Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 06:19   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'
New Owner - Where to stay

My wife and I are about to be new owners of a Amel Super Maramu. Our intention is to have the vessel on the east coast between South Carolina and Virginia through the winter, allowing us to familiarize ourselves with her.

Does anyone have any recommendations for marinas between these states for a longer term (few months) stay?

Many thanks for your sage advice.
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 07:45   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: New Owner - Where to stay

That is a huge area. Some more info on the type of experience you would like would be helpful. City? Rural? Will you have a car for your longer term stay? Weather varies a lot between Charleston and Norfolk so what are you thinking about winter climate?
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 07:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423

Congrats.

A lot depends on your goals and that is a very large area, so I suggest narrowing down the region a bit first based on what you want to accomplish. Assuming it is about doing some sailing and not just poking around the boat in the water, my suggestion is somewhere on the southern part of the Chesapeake or in the Norfolk vicinity. This would give you access to a large body of water with generally moderate conditions. Then as you want to venture out you have access to the Atlantic.

The downside is that it will generally be cooler than further south, but not really that much. Winter cold fronts chill that whole region down.

After you narrow down the area, then start looking for marinas.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 07:58   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'

Thank you for the feedback.

We will be closing down our affairs in Cincinnati over the next 9-10 months. The boats needs a safe place to stay for that period of time.

The driving distance between the Norfolk and Savannah is basically the same. So we are open to the large area search. We will be at the boat on a monthly basis doing work, learning the systems and day sailing....all building experience and time before sendoff.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your advice.
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 07:59   #5

Boat: Spindrift 43

I second the vote for the southern Chesapeake given what you've laid out in your post. I personally like Hampton, VA- the city has a good municipal marina, there's a private marina there and a yacht club marina in the event the municipal is full. You may also consider checking at Old Point Comfort Marina.

This gives you protected sailing in Hampton Roads, Chesapeake sailing which gets slightly less protected to try developing your familiarity with the boat, and easy access to the Atlantic for multi-day offshore excursions.

Little Creek, VA also has a good marina worth checking out. It has all the same benefits as those above, just missing the Hampton Roads access.

It can and does get pretty cold there, but I've sailed in that area year-round. I knocked a little ice off the deck on occasion before setting out, but it's nothing severe by any means.

Best of luck whatever you decide!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:25   #6

Check out Morehead city/Beaufort area of NC. Easy access to the Atlantic plus several marinas in the area. Also, don't rule out Oriental NC, considered to be the "sailing capital of NC".
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:30   #7

I like the previous recommendations. However, If you want to have a moderate winter experience, with a pleasant walking distance downtown with plenty of events and restaurants, with support services within 15 minutes, I would suggest New Bern Grand Marina. I left the Chesapeake around mid October, taking the ICW for a very enjoyable trip. If you campaign it, it will take about 7-10 days depending on your daylight. We made this trip on our Force 50 for 10 years and only saw snow once. Afternoons in the 60's, lows after 4:00PM going to +/- 32. Not a hard trip. Weather moderated by the nearby Gulf Stream. Hampton will be much colder....
Sailor Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:48   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If Hampton, check out Salt Pond Marina. But I think Hampton would be a bit cold for my taste over the winter. From what I've heard you can winter in Hampton without worrying about ice, while further north in the Chesapeake you need a de-icer to circulate water and prevent ice formation around your boat. That may be more a function of declining salinity as you go north than of a difference in temperatures.

We will leave Hampton this week headed south for warmer climes
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 09:15   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

If you can get a slip at one of the protected marinas in the Southport, NC area, you have easy access to the Atlantic via the Cape Fear River. Avoid Southport Marina and South Harbor Marina in favor of Deep Point or Indigo for excellent hurricane protection. No worries about winterization in Southport. Wilmington is about 30 miles away. Raleigh is 2 & 1/2 hours away.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 10:16   #10

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
Check out Morehead city/Beaufort area of NC. Easy access to the Atlantic plus several marinas in the area. Also, don't rule out Oriental NC, considered to be the "sailing capital of NC".
If you decide to consider the Oriental North Carolina area you may want to look at Point Marina in Whortonsville North Carolina, about 10 miles away from Oriental. It is a sheltered Marina on Broad Creek off the Neuse River and has very nice facilities and a large, beautiful clubhouse and very reasonable rates. It is a private Marina and very quiet.
I have kept my boat there on and off for the last 13 years and we have people that keep their boats there from as far away from West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Texas and even Denver Colorado.
If you would like any more information you may PM me.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 27-10-2020, 11:55   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Boat specs say you have a 65.8ft mast. Be aware there is a 65ft bridge to get under to get into Pamlico sound from Beaufort. Certainly doable, but you will need to go near low tide and if you have any wind instruments sticking up very high, they could be at risk. You should take an actual measurement of your air draft including the things mounted up there.

Personally, I wouldn't want to sail in the Chesapeake during the winter. But I don't know how you are with the cold. If you want to learn the boat and are not very experienced, I recommend a place with protected water to day sail... So while Beaufort, NC has good ocean access, I would say New Bern is a better bet if you want to be on the Pamlico sound... nice sailing, mind the bridge.

I would consider Charleston, SC if you are not too worried about money. It will be quite a bit more than New Bern i think. Charleston City Marina is pretty nice. Charleston itself is quite nice and there's space to sail that's protected, plus easy ocean access. I would look at charts to see where you can sail before you pick a place. When we were doing the east coast, we skipped Savanna GA because it's a long channel in and out.. I don't think much day-sailing there.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 14:51   #12

My biggest concern would be winter. I would want to be as far south as was practical. Sailboats and cold do not mix well even at a dock. I would spend a little more driving time and go to Brunswick Landing Marina in Brunswick GA. You can do both protected sailing, in St. Simons Sound and open ocean in the Atlantic. BLM is considered a hurricane hole.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:20   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

If I have my numbers right the Super Maramu has nearly a 7' draft and a tad over 65' air draft (without lights and antennas). The area in question has a fair amount of skinny water and fixed bridges that may have some affect on your choices. I can't give you specific recommendations but having that information (and confirming whether or not it is correct) might help others more familiar with the area limit your choices.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:41   #14

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I would check flights first. I would say Charleston or South. I would check out the area around Jacksonville, FL. Maybe very south Georgia near the St Mary's River. Outstanding inlet
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 08:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E185640 View Post
My wife and I are about to be new owners of a Amel Super Maramu. Our intention is to have the vessel on the east coast between South Carolina and Virginia through the winter, allowing us to familiarize ourselves with her.

Does anyone have any recommendations for marinas between these states for a longer term (few months) stay?

Many thanks for your sage advice.
We spent a month at COOPER RIVER MARINA in Charleston SC. I chose it for the reasonable rates, but it turned out to be good all-round; well run, friendly staff etc. it’s not in town but the manager gave us a ride to the nearby airport where we picked up a rental car.

We also used Beaufort NC, Coinjock on the ICW and Deltaville on the Chesapeake

myageofsail.com
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote