Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2021, 11:29   #1

Boat: Moody 47
Where do people go and when during Hurricane season?

Hi all,

Just getting some information together as we are currently sat in the Canary Islands and looking to cross to the Caribbean in the next year all going well.

Aware of the hurricane season Jun to Nov, so where do people normally go to stay safe during that time as we would be living on the boat?

Thanks

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 11:49   #2

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Re: Where do people go and when during Hurricane season?

Grenada or Trinidad in the south or north of Norfolk Virginia.
Check with your insurer to be sure.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 05:51   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Grenada can get a hurricane but only rarely. Our feeling when there was that if the forecast was threatening we could always bail for Trinidad.
Old 21-11-2021, 05:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Yes, go south or go north but be aware that neither is a 100% guarantee you won't see a hurricane. Much, much better odds but not zero. On the other hand, I boated in South Florida for 20 years, supposedly ground zero for hurricanes and never had a direct hit or ever really close call. But at times Florida has been hit repeatedly and on almost every coast.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 05:57   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just spent the past hurricane season in St. Lucia. While nominally still in the hurricane zone they only had a hurricane cause damage once in the past 37 years. And Rodney Bay is incredibly sheltered to boot.
Old 21-11-2021, 06:00   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Hurricanes can effect almost any location in the Caribbean or the US east coast.

What many don’t understand is that most are smaller than 50 mile radius for storm force winds and you have to be pretty unlucky to get a direct hit. And it’s quite easy to move 50 miles from the predicted path if you are paying attention.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 06:09   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Hurricanes can effect almost any location in the Caribbean or the US east coast.

What many don’t understand is that most are smaller than 50 mile radius for storm force winds and you have to be pretty unlucky to get a direct hit. And it’s quite easy to move 50 miles from the predicted path if you are paying attention.
Easy to move 50 miles from the predicted path, a lot harder to move 50 miles from the actual path.
Plus it is a hell of a lot of work to prep for a storm each time one threatens. As cruiser you won't be first in line for the hurricane holes in front of the locals.

To the OP,
Where you spend the hurricane season depends a lot on your risk tolerence, if you need to maintain insurance coverage, do you plan to be onboard the whole time, and your plans for the next season.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 06:22   #8

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

A lot of boats go to Rio Dulce, Guatemala. I'm there now and can answer questions about the area. There is inexpensive labor for boat projects like painting, bottom jobs, etc. You need to pay attention though to ensure quality work.

I've never been, but I understand that Luperon, DR is safe hurricane hole as well.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 06:27   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Many times you can get away with sailing during the first couple months of hurricane season, but after July be careful.

I went through maybe 8-9 hurricanes when living in Pensacola, FL and we had one in July the rest as I remember were August, September, and October.

If I ever actually do cruise, the plan is to be back up here by mid July. The weather is quite nice along the Gulf Coast until some time in July when it starts to get really hot.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 06:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

What many don’t understand is that most are smaller than 50 mile radius for storm force winds and you have to be pretty unlucky to get a direct hit.
Exactly. Hence my 20 year run of no hits in south Florida. Very few have storm force winds extending far from the eye but it does occasionally happen.

Quote:
And it’s quite easy to move 50 miles from the predicted path if you are paying attention.
As Paul L mentioned, there's often a big difference between predicted and actual. Twice in the last six years I had to fly back to Florida at the 11th hour when the predicted track moved a day or two before arrival turning a far away pass into the eye passing well under 50 miles from my mooring.

Also a lot of hurricanes tend to run up the east coast of Florida leaving you with no where to run. Land to the west, open water and the Gulf Stream to the east and running north or south will just alter when you take the hit and maybe give a better option on where to ride it out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 08:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Easy to move 50 miles from the predicted path, a lot harder to move 50 miles from the actual path.
Plus it is a hell of a lot of work to prep for a storm each time one threatens. As cruiser you won't be first in line for the hurricane holes in front of the locals...
My first steps every morning while aboard during the season in the zone are to (a) check the battery levels, (b) turn off the anchor light, (c) make coffee and finally (d) check the weather using either WiFi or my SSB modem.
The weather fronts move off Africa every two weeks or so. Once a depression has moved north of my location in the Caribbean chain I stop looking intensely at the weather. If a depression remains south and is within 7 days of my location then I prepare to bug out by ensuring my larder is full and my path southbound has been made. I plan on being south of any major depression, so at 6 knots speed I plan my latest departure time to stay south
of the 30-knot range assuming the system moves due west. Once the depression hits my "bingo" line I leave and head southwards with full sail and engine.
There isn't a lot of preparation needed when as far south as Martinique/St. Lucia while the options further north (St. Martin, BVI) make decision-making a lot tougher.
I've learned that you prepare by making plans and then never change those plans unless outside conditions have changed (which they almost never do).
Old 21-11-2021, 09:23   #12

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Hi all,
Aware of the hurricane season Jun to Nov, so where do people normally go to stay safe during that time as we would be living on the boat?

Thanks

DTD
yes, why read books, learn about climate & weather systems or look at Pilot charts & historical hurricane tracks when you can ask CF...
Old 21-11-2021, 18:24   #13

Boat: McIntosh 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
My first steps every morning while aboard during the season in the zone are to (a) check the battery levels, (b) turn off the anchor light, (c) make coffee and finally (d) check the weather using either WiFi or my SSB modem.

The weather fronts move off Africa every two weeks or so. Once a depression has moved north of my location in the Caribbean chain I stop looking intensely at the weather. If a depression remains south and is within 7 days of my location then I prepare to bug out by ensuring my larder is full and my path southbound has been made. I plan on being south of any major depression, so at 6 knots speed I plan my latest departure time to stay south

of the 30-knot range assuming the system moves due west. Once the depression hits my "bingo" line I leave and head southwards with full sail and engine.

There isn't a lot of preparation needed when as far south as Martinique/St. Lucia while the options further north (St. Martin, BVI) make decision-making a lot tougher.

I've learned that you prepare by making plans and then never change those plans unless outside conditions have changed (which they almost never do).

Interesting strategy. Stay flexible, but stay on plan. How many seasons have you been on the plan and how many times have you bugged out? Thanks for a pragmatic view.
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 21:45   #14

I've kept my boats on the hardstand in the BVI for many years. One Cat III which did no damage to my boat, and then hurricanes Irma and Maria which did great damage. I've had this strategy for years as well, but have never had to put it into action. A couple of times I chose to stay in place because the storm was too far south or wasn't strong enough.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:14   #15

Boat: Moody 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
yes, why read books, learn about climate & weather systems or look at Pilot charts & historical hurricane tracks when you can ask CF...
Not sure if being sarcastic....
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane