Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 10:44   #16

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Sailing Charleston inlet to St. Johns Rivers inlet

Charleston has been my homeport for over 20 years, and I'll echo what the others have said about the jetties. I've used that shortcut on the south jetty before, but haven't in years and wouldn't consider doing it in anything other than a runabout, certainly not with a 6.5" draft. You will see a lot of shipping at Charleston and Savannah, and a lot of military action out of St. Johns River. You also have multiple top-notch inlets to duck into along the way if necessary. Fair winds to you.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:22   #17

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I'm very curious / interested to know. What are your "good reasons" to stay out of the ICW between Charleston and the St. John's River?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:32   #18

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

By staying close to shore (essentially the route you propose) we actually found a little counter-current (south bound flow) between Charleston and St. John's. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 kt., but a nice little boost. The farther offshore you get the closer you get to the north flowing Gulf Stream.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
I'm very curious / interested to know. What are your "good reasons" to stay out of the ICW between Charleston and the St. John's River?

From the OP:

"I have a 43ft beneteau with a 6.5 foot draft and 63.5 air draft."
Old 19-11-2018, 11:56   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Suggest you load an AIS app on your phone.

When I do a delivery on a boat without AIS, I am always surprised how far out I can get a signal. It is always better to call a ship by its name than your relative position. - China trader, China Trader- this is Oye Vey on you port bow is more likely to get a fast response versus- Big ship x miles off Savannah this is Oye Vey on your port bow.

Also be aware that around GA you may encounter one of these

My hard an fast rule is anything with nukes is ALWAYS stand-on
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 12:01   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
have you seen "Deliverance"?
Old 19-11-2018, 12:12   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
It's been quite some time since I did this leg, but I recall an exit in the Charleston south jetty that saves a few miles. It was marked both on the jetty rocks and with several buoys. I took 5 feet draft through there southbound at least twice. It was marked clearly on the charts in those days (1990's) but I've no idea if the situation has changed.
I would not recommend Dynamite Hole in the south jetty, with your draft and shifting sands off Morris and Folly islands. Sail out to the sea buoy. If you have Clorox bottle make sure you have a good radar reflector and your VHF on. The shipping won't change course for you but will warn you well in advance of their position and course. I wouldn't worry about whales. :-) Pick a weather window and go.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 14:32   #23

We are leaving Edisto Inlet Wednesday afternoon. See you on the water? When are you leaving?
bluedotvoyages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 14:45   #24

Did the trip last night. Except for the fog this morning. No issues. No issue with commercial traffic at all. Ran about 6-10 miles offshore. The right whales were our only concern.
Msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 15:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msea View Post
Did the trip last night. Except for the fog this morning. No issues. No issue with commercial traffic at all. Ran about 6-10 miles offshore. The right whales were our only concern.
Those big black whales SSB or SSBN?
Old 28-01-2019, 12:50   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
have you seen "Deliverance"?
Sail faster I hear banjos.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:41   #27

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

Ditto on the jetties turning south being dangerous. I always went to the sea buoy. When the navy base was still there I had a nuclear sub overtake me from astern 40 yds to port . Freaked me out.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
It's been quite some time since I did this leg, but I recall an exit in the Charleston south jetty that saves a few miles. It was marked both on the jetty rocks and with several buoys. I took 5 feet draft through there southbound at least twice. It was marked clearly on the charts in those days (1990's) but I've no idea if the situation has changed.
It's called Dynamite Hole and I would not take it. I sailed out of the jetties a week ago today and there were waves breaking on shoals all around that Dynamite Hole channel. Taking that channel *might* save you two miles off of your overall distance. Not worth the risk.
As for your proposed route, it should be just fine. You will likely encounter a lot of shimp/fishing vessels off of Charleston, Savannah, Fernandina Beach, etc., so be prepared for that. There are also six or eight unlit Navy towers off of the coast of Georgia. They are marked on charts and will show up on radar, but it pays to know where they are. I have them all marked with waypoints on my plotter so that I can be sure to avoid them.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:10   #29

Quote:
ICW in SC and GA makes you go back and forth for two miles for every one mile made south. So many twists and turns! Also, there is a lot of shoaling in SC and GA, and GA has ridiculous anchoring restrictions with draconian fines.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:51   #30

Diito on not even considering dynamite hole on the south jetty. Shoal outside and tricky getting through it depending on tide and river current from the Cooper. I also go along with going to the sea buoy although it is really not necessary.
Two things I hadn't seen, the first may have changed. The harbor pilots had a mooring ball inside the jetties on the north side. The second is don't ever mistake the section of submerged north jetty for passable, that's for the novice.

Tags
sailing, sail