighter than air include compressed natural gas, alcohol, and butane. These fumes migrate upward, and will leave the boat, given an opening. Propane is heavier than air, and shouldn't be used without a fume detector low in the salon and bilge. All combustion stoves and heaters will generate some carbon dioxide, and possibly carbon monoxide (particularly under conditions of less than complete combustion - think yellow flame). Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide are heavier than air and can accumulate in the lower levels of a closed cabin. Avoid sleeping with a stove, heater, or engine running. With a proper fume detector you are safer, but faults may be lurking. We use an old Kenyon non-pressurized alcohol stove that came with the boat, and find it satisfactory. Of course, we don't fuel it up when hot.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 06:49   #23

I absolutely adore my Origo 5100 non pressurised alchohol stove. Its hot, safe, reliable and very easy to use, even my wife isn't afraid to light it.

Just this week end past I finally decided to rip out my old propane system, tanks, stove, hot water heater, the whole works, I just couldn't imagine using it again when I have my Origo.

I still have a propane bbq , I use the mini 5lb cannisters for it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:28   #24

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Also got to say the Origo is great. Mine is the older style with a hole in the centre of each canister. They take a little longer to fill than the newer style but are still quite effective. And as some said methyl hydrate is available at any paint dept.

Oh and on a sailboat get a gimbled stove, was on a friends boat a couple years ago without one and couldn't get a cup of coffee while heeled made for long passage.
Old 31-08-2015, 07:41   #25

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

i have cooked full time for the past 2 years on a shipmate GRAVITY fed alcohol stove/oven (3 burners + Oven)

I have seen a lot of shipmate stoves and I have still never seen burners like this or been able to find anything on the internet

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-74920.html

it was sold to me as "pressure kero" and it took me 2 months to figure out it was gravity alco... it is amazing and simple, the burners are robust bronze castings no delicate pieces...

why were these gravity alcohol stove not more popular?!?!?

p.s. I am in south florida and would be interested in the heater (ironic, I know)
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 07:41   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Meythal hydrate is apparently available everywhere in quantity except the united states. Can't seem to find larger than pint size since ppl enmass learned you needit to make biodiesel.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:08   #27

Pressuredrop, as I mentioned, Shipmate made the Rolls Royce of galley stoves. My sister in law in Souderton Pennsylvania, where they were made, told me the building was knocked down years ago and now hosts a scrap yard. Sad ending...
Old 31-08-2015, 09:45   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
It is a really cool boat. I paid $10K, I am the 4th owner, but the second owner had it from '76-2014 AFAICT, so the other two owners had it a total of 4 years between them. Repowered with a Gray Marine 55 HP, back in the 90s I believe but only 500 hours on it since. TEN sails (including 3 mains), all in good to new condition. Tiller, not wheel.

The second owner raced it LOL. That has been a standing joke around the marina but he raced it many times and apparently won something called

"Battery Park Governor's Cup Race, Division 3 1st Place, 1978". This according to a little brass plaque nailed above the bulkhead going to the V berth.

I found a copy of his entry form for that race.

And check this out, as I returned from signing the papers, that owner's Son and DIL was standing in front of the boat talking to each other. I heard them mention Morgan so I introduced myself. It seems this young man (30 something?) had spent many summers sailing the boat off Long Island.
Hi.

What follows is written in a friendly tone and with sincerity.

Congrats on getting your new (to you) boat!

You mentioned the boat's racing history and that it was considered a laughing matter in the marina.

About racing a cruising boat:

Any boat can be raced.
If using PHRF ratings (a form of handicap) just about any kind of boat can be "matched" against another boat. It is very common for "cruising" boats to be entered in races, they just have a handicap number assigned to them so their finish time can be adjusted at the end. Slow, heavy boats can have "high handicap" numbers, which gives them more time to complete the race.

This is similar to a golf handicap where one golfer can play against another who has a track record of better scores.

Simply put, some boats are raced against another boat of the same type and design ("one design" racing). That same boat could be raced against any other boat in a "handicap" race, and this is very common.

So you could see a "race boat" racing a "crab crusher" or "cruiser" and so on.

In short, there is the possibility that you could later race your boat too.

Good luck with your boat and I hope you enjoy your time learning to sail it and your future dream of cruising too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:15   #29

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We use a two burner Origo NON pressurized alcohol stove, works great, heats up as fast as anyone would need it to, (pasta etc). safer than any pressurized cooking system in which it won"t leak and can't cause related issues. As to being able to see the flame in day light? this is a bit of a red herring argument imo, sure its a bit harder to see, but one would have to be a very bit careless to not know if the stove was lit or not. Another plus is that its use removes an entire costly system from ones boat, and that is nothing but good in the short and long run imo. less dollars spent in purchase and upkeep, and thats a very good thing.

We use a small terra-cotta pot turned upside down on a burner set to low heat, and it acts as a small radiator, it takes the chill out of the cabin on a cool night or day, being that sailboat companion ways are not "sealed" even when shut ventilation is not an issue in this application , and no we don't run it for long periods. Happy sails,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:38   #30

Steady Hand, in some parts of the country, and in some races, they have a separate class for the big old cruising boats called "Mother Tub" class. Still handicapped, but at least you get to race with similar boats.