Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2007, 10:34   #1

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Royal Island, Bahamas

As many Bahamas cruisers might know Royal Island, a beautiful landlocked harbour and a stop for many on their way from the Exumas to the Abacos is being developed. We had heard the rumour for a few years but last year when we stopped there building was in full swing, by a company which Roger Staubach (ex Dallas Cowboys quarterback and Annapolis grad.) heads. Today a friend sent me their brochure and all is not lost. It features a beautiful boat anchored in the harbour ..... "Breathless", my boat.

They intend to build a mega yacht marina and we don't know what's going to happen to cruisers. Hopefully they will not get special permission like Musha Cay did which prohibits anchoring. Musha Cay is the only spot in the Bahamas that has this right to shoo you off (and their security does just that) as you're allowed to anchor anywhere in the Bahamas.
Royal Island Bahamas
Old 30-11-2007, 12:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
... Hopefully they will not get special permission like Musha Cay did which prohibits anchoring. Musha Cay is the only spot in the Bahamas that has this right to shoo you off (and their security does just that) as you're allowed to anchor anywhere in the Bahamas.
Royal Island Bahamas
LEWIS OFFSHORE (Explorer Chartbooks)
3/2004 MUSHA CAY ANCHORING UPDATE
"March 2004--Officials have met with cruisers in George Town to respond to incidents and rumors of boats being told to leave the Musha Cay anchorage and others, citing private property or swimming area. The official policy is still that boats can anchor in all Bahamian waters, that they cannot be run away by nearby property owners. Land is private up to the high water mark, but water cannot be declared private. boaters are urged to report any violation to local administrative authorities."

Evidently, a letter was issued to the Musha Cay resort owners recognizing a "motorized swim area" and ship channel in front of their development (the only other official swim area in the Bahamas is in front of a luxury resort in Nassau). The problem with the letter is that it doesn't define the extent of the swim area or the ship channel. Neither one is marked on a chart or designated by buoys in the water.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 13:00   #3

The Bahamas have a long and colorful history of failed development. But, the developers/private owners are gaining ground. Musha Cay is the most notorious example, but there are others:

BoatUS.com Cruising Log

And, they now have $450/night condos in Georgetown. If you want to sail the Bahamas, Go Now.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 13:59   #4

Try and anchor anywhere near Musha and their security comes out. They had all sorts of meetings in GT about anchoring in Musha a few years ago but as in most cases big money won. Although there's been a lot of failed developments in the Bahamas, the new developers seem to have very deep pockets and considerable sway with the powers that be in Nassau. Another one that's gone is Bakers Bay in Gauana Cay. Unfortunately, the locals in the out islands have very little say. The Abaconians really fought the Bakers Bay development but they lost. They feel it'll wreck the reef on the ocean side but that sort of argument falls on deaf ears in Nassau.
Old 30-11-2007, 14:03   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Musha Cay is owned by David Copperfield the "Magician" who is in some trouble . He apparently takes young boys to Musha and makes their pants disapear!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 16:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
So what happens if the Musha security guards come & tell you to move & you don't?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 16:36   #7

Have you seen the security there?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:06   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Musha Cay is owned by David Copperfield the "Magician" who is in some trouble . He apparently takes young boys to Musha and makes their pants disapear!
I thought Copperfield’s alleged problem is with girls?

A 21-year-old aspiring model told police that illusionist David Copperfield, 51, lured her to his private island and raped her, then threatened her to keep quiet.
Though Musha Cay, Copperfield’s island, is outside US waters, federal authorities are claiming jurisdiction because the woman's flight began and ended in the US.
An FBI raid also took place Wednesday at Copperfield’s warehouse (the “International Museum & Library of the Conjuring Arts”).

Grand jury investigates Copperfield allegations ~ By Mike Carter
“Seattle federal grand jury is investigating allegations by an aspiring model from Washington who said she was raped, assaulted and threatened by magician David Copperfield at his private island in the Bahamas in July, at least three federal law-enforcement officials have confirmed...”
Goto: Local News | Grand jury investigates Copperfield allegations | Seattle Times Newspaper

Meanwhile, Mr. Copperfield's attorney, David Chesnoff, has issued a statement. "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone.
Goto:
Copperfield Lawyer Rebuts Allegation ~ by Kathleen Hennessey
Copperfield Lawyer Rebuts Allegation - washingtonpost.com

Old 06-12-2007, 18:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I have not seen the security there. Will the Bahamian gov't look the other way while these security forces openly cause bodily harm & damage property?
I'm having difficulty picturing a half dozen boats coming in and anchoring off and these security forces coming out and damaging all the boats with video cameras rolling, etc.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 11:24   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Is it possible to go ashore (dog walk) at Royal with the construction?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 16:55   #11

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Hey SunSpot, I am in Marsh Harbor waitin out a front but I have the same question. We will be heading that way in a few weeks. This is why we are here now ... to see the Bahamas before they are gone. Last trip was 30 years ago and the difference is stunning.

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 18:53   #12

DAMN, it seems that by the time we get a boat, everything that is of interest and naturally gorgeous, will be gone by the time we start sailing. I really hope this isn't the case..

Are there any other places that are that gorgeous and unspoilt?? I assume, great barrier reef/whitsundays, south pacifc perhaps, etc..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11   #13

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Shadow, while it isn't like it was, the Bahamas as they are today are still pretty neat.

Can anyone tell us if you can go ashore are Royal. Once this front blows through, we will head out of Nassau. Depending on winds we may go east and down the out islands or south through Exumas before working east to T&C and south to DR.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This doesn’t bode well for cruisers ... but I eagerly await updated on-site reports.

Phase One Construction Nearing Completion on Royal Island, Bahamas (May 2007)
“Private Bahamian Resort to feature World-Class Marina, Hotel and Spa, and the Jack Nicklaus Golf Club of the Bahamas...
Cypress Equities announced today phase one construction is nearing completion on Royal Island, a private resort and residential community near Harbour Island and Eleuthera in the Bahamas..."

Phase One Construction Nearing Completion on Royal Island, Bahamas

The Royal Island Bahamas Caribbean Resort claims to be the most amenities packed and exclusive development anywhere in the Bahamas. Once Royal Island Bahamas has been completed, in a few years time, the Caribbean resort will be home to private and exclusive beach front residences, a boutique hotel, a large marina, a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course, a spa and fitness facility, a theatre, tennis courts, fine wining and dining experiences in a variety of settings, beach club, golf club, kids’ club, marina village which will include sidewalk cafes, shops, a business centre, medical centre as well as the necessary customs and immigration for the harbour, a watercraft fleet from jet skis to yachts that you can hire, wireless internet access throughout the resort and the Royal Island Concierge Service.

ROYAL ISLAND RESORT (25̊ 31 N x 076̊ 50 W):
Development Details

(See the Photos and Development Plans)

Old 01-01-2008, 07:09   #15
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Soo, what is the big deal about the security in Musha?

My cruising permit have never excluded any island or anchorage, nor has my cruising guide ever mentioned any prohibited anchorages.

Not sure how these tugs could force me to leave an anchorage?

Tags
Bahamas