Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 07:47   #46

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’
Re: Albany NY to Lake Michigan recommendations?

On April 15, I called the main office of theNY Canal System to inquire about the opening date. Although the web still indicates May 15, that will be delayed. The canals representative did not know the opening date. Most of the people who would be working to prepare the locks for opening are not working. Perhaps they have been sent home as on-essential. Others within the Canal System were unable to provide even an estimate of an opening date. New York just closed state boat launches although the directive does not address the private or municipal launch ramps. At this point, the boating season is looking dismal.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 08:35   #47

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran
Cool Re: Albany NY to Lake Michigan recommendations?

We're very much 'in the same boat'... supposed to be a sail from FtL to Chicago last fall. Dealing w/ Dorian and Umberto pretty much upended our float plan and our Leopard 40's currently in Buffalo (Erie Canal is interesting, but even in delivery mode, you are @ the mercy of locks/bridges, so patience is essential).

I look forward to reading ALL the posts, Fuzzy Logic's currently in Buffalo, NY and we're following not only the weather, but state by state rulings for boaters... The 2nd original plan was to head out beginning of May, but that may need to be pushed back, predicated on Mother Nature (who's be a bit of a real #@$!@#$ to us so far!!).
Old 17-04-2020, 09:18   #48

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I think my first question would be, is this just a delivery (i.e. you want to get it over with as quickly as possible) or is it a trip you want to take your time with and enjoy? If it is a delivery my first reaction would be to keep on the Erie to Buffalo and go from there. if you are in a hurry you can do one overnight on Erie that will get you somewhere close to the eastern end of the lake. One overnight will get you from Sarnia/Port Huron to the mouth of Lake Michigan. The rivers are slow, yes to think of two days with a stop somewhere.

If it is a pleasure trip I would go to Kingston which is well worth a stop. You can go straight from Oswego or stop along the eastern shore of the lake. There are several nice places to overnight. With a mast on deck make sure you really have it tied down well both sideways and fore and aft. Ratchet tie downs are better than rope. We were (emphasis 'were') planning to do the Trent-Severn and were told by the National Park people who run it to thing in terms of 5 to 6 days for that part. You could take longer but if you have more time spending it in the North Channel makes more sense to me.

Just occurred to me to say that you can take your mast down (yourself) at Castleton. They have an excellent crane and used to charge $1 of mast length but a couple of times they charged me $1 a foot for boat length. If you want someone else to do it, we had good success with Catskill Marina/Hop O Nose (they are across Catskill Creek from each other and have same ownership). Will cost quite a bit more of course.
AiniA, fully agree on Hop A Nose!! Their canal construction phase vintage crane is worth the trip thru the canal... IMHO a must see!
Old 17-04-2020, 16:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
You'll need to wait for Ontario to lift their lockdown before you visit Canada. Ontario has prohibited recreational boating and most facilities are closed.
Any boats coming from the US are not permitted for now. All travel through the Seaway route, there is a ban for all pleasure crafts using the commercial seaway route. All Parks Canada locks will not open for the season until further notice. Check carefully before starting out...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 17:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
Any boats coming from the US are not permitted for now. All travel through the Seaway route, there is a ban for all pleasure crafts using the commercial seaway route. All Parks Canada locks will not open for the season until further notice. Check carefully before starting out...
in addition... all marinas are closed... all boat ramp access are closed... all parks are closed...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 17:33   #51

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
AiniA, fully agree on Hop A Nose!! Their canal construction phase vintage crane is worth the trip thru the canal... IMHO a must see!
Until we got the 45 footer with a mast that weighed in at a porky 1100 lbs we always DIY it at Castleton, but we are used to doing masts since we go up and down every year at our club.

Had another thought about the Welland. Last time I did it it was $240 of whatever currency you have. I would be inclined to go from Oswego to Kingston. Just wait for a really good forecast. Might even be worth doing it overnight since the wind is less then generally.
Old 18-04-2020, 11:12   #52

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

If and when the world becomes normal, I would recommend the Erie canal to Oswego and crossing Lake Ontario to follow the Trent-Severn.

We (wife and I) took the Champlain/Erie canal in Sept 2016 to Oswego over 10 days, at a leisurely pace with the mast unstepped on Lake Champlain.

The crossing of Lake Ontario took the better part of the day to Prince Edward Bay (about 45 NM from Oswego) where we anchored overnight. The next day was shorter with a stop in Picton where we cleared customs/immigration with a phone call.

The plan was to winter in Belleville and take the Trent-Severn in 2017; however, great lakes flooding that year delayed our canal travel until 2018.

In Belleville we arranged to ship our mast by truck to Georgian Bay; it was an expense that proved worthwhile. Manoevering in the canal was so much easier without 10 ft of mast sticking out both ends. Now I know why motor boats are popular.

The Trent took 18 days, again at a leisurely pace. The only restriction on our canal pass was the requirment to continue in one direction - not a problem. A very enjoyable passage with lots of anchorages and towns to stop along the way. Our boat draws 5 ft but with the mast removed I think we floated a little higher. This is the route that clearly I would recommend for what you want to accomplish.

When things return to normal.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 11:40   #53

Boat: Nauticat 32

I came through the other way a while back. Ran the whole length of the EC and loved it. Looking to go back in a couple years, but the new boat draws 6.5 feet and has a 62’ of air draft. So that kind of limits my choices. Will probably unstep at Hop-O-Nose and travel to Oswego. Restep and sail to Toronto before transiting the Welland. Then, push hard to get through Lake Erie (with a possible stop in Pt Stanley, I liked it there) before turning north and heading for the North Channel. Always wanted to do the TS, but the new boat isn’t suited for it. I missed LO last time and always love visiting Canada, so I think that’ll be in order next time. I love Ontario!
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 14:18   #54

FYI:

People entering Canada could face a $750,000 fine if they don't quarantine for 14 days — even if they don't show coronavirus symptoms

It is an old expression don't mess with Texas, but I think when it comes to border crossing into Canada, it can now be said: Don't mess with Canada. This is also un-Canadian like. Welcome or Not Welcome to the New Normal, Eh.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-en...122800891.html

Canada has so far avoided the United States' coronavirus fate, and is taking drastic measures to ensure it stays that way.

The country on Tuesday announced that all travelers entering the country would be required to quarantine themselves for 14 days, even if they aren't showing symptoms of COVID-19.

There are "few exceptions," to the rules, the government's public health agency said, besides those who "ensure the continued flow of goods and essential services, or individuals who receive or provide other essential services to Canadians."

Those exempt individuals, like truck drivers, are still required to wear a mask upon entry to the country and while in transit. The rules are punishable by a fine of up to $750,000 or a month in jail, and the government will be conducting spot checks to ensure compliance, it said.

On Friday, Canada announced even stricter measures.

All air travelers will be required to "have a non-medical mask or face covering to cover their mouth and nose during travel" beginning Saturday at 12 noon, local time. They'll also be required to show they have the mask during boarding, so that they can follow the previous rules once they land.

"Canadians should continue to follow public health advice and stay at home if possible," Marc Garneau, the country's minister of transport, said in a press release.

"However, if you need to travel, wearing a face covering is an additional measure you can take to protect others around you, especially in situations where physical distancing guidelines cannot be maintained. Transport Canada will continue to ensure various transportation systems adapt to the most effective, preventive measures to protect Canadians."
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 18:55   #55

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Just saw this

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-kick-n1187136
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 17:55   #56

Copied from Kerplunk's post, this evening on the thread titled: Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...42#post3124242

I just got this message today:

Notice to Mariners
2020 Navigation Season Update
April 23, 2020

Due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, the Canal Corporation has suspended all non-essential construction and maintenance activities, therefore the New York State Canal system will not open for through navigation of the locks on May 15th as previously announced. However, to support the Canal's continued use as a prime recreational waterway, the Canal Corporation is currently evaluating operational options to ensure New Yorkers will have access to the Canal system, if even potentially on a regional basis, this season. We recognize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time and are sensitive to potential hardships Canal stakeholders, as well as many other New Yorkers, may experience. The situation with COVID-19 is ever-evolving and we are trying to adapt our plans accordingly. Future updates will be posted through our Notice to Mariners program. We appreciate your patience.

For updates and information, please visit*Canals.NY.gov*or follow us on*Facebook*or*Twitter

06:46:57PM 4/23/20*
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 19:02   #57

Boat: Beneteau First 345

Garyfdl
I believe I answered you previously, but to be specific.
I have been through the canal 3 times in a 35 foot sailboat with 5.2 ft. draft. The Erie Canal is 350 statute miles and 35 locks long. Along with several lift bridges.
Waterford to Tonawanda can be done in 5 days. Be at the lock ready to lock in when the operator arrives and opens the lock for you. After passing the last lock or bridge that would open for me that day I motored up to the next lock or bridge to spend the night. We didn't stop to sightsee along the way. Carry sufficient fuel so you can reduce your need to find fuel along the canal.
The last two places on the Hudson River are Hop-O-Nose in Catskill and the yacht club at Castleton on Hudson (self service) to drop your mast in 2016. At Tonawanda Wardell's is the place to step you mast it if he's still in business now, a block from the Niagara river... Up the Niagara river via the Black Rock canal and lock and then... Sail to Lake Michigan; Buffalo to Sheboygan is 665 NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
The COVID-19 outbreak notwithstanding:

Looking for info/recommendations/suggestions for bringing a sailboat (<33' - draft 4'6") through the Erie/NY canal system, destination: Lake Michigan, specifically Sheboygan, WI.

I know, the mast(s) will have to be un-stepped for canal portions of the trip.

Entering the system at Albany NY, I would assume that the quickest route (aside from I-90 ) would be to leave the canal system at Oswego, motor across Lake Ontario and take the Trent-Severn canal system to Lake Huron. Is that correct?

Any idea how much longer it takes (weather notwithstanding) to sail the length of lake Erie and go up the St. Clair and Detroit rivers?

If I stock up on beer prior to departure (and don't stop at every ice-cream and doughnut shop along the way) approximately how long should the trip take?

Are there any "here, there be monsters" en route I should be aware of?

Thanks, Gary

OABTW I did do a search and read what I could find in other threads.
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 05:43   #58

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Apparently the Erie Canal may not be open for full transits this summer which is not a good thing for those needing it.

2020 Navigation Season Update
April 23, 2020

'Due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, the Canal Corporation has suspended all non-essential construction and maintenance activities, therefore the New York State Canal system will not open for through navigation of the locks on May 15th as previously announced. However, to support the Canal's continued use as a prime recreational waterway, the Canal Corporation is currently evaluating operational options to ensure New Yorkers will have access to the Canal system, if even potentially on a regional basis, this season. We recognize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time and are sensitive to potential hardships Canal stakeholders, as well as many other New Yorkers, may experience. The situation with COVID-19 is ever-evolving and we are trying to adapt our plans accordingly. Future updates will be posted through our Notice to Mariners program. We appreciate your patience.'
Old 26-04-2020, 05:55   #59

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Apparently the Erie Canal may not be open for full transits this summer which is not a good thing for those needing it.

It's all up in the air at this point and I doubt they want to commit to anything until they know for sure what they can do. From what I've been able to find out, they've got 8 locks pumped out for maintenance, mostly on the Erie. Locks C12, E7, E13, E19, E23, E26, E33, E34/35. So getting things opened up will depend on when they can get that work finished, along with anything else they still need to do before opening.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 09:54   #60

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Again, I want to thank everyone for their responses. I am monitoring this thread and the NYS canal website for information.

I am also looking for a trailer...
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men