Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 08:09   #16

Re: New Owner - Where to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by E185640 View Post
My wife and I are about to be new owners of a Amel Super Maramu. Our intention is to have the vessel on the east coast between South Carolina and Virginia through the winter, allowing us to familiarize ourselves with her.

Does anyone have any recommendations for marinas between these states for a longer term (few months) stay?

Many thanks for your sage advice.
We spent a month at COOPER RIVER MARINA in Charleston SC. I chose it for the reasonable rates, but it turned out to be good all-round; well run, friendly staff etc. it’s not in town but the manager gave us a ride to the nearby airport where we picked up a rental car.

We also used Beaufort NC, Coinjock on the ICW and Deltaville on the Chesapeake. But I guess with your Amel you won’t be going up the ICW!

myageofsail.com
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 17:00   #17

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I would look for as far south as is reasonable for you commute. Big temp changes as you head south. For this So Cal guy the Chesapeake will be way too cold.

If you do stay where it is colder then there is possibly an issue of "winterizing" the boat. I'm not sure what is required if the boat is in the water but you don't want engine or water heaters freezing. I'm sure there must be a bunch of threads on the site that talk about winterizing.

Enjoy your new boat.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:19   #18

Boat: Amel Meltem 53' (in the Med)

Congratulations!
I used to have a boat in Chesapeake, I would not recommend. No wind, or very little and cold in the winter. I love the scenery though, and inlets where you anchor 5 miles inland. If you have solar, not the nest place to test and experiment.

Charleston is a bit muddy to my taste to get yourself familiarized with your new boat. I assume you would be running systems to check systems out and to learn: watermaker, engine, generator, fridges and freezer. All need clean water to operate. Or you may be getting problems later on.

If you can, I would into Florida where the weather is a bit better. I assume that you will be doing some work, day sailing, just playing around the boat and maybe try a short trip to the Bahamas (when they can let you in). Don't wait until the hurricane season to do that!

Good luck!
Gibbay is offline   Reply With Quote