Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 14:42   #16

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Costs of entering countries, fees, taxes, hidden charges of caribbean cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawatuman View Post
Oh i see, i really thought all these charges were included in the price of my boat.
Damn, now I gotta clean off the computer screen ;-) Good thing I hadn't just taken a drink My computer would be toast
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:55   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Costs of entering countries, fees, taxes, hidden charges of caribbean cruising.

Some French islands can be visited for free - if you care to walk to the customs (now normally only at the airports and big ports (e.g. Fort de France, etc.) the 5 EUR mentioned is a charge by the marinas, not by local govt.

Another trick for the French ones - you can check in and out on the same form - only one fee applies then (that was true 2013, not sure if still so today). This works good for short visits when you know the departure date (e.g. on charter).

In countries that like to charge, it normally does not end with the entry fees, expect possible cruising permits and then a departure tax too at times.

We paid steep cruising permit charge in Panama (though we did not cruise there) and a departure fee in Antigua (and we were glad to depart).

In Antigua the actually unfriendly officer refused to check us in as we were not in the web check in. I was forced to set up an email account, check in digitally, only then the very many officers would process my papers. A pain in the ...

Just imagine what cruising hell could Caribbean be ... if all countries there went the AUS way ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 19:26   #18

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

The price of checking in and out of Caribbean islands is nowhere near the biggest cost of running a cruising boat. The last time my wife and I were there for a whole season we probably checked in and out maybe 10 times. It probably cost something like 2-300 dollars US. That is peanuts compared to fixing the usual stuff that breaks sailing to the islands from Chesapeake Bay and then up and down the chain. Yes, food and supplies are expensive (though St. maarten is the best for duty free boat parts.) But casual labor is cheap, as are things like canvas work in some islands. One thing I hate is sanding and painting bottoms - You can get it done cheaper down there than you will ever find in the USA.

As for entry fees, Anguilla always seems to get a bad rap. It is FREE to anchor in Road Bay. They charge you to go elsewhere but you mostly can't overnight there anyway so dont! Anguilla has some of the most beautiful beaches around and some truly spectacular restaurants.

The Bahamas, where we spent last season, do cost a fair amount. 300 for the season and food and supplies are also very expensive. But they are islands and it costs a lot to bring stuff there. If that bugs you there are plenty of other places to go.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:13   #19

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Do not let some of the stories discourage you! Read up on the forum. Talk to fellow cruisers as you go from place to place. They will inform you as to where to go and where not to go. Once you get someplace, talk to the locals ( fisherman, taxi drivers, street vendors, other shoppers, locals sitting on benches, etc.) Where do they shop. Where do they eat. What food do they eat. They survive on much less than in US. Remember further south is tropical. Change your eating habits. Apples, canned food, etc. are imported thus expensive. Bananas, coffee, sugar, papayas, etc. are grown down there so much cheaper. Specially if you purchase from local vendors. The old saying applies. Do what the locals do. Go where they go. After all. Is it not why you travel?
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 17:36   #20

Boat: FP 38

Indeed
Old 21-10-2016, 11:31   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

If the check in costs seem high to someone they should rethink this cruising thing. You dealing with governments after all
Old 21-10-2016, 16:05   #22

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

No experience anywhere but the Bahamas. The $US300 is for 180 days and you can go back and forth to the US/where ever during that time with no extra charge. It also includes fishing permits.

Cuba charges and has a 90 day limit before mandatory departure. You also have to have proof of medical insurance or buy it from the Cuban government about $US3/day.

I have seen claims that while the charges are much lower as you go South so are the time limits. Hope some one can clear this up.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 18:22   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Do not let some of the stories discourage you! Read up on the forum. Talk to fellow cruisers as you go from place to place. They will inform you as to where to go and where not to go. Once you get someplace, talk to the locals ( fisherman, taxi drivers, street vendors, other shoppers, locals sitting on benches, etc.) Where do they shop. Where do they eat. What food do they eat. They survive on much less than in US. Remember further south is tropical. Change your eating habits. Apples, canned food, etc. are imported thus expensive. Bananas, coffee, sugar, papayas, etc. are grown down there so much cheaper. Specially if you purchase from local vendors. The old saying applies. Do what the locals do. Go where they go. After all. Is it not why you travel?
I have to ask if you have actually traveled the islands?

Sure, changing your eating habits does help, and is part of the adventure. However, we have never provisioned as cheaply as we have in the USA, no matter how much we changed our habits. Things are more expensive down here and that is just how it is. We eat tons of local avacodos, breadfruit, saltfish, ect bought from locals. Still costs more than a home cooked meal in USA.

I also have to laugh about your "coffee and sugar" comment. Maybe its cheaper in the Western Carribean, but not out here on the island chain. Every one of the islands we have visited have similar coffee prices ($40/lb). Puerto Rico has such a problem with theft that they lock it up (very strange to see alcohol on the shelves, but coffee locked up). Down in Grenada sugar is often completely sold out on the island. As such its not cheap at all!

Now add maintenance items that you MUST purchase for your boat. Filters, oil ect. Let me tell you, its a hell of a shock the first time you pay $40USD for 4L of oil!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:22   #24

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Yes I have! BVI and surrounding islands were expensive. Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico were much cheaper. It is these last places that I was referring to and would come up if you spoke to other cruisers. I understand that Guatemala has some nice places also. Boca del Toro has come up but I have not been there. Ask around. I am sure there are many other places. I am presently in the Mar de Cortez cruising the Baja coast. Great place and the cost not even close to what it cost me in the BVI and surrounding area. We anchor all along the coast and islands at no cost. Great deserted beaches and coves. Easy to get back to USA if need be. Be sure and get your TIP when you get to a Mexican port. Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:18   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As a few have stated, the Western Carib (Central America if you prefer) is way cheaper than the Eastern Carib (way less crowded too). Clear in costs still vary a lot by country though as does cost of living: In general: Belize and Costa Rica are the most expensive by far. Panama is in the middle. Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Slavador are the least expensive.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:28   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The Caribbean and what peoples perception of what the Caribbean is so vastly different you can not get a decent answer on forums.

Use noonsight.com
Correct URL is www.noonsite.com.

Regardless, its a great site and probably the best source of current fees for various countries.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 13:11   #27

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn

In St Thomas USVI there is a bumper sticker that says 'You can't make this Sh*t Up!'
I believe you will find this to be true throughout the islands, 'relax,mon enjoy yousef"

Old 27-10-2016, 12:20   #28

Boat: FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbeyond View Post
In St Thomas USVI there is a bumper sticker that says 'You can't make this Sh*t Up!'
I believe you will find this to be true throughout the islands, 'relax,mon enjoy yousef"

I read one.. you only get old when instead of dreams
You have regrets

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, fees, rib, taxes