Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 12:35   #1
cruiser

WANTED: Used alcohol stove or other relic

I'm looking for a used alcohol stove (pressurized Galley Maid would be ideal, but they are so very rare).

Will take any alcohol stove or even an old LPG that doesn't work anymore for conversion to alcohol.

Post or PM with any candidate stoves.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Have a Hillerange SS 3 burner Kerosene stove. If you are willing to put up with a pressure Alcohol stove, highly reccomend going kerosene. Kerosene puts out enough heat to actually cook something, alcohol doesn't. Stove is in Alameda, CA. $99.00.

Aloha
Peter O.
Old 03-09-2007, 13:33   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have a Hillerange SS 3 burner Kerosene stove. If you are willing to put up with a pressure Alcohol stove, highly reccomend going kerosene. Kerosene puts out enough heat to actually cook something, alcohol doesn't. Stove is in Alameda, CA. $99.00.

Aloha
Peter O.
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the offer. I would have to swap the buners out, right? It's not an alcohol/kero stove, is it?

I've been cooking every meal (3 meals a day, pizzas, bread, cakes, muffins and other gourmet foods and even provided food service for a charter business) using my Galley Maid alcohol stove. I've been doing this for over 2 years living aboard full time, year round. It beats ANY other stove hands down, but that is a different thread. Unfortunately, it's on my equipment list and my boat is going bye bye, so I can't keep it.

That's why I need a new one.

Is the Hillerange modern looking at all (esthetically)?

My 20 year old Galley Maid looks like this, and I'm hoping to replace it with something similar:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove.jpg
Views:	2543
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1790  
Old 03-09-2007, 13:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Glad you like Alcohol, I surely didn't. Wouldn't boil water in a large lobster pot with all burners going. Did get along very well for three years of live aboard and cruising with a shipmate kero stove. Heat output from kero is at least 1/3rd higher than alcohol with the same mechanics. BTW, no alcohol smell from kero other than the alcohol for preheating.

Stove is a standard marine SS stove with brushed finish. Doesn't look as bright and shiny or as quality as the one you are giving up. If you like the stove, I'd give the buyers a discount and keep the stove. They'll probably tear it out and go propane anyway.

If you'd like pictures, I'll be at the boat on Thursday and can take some decent photos.

Aloha
Peter O.
Old 03-09-2007, 14:09   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Glad you like Alcohol, I surely didn't. Wouldn't boil water in a large lobster pot with all burners going. Did get along very well for three years of live aboard and cruising with a shipmate kero stove. Heat output from kero is at least 1/3rd higher than alcohol with the same mechanics. BTW, no alcohol smell from kero other than the alcohol for preheating.

Stove is a standard marine SS stove with brushed finish. Doesn't look as bright and shiny or as quality as the one you are giving up. If you like the stove, I'd give the buyers a discount and keep the stove. They'll probably tear it out and go propane anyway.

If you'd like pictures, I'll be at the boat on Thursday and can take some decent photos.

Aloha
Peter O.

The pictures would be great... thanks. The kero does interest me - I've just only seen it for sale *once* in the past 5 years. It was, however, extremely cheap compared to alcohol.

Where do you usually pick it up? Gas stations?

I suppose you could keep a jerry can of kero (5 gals) around for the stove and it would probably last half a year, right?

Definitely interested.

Sean
Old 03-09-2007, 14:17   #6
cruiser

Peter, you can skip the photos. I just found your old Craigslist posting in a Google search.

Reading the ad, it says there is no pressure tank and it's never been fired up. I'm not sure something that is missing parts and has never been lit would be worth $99 plus shipping. Even the shipping alone would be pretty steep to pay for a stove that doesn't have a tank and is in unknown condition.

I might have to pass.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this post though.
Old 16-09-2007, 14:15   #7

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Stove

I found this on another site. FOR SALE: Alcohol heater-cooker

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Old 16-09-2007, 14:41   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
I found this on another site. FOR SALE: Alcohol heater-cooker

Much appreciated, Jentine. Unfortunately, due to lack of alcohol stoves, I went with the evil "Devil Gas." ha ha ha

I am installing propane.
Old 16-09-2007, 15:55   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,
Good move! You'll like it more.
JohnL
Old 22-09-2007, 21:08   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Hi
am converting to propane and have stainless gimballed shipmate 2 burner with oven good cosmetically and functionally, brass pressure tank lines, filter, valve etc..... dont know what to do with it make me an offer that will be at least worth packaging and borrowing vehicle to take somewhere to ship
Old 02-11-2007, 20:26   #11

Boat: 1972 Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Hi
am converting to propane and have stainless gimballed shipmate 2 burner with oven good cosmetically and functionally, brass pressure tank lines, filter, valve etc..... dont know what to do with it make me an offer that will be at least worth packaging and borrowing vehicle to take somewhere to ship
I'd be interested in this stove if the fuel is kerosene. Is it?
Old 08-08-2009, 17:00   #12

Boat: Endeavour, Sloop, 32' - "Boomaround"
GalleyMaid for trade?

I have an alcohol GalleyMaid gimballed 2-burner with oven, etc. I bount with a 32' Endeavour. It is brown in color. It has a pressure tank. I have never used it and don't know how, yet. I might be willing to trade it for an equal propane stove that will fit in the same space. Or, perhaps someone out there can tell me how to start and use it? Thanks. NRH