Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 15:48   #1

Rio Dulce

Considering buying a boat in the Rio Dulce. I would fly down to inspect it first but was wondering if there are credible surveyors there as well? Also, I'm new at ocean sailing (lake sailed the past 6 years), so does anyone think I'm nuts for starting there as opposed to Florida or the islands? Have taken lessons out of Ft. Meyers and sailed to Key West and back..but that's about it on the ocean. Thanks in advance.
ironhorserider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:07   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Re: Rio Dulce

two concerns; how many/what quality of surveyors are there in the Rio Dulce (which you pointed out) and if the boat needs work/parts before going to sea are these available in the Rio Dulce?
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Guatemala is pretty much the end of the line for Caribbean sailing. To where does one easily sail from there?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:14   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Guatemala is pretty much the end of the line for Caribbean sailing. To where does one easily sail from there?
Indeed!!

If there were a low pressure area traveling east to west coming across Florida (Hurricane) you may be able to scoot to Texas.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:22   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There are quite a few long-term cruisers staying in the Rio and I would try to contact some of them to take a look at the boat for you. Try this forum. Getting marine supplies and repairs there is possible, but it will take some time and effort. There are also quite a few cruisers-turned-boat repairers who can help out. However, you will need to be careful to make sure all the paperwork is legit and you can get all your ducks in a row before leaving so that you can clear out of the country, enter Belize and/or Mexico, etc. It's not a bad trip up to Florida from there, via Belize and Mexico, but it does require skill at tropical piloting, dealing a bit with the usual officialdom, and some planning in terms of weather/currents/etc. Isla Mujeres in Mexico is a good last stop before making the 300+ mile jump back to the U.S. It is not like cruising in U.S. waters. The charts aren't accurate, a lot of the guidebook information isn't much better, you can't count on things like buoys or lighthouses to be there or working, etc. If you have sailed in the Bahamas you will find that eyeballing the shallow areas is not as easy down there. The worst problem in my opinion is that the harbors along the Mexican coast north of Belize are few and far between, not well sheltered, and offer poor or non-existent holding ground until you get to Isla Mujeres, which is a fine harbor. Or maybe you plan on heading south to Honduras and then Panama?
Old 15-03-2011, 09:51   #6
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

You may try here for a surveyor - Captain John's Rio Dulce Marina

Also, Casey Brooks is listed here -http://www.marinesurvey.org/email.html

I have a friend that left Texas and is hanging out in Mexico on his way to Belize. He is planning on spending the hurricane season in Rio Dulce, and getting some paint work done and some other stuff. He says he has heard the work is good quality, and very affordable. That's all I know, but might be worth checking out. Hope this is helpful.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 17:38   #7

Boat: Pearson 35 1971

Can anyone tell me the best route to go from mobile bay,
alabama to guatemala. I was thinking about going east of Cuba then south of Cuba then towards Jamaica and on to Guatemala. Is that better than going west of Cuba /east of Mexico and down past belize to Guatemala. Is coastal cruising along the Texas and Mexican coast an option? Or should I island hop the windward and leewards then the coast of venezuela up central america to guatemala. We have a Pearson 35 sailboat. Any suggestions or opinions? We dont want to motor much if possible. Thanks,
JohnGaltJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 20:33   #8

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator :: View topic - Day sail today 12/29

Get on the Rio Dulce Chisme forum and register and Personal Message "Scoop", the editor. He has some real deals listed on the forum now and is a nice guy and will help you get what you need.

There are several boats there I would consider buying now if I didn't have a nice 462 Morgan Ketch.

Coming back to Florida is a snap. Just ride the Stream and time it to avoid any big time coldfronts. You can sail inside all the way from the Rio to Ambergris Key. Do an overnight sail timed to begin at the Chichorro banks and by the next time the sun sets you have your choice of deluxe ports to check in to Mexico or better yet keep going if you have a good way to get the big weather picture.

You can also just go outside from the Bay Amatique and go outside of Glover' Reef, etc. riding down the current and wind all the way to Key West.

my$0.02
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote