Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 16:14   #16

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Musha private security chasing people off.... seems like harassment without cause. Why do people buy property and then think they have to prevent someone else from being within sight? I thought most landlubbers felt there is a quaintness about having a sail boat anchored out in the harbor.....otherwise, why so many pictures in the travelogues?
How was that, Rodney? "Why can't we all just get along?"
Old 01-01-2008, 16:50   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
All the construction supplies and equipment will likely be landed in the anchorage area. Lots of big barge traffic. I suspect they will have issues with regard to boats moored there in the "Path of Progress".

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 17:34   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I suspect they will have issues with regard to boats moored there in the "Path of Progress".
Rules of the Road...Ya can't force a boat to weigh anchor just because ya wanne sail where he is.
Old 01-01-2008, 17:58   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Rules of the Road...Ya can't force a boat to weigh anchor just because ya wanne sail where he is.
Dang!!

By the time I get a boat..............etc, etc.

But what I am hearing is a few with little against a couple with a LOT, a WHOLE LOT.

You are going to lose.

Just look around.

Dang! Dang! Dang!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 18:27   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
George,

You cannot go ashore on Royal anymore unless you're going to buy one of the houses or are invited by Jack Nicklaus to visit. They have security there and the whole landing area is fenced off. Hope your dog can hold it to Eleuthera.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:41   #21

I was in St Thomas once when a Cruise ship got caught in a blow while docking. He swept the northern side of the anchorage like a big hockey stick. A few big barges in Royal loaded with Catapilars and "C-Ment Mixers" will likely make their way in. I am more dissapointed to hear we cannot land the Dog for some relief. If they put in a nice marina like they did in West End all is not lost just anothe hit to the cruising kitty. Just a wait and see. They are putting in a complex in Guana Bakers Bay and the "Government' only oked if they will have transient dockage.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAwkcharter View Post
Musha private security chasing people off.... seems like harassment without cause. Why do people buy property and then think they have to prevent someone else from being within sight? I thought most landlubbers felt there is a quaintness about having a sail boat anchored out in the harbor.....otherwise, why so many pictures in the travelogues?
The problem is that there are so many ignorant boaters who have no problem disturbing everyone in and around an anchorage. It's quaint until it's o'dark thirty and a 3 boat raft-up has decided it's party night. And sailboats ain't exempt either, we've seen this boorish behaviour from sailboats up here and in the Caribbean. Up here the cottagers have started to strike first, blaring loud music at the boats as soon as the anchor starts to rattle down and before the boats can blare back at them. What a world.

Man is a self centred beast by nature and best avoided when travelling in a pack.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 00:02   #23

When I was anchored off of musha last febuary the security was friendly and actually offered ganja for sale.
guthrie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 15:00   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie101 View Post
When I was anchored off of musha last febuary the security was friendly and actually offered ganja for sale.
Setup?.......
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39   #25

Here's the supply boat coming into Royal. He has about a foot clearance on each side coming through the cut! The nicely ask you not to anchor in its path, not a lot of room for him to maneuver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallroyal.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2391  
Old 23-02-2008, 04:01   #26

I am looking to leave Little Harbor for Royal Island in a few days. Any more info on walking the dog on the beach/shore? I have heard that it is ok after the construction crews leave.

Old 14-07-2009, 08:45   #27

Just an update on Royal Island. I was told this spring that all development has stopped there. The recession has hit many of these developments hard. For cruisers this is not a bad thing. For the locals it might not be too bad, many of these developments make a lot of promises as to how it will benefit the local population but usually they promise much more than they deliver. The development at Rum Cay has also stopped. A few years ago they were working day and night there. Also the marina at Emerald Bay is locked up, apparently bankrupt. So it's pretty quiet on the development front in the Bahamas.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:33   #28

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Rick:

Where did you get the info on Crab Cay. While we were there this winter, the pace had slowed but there was still some work going on. It would be nice if they would finish the bridge so that we could travel from Red Shanks to G'Town by dink.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 12:01   #29

George,

I don't really know about Crab Cay but when we were at a tea party at February Point last April hosted by the tourism people we heard that it was stopped too.

Tags
Bahamas