Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 10:43   #1

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Albany NY to Lake Michigan recommendations?

The COVID-19 outbreak notwithstanding:

Looking for info/recommendations/suggestions for bringing a sailboat (<33' - draft 4'6") through the Erie/NY canal system, destination: Lake Michigan, specifically Sheboygan, WI.

I know, the mast(s) will have to be un-stepped for canal portions of the trip.

Entering the system at Albany NY, I would assume that the quickest route (aside from I-90 ) would be to leave the canal system at Oswego, motor across Lake Ontario and take the Trent-Severn canal system to Lake Huron. Is that correct?

Any idea how much longer it takes (weather notwithstanding) to sail the length of lake Erie and go up the St. Clair and Detroit rivers?

If I stock up on beer prior to departure (and don't stop at every ice-cream and doughnut shop along the way) approximately how long should the trip take?

Are there any "here, there be monsters" en route I should be aware of?

Thanks, Gary

OABTW I did do a search and read what I could find in other threads.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:58   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Albany NY to Lake Michigan recommendations?

Keep in mind that the Lake Ontario prevailing wind is NW, particularly early in the year. And cold. That can make for a brutal ride from Oswego to the NW Canadian shore.

Presume you know the canal is closed. With NYS already $6B behind BEFORE the NYC Virus, I question if it will be open this year- or even for many years.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:33   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7

You'll need to wait for Ontario to lift their lockdown before you visit Canada. Ontario has prohibited recreational boating and most facilities are closed.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:54   #4

As stated above, this be a perhaps next year trip.

The USA and Canadian border is closed to all but essential travel, that includes boats. Recreational boating is non-essential.

In Ontario Provincie, marinas are open only for access to liveaboard boaters, and you can bet that there are few of those given how cold it is there.

As to New York:

New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, ordered that all non-essential businesses must close and all non-essential members of the workforce must stay home in the latest of several extreme measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the state.

“This is the most drastic action we can take,” Cuomo said in a press conference on Friday morning, adding that the measures would take effect on Sunday night and would be “enforced”.

The statewide mandate ordered people to practice social distancing and to only leave their homes for necessities such as grocery shopping and seeking medical attention or acquiring medicine.

Exemptions for media, health care providers and financial institutions, among others, were made as well, with workers falling into the category of "essential workers."

Gov. Cuomo: “These provisions will be enforced. These are not helpful hints. This is not if you really want to be a great citizen. These are legal provisions,”
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:22   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

COVID-19 NOTE: The Trent-Severn AND the Welland Canals are all currently closed to recreational traffic (TS is close period). Recreational marinas on the Ontario side are closed. It's unclear when things may open.

In NY it's hit-and-miss for marinas. Some are closed, some not. Last I checked the Erie Canal system was scheduled to open May 15, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this delayed as well.

From Oswego you do have a few options to make your way to Sheboygan, WI.
#1. (probably the best) Go across to Kingston to clear in. Then motor through the Bay of Quinte to Trenton to enter the Trent-Severn.

#2. (probably the fastest) Go directly across to Presqu'ile and clear in there, then take the Murray Canal to Trenton.

#3. (possibly the longest, but could be fast) Step mast in Oswego and sail west to the Welland. Transit through and continue through Erie and the rivers.
#1. Takes your through the Bay of Quinte, which will take a two to three days from Kingston, and then up the Trent-Severn. There are 44 locks to navigate. I think most people take a week to 10 days to do this. I suppose you could do it a bit faster, but probably not a lot.

#2. This option has the advantage of avoiding the long zig-zag of the Bay of Quinte. You'd probably shave a couple of days off going directly, but it's more open water, which can be pretty dicey for a motoring sailboat carrying a mast.

#3. This route has the possible advantage of avoiding having to clear into Canada, and being a sailboat sooner. Prevailing winds are not in your favour, but with the right breeze you could sail straight down the lake in a day. It's about 100 miles, so an overnighter could bring you to Port Weller and the start of the Welland. It's another day to go through the Canal. Then a two-night sail through Erie to the start of the Detroit/St. Clair Rivers. There can be strong currents in the Rivers, especially in the Spring, and doubly so with high waters in the Lakes (which we're expecting this season).
Old 11-04-2020, 13:55   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As of the end of the week, NY marinas are now only essential to service commercial and government, not recreational. I don't know for sure if that means that only marinas that service commercial / government can operate, or if that means even those can only do that and cannot sell fuel, launch/haul, etc. for recreational boats. I'm hoping for an update from my marina on that in the next week, as it could mean turning the small delay for spring launch into a big one.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
As of the end of the week, NY marinas are now only essential to service commercial and government, not recreational. I don't know for sure if that means that only marinas that service commercial / government can operate, or if that means even those can only do that and cannot sell fuel, launch/haul, etc. for recreational boats. I'm hoping for an update from my marina on that in the next week, as it could mean turning the small delay for spring launch into a big one.
It should not make much difference given all New Yorkers are to Stay At Home unless tending to essential purposes. There should not be any non-commercial / essential service boaters.

Stay At Home is pretty definitive.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:07   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I think my first question would be, is this just a delivery (i.e. you want to get it over with as quickly as possible) or is it a trip you want to take your time with and enjoy? If it is a delivery my first reaction would be to keep on the Erie to Buffalo and go from there. if you are in a hurry you can do one overnight on Erie that will get you somewhere close to the eastern end of the lake. One overnight will get you from Sarnia/Port Huron to the mouth of Lake Michigan. The rivers are slow, yes to think of two days with a stop somewhere.

If it is a pleasure trip I would go to Kingston which is well worth a stop. You can go straight from Oswego or stop along the eastern shore of the lake. There are several nice places to overnight. With a mast on deck make sure you really have it tied down well both sideways and fore and aft. Ratchet tie downs are better than rope. We were (emphasis 'were') planning to do the Trent-Severn and were told by the National Park people who run it to thing in terms of 5 to 6 days for that part. You could take longer but if you have more time spending it in the North Channel makes more sense to me.

Just occurred to me to say that you can take your mast down (yourself) at Castleton. They have an excellent crane and used to charge $1 of mast length but a couple of times they charged me $1 a foot for boat length. If you want someone else to do it, we had good success with Catskill Marina/Hop O Nose (they are across Catskill Creek from each other and have same ownership). Will cost quite a bit more of course.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
It should not make much difference given all New Yorkers are to Stay At Home unless tending to essential purposes. There should not be any non-commercial / essential service boaters.

Actually, no. NY has not issued a stay at home order. Everything non-essential is closed, but state parks are open (and free) and it's perfectly ok to go out for a walk, or go to a park and go hiking, biking, etc. as long as you don't get near people you don't live with. Basically, NY has been taking the approach of minimizing reasons for people to leave home or interact with other people, but not actually forcing you to stay in your house.
Old 11-04-2020, 15:17   #10

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

May depend on the canal system,due to open 15th may I believe . Castleton on Hudson is good place to remove mast,just before Albany, $50 per mast.DIY.
I hope to be there in June,weather and virus regulations permitting.
I think the canals were planning to be free again this year,some anniversary?
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:21   #11

Yes, NY canals are free again this year for recreational use. And so far no announcements regarding a change in opening date.
Old 11-04-2020, 17:42   #12

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course such a trip would be/is dependent on how this whole COVID-19 situation plays out, especially in NY. That is, in fact the reason for the post; to try and estimate the amount of time it would take to make the trip, and whether or not it could be done this season.

So, based on what I read here, I would 'guesstimate' a minimum of 5-6 weeks, if I push straight through.

I am surprised that it seems like sailing through Lake Erie and up the rivers would take less time. I thought taking the Canadian canal system would save a couple days at least.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 17:47   #13

The Trent Severn is a long canal with a lot of locks, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer.
Old 11-04-2020, 18:04   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

I thought you’d been straightened out on this topic in another thread. Apparently it was ignored. And to be clear, boating in NY isn’t banned; nor is it logical to do so. Welcome to the Ignore List. B-bye.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 18:22   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
...I am surprised that it seems like sailing through Lake Erie and up the rivers would take less time. I thought taking the Canadian canal system would save a couple days at least.
It's shorter, but it's hard to rush the 44 locks, and many bridges of the Trent.

The longer route would depend on your desire/ability to do big jumps. If you're able/willing to continually sail, then it would be faster to travel Lake Ontario and L. Erie in one passage. But if you're going to marina hop (assuming marinas are open) then it might be awash.

As someone mentioned, it really depends on what you want to get out of this trip. If it's a straight delivery, then the Welland makes sense. If it's an enjoyable journey, then I'd choose the Trent. And I'd take as long as I could possibly take.

Tags
men