Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 19:43   #1

BVI Sailing in december

Hi,

I'm wondering whether it is worth to go sailing on a Catamaran to the BVI's in december for 3 weeks. How is it in this period regarding wind, weather, crowd, etc. of course it is crowded, but how do I have to imagine the situation. Is it necessary to look for a place in a bay at 2pm to guarantee a overnight stay? Or is it always possible to find a good spot for the night. Is it possible to reserve for example a mooring? What about the wave height? Thank you for your answers, greets Stoni
Stoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 21:22   #2

Re: BVI Sailing in december

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoni View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering whether it is worth to go sailing on a Catamaran to the BVI's in december for 3 weeks. How is it in this period regarding wind, weather, crowd, etc. of course it is crowded, but how do I have to imagine the situation. Is it necessary to look for a place in a bay at 2pm to guarantee a overnight stay? Or is it always possible to find a good spot for the night. Is it possible to reserve for example a mooring? What about the wave height? Thank you for your answers, greets Stoni
You asked multiple questions, I'll try to hit them all:

1) wind: generally from the east, 15 to 20 knots on average.
2) weather: start of typical dry season. It could pour the whole time, but is much more like to be mostly dry work occasional squalls a few of the days you are there
3) crowds: it will be becoming very crowded in December
4) need to get a mooring ball early? Yes, in some popular locations, you must get a mooring ball early or be out of luck. You generally cannot reserve a mooring in any of the typical tourist spots
5) wave height: if you are chartering, you could spend all your time within the islands on the shelf. The wave height then would be small, maybe 2 to 3 feet on a windy day. Smaller on a calm day

The virgins are fantastic if you want to do a combination of sailing, diving, and partying with other charter boats in protected waters.

I prefer the rest of the lesser Antilles, but understand why many love the virgin islands.

Also, you only ask about the BVIs. There are only a few miles between the main usvi islands and the bvis. I would strongly recommend visiting at least st john if you go, don't limit yourself to bvi only.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 00:55   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The change of the seasons triggers a slight shift in the direction of the trade winds and is often associated with a phenomenon called the "Christmas Winds". The Christmas winds are stronger than normal trades, with constant speeds that can be over 20 knots. These can start in December and last for days or even weeks and make sailing more difficult. If the Christmas winds are up the best thing to do is stay in a protected anchorage and enjoy the warmth.
There are many anchorages in the BVI and most of them now have mooring balls. If you get to an anchorage which is full you will always one or two alternate anchorages within a couple of minutes sail. I find that they start filling up in season sometime after 3-4pm. I prefer to anchor and always find space in my anchorages of choice.
If the Christmas winds are up the waves can reach 4-5 feet in the Sir Francis Drake Channel (particularly at the west end where the islands funnel the winds and waves)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The change of the seasons triggers a slight shift in the direction of the trade winds and is often associated with a phenomenon called the "Christmas Winds". The Christmas winds are stronger than normal trades, with constant speeds that can be over 20 knots. These can start in December and last for days or even weeks and make sailing more difficult. If the Christmas winds are up the best thing to do is stay in a protected anchorage and enjoy the warmth.
There are many anchorages in the BVI and most of them now have mooring balls. If you get to an anchorage which is full you will always one or two alternate anchorages within a couple of minutes sail. I find that they start filling up in season sometime after 3-4pm. I prefer to anchor and always find space in my anchorages of choice.
If the Christmas winds are up the waves can reach 4-5 feet in the Sir Francis Drake Channel (particularly at the west end where the islands funnel the winds and waves)
Good additions.

There are almost no places left where you are allowed to anchor in the main charter destinations in the BVIs, though. Some charter companies don't allow anchoring either.

The OP hasn't indicated if they are on their own boat or chartering, hut I assumed charter. There are more places you can anchor in the US VI. Most of ST Thomas and about half of St John you can still anchor.

In BVI, only anchoring left is in the less typical tourist spots. That still makes for a lot of space to anchor, but unlikely places for a charterer to visit.

Since you brought up the Christmas winds, it probably is also worth mentioning that in December, Northerns can have some potential moderate impact on the VI. North facing anchorages can see some swell and a potential increase/shift of wind.

Christmas winds don't come every year, other years they can be longer. This year they have been pretty annoying where I am at in the windwards, but not to the point of dangerous. They look like they might have finally finished this week, hopefully.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Stoni.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:51   #6

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

STONI, I would echo what jrau18 and Zanshin have said with the following additional considerations: Since the "Christmas Winds" tend to be more northerly (030 - 060 degrees) than the typical trades (090) and stronger (15 - 30 kts), they rule out many of the more popular anchorages that are exposed to the north thru east. They can be quite rolly! / Additionally, be sure that you are completely familiar with the operation of the reefing gear on your boat / Ensure that your ground tackle is up to the challenge if you are intending to anchor / Be sure to have motion sickness meds onboard for newbies.

I lived and sailed in Puerto Rico for 12 years (1971 - 1983) and have been in the BVI's for the last 20 years (1997 - Present), though not a lot of time in December of late. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:22   #7

Boat: Island Packet 485

I'’ll add my two cents, based on chartering there in December a few times as a ‘weekend warrior’ (and not otherwise much of a sailor). Short answer: good first-time cruising grounds, not so crowded in early/mid-December.

(1) Yes, BVI offers ideal “easy” cruising grounds, steady winds, islands separated enough to get a good hour-or-two sail in every day. And lots of company. And lots of re-provisioning opportunities, a great French deli in Road Town, supermarkets in several places. And beach bars everywhere, save those deserted anchorages the others have mentioned.
(2) As noted, the December “Xmas winds” can make northern-exposed anchorages somewhat uncomfortable in the swell. The most significant of these is Cane Garden Bay, a large settlement on the north side of Tortola, which was uncomfortable for us on a mooring. One sees surfers(!) at the north corner of the bay taking advantage of the northern swells.
(3) December starts party time. Especially Xmas week, of course, culminating in various New Year’s parties. (Not my style.) One year I heard of a beguiling Anegada December event that we had missed.
(4) Overall, IMO there are lots of mooring balls, and while you have to be prepared to turn and run if the harbor is full, early-mid December is not yet really the high season. (The only two I’ve ever had difficulty with were Cooper Island and Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke.) Our first year I fretted a lot; but it wasn't really necessary. Bear in mind that the charterers are all daytime-only, so they’re expecting to be settled well before dark.

Note that USVI is physically very close but requires clearance in and out, being a different country and all.

— Eric
meanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47   #8

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

[QUOTE=jrau18;2300719]Good additions.

There are almost no places left where you are allowed to anchor in the main charter destinations in the BVIs, though. Some charter companies don't allow anchoring either.

In BVI, only anchoring left is in the less typical tourist spots.

------------------------------

Have to disagree with the above. I have been in the USVI's and BVI's since mid November and have never had a problem anchoring anywhere, including all the "popular" spots. Have only used a mooring once at Saba Rock because it was cheaper than buying water at Bitter End Yacht Club (get 250 gallons, a bag of ice and the mooring for standard $30 rate). Also got a mooring for New Year's at Foxy's for peace of mind, but in retrospect that wasn't even needed.

Crowds were light the week after Thanksgiving then started picking up, but I'm guessing still much lighter than later in the spring.

Have no idea about charter company policies, but I have seen lots of them anchoring in all the spots. If you want a mooring you do need to get in early however.

Bottom line is come on down, its great here.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24   #9

Boat: Morgan 461

I agree with Moontide. We've been sailing in the BVI a few times in Dec. I thought the crowds were not that bad and I didn't have to rush for a mooring at 2pm. One year we were there and the Christmas Winds were in play for a few days and we spent that time on the leeward side of Marina Cay on the little beach. I would not shy away from going again in December.
JDeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30   #10

Boat: Outbound 46

The Christmas winds are a real phenomenon, and you always have to pay attention to the weather. That said, it is unlikely that they would affect your cruise for more than a few days. If they hit early in the month, they are likely to be short lived. Starting around, well, Christmas, the odds of them lasting a week or two or three go up a bunch. Northerly swells mostly depend on the weather further north (e.g. Bahamas), and are pretty independent of the Christmas winds. If you do get swell, depending on the size, the north-facing harbors range from merely uncomfortable to impossible.

The week between Christmas and New Years is always one of the busiest of the year, and it pays to be hooked up by early afternoon. However, the harbors are near one another, and you don't have to sail all day to get to your next stop. Jost van Dyke is one of the world's premier New Year's Eve destinations, and if you want to be there on the night you should arrive at least a couple of days in advance.

Buy a copy of "Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands" by Nancy and Simon Scott. It is the "Cruiser's Bible" and will answer many of your questions.

We mostly sail in the Windwards and Leewards now, but we got our start in the BVI. It is a terrific place to spend a few weeks.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:28   #11

Boat: Oyster 55

Stoni, do it!
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 22:59   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Look into prices on crewed yachts (all inclusive) or captain only. You may be surprised and eliminates a lot of hassle. Provisioning & check-in time.
Christmas Winds make great sailing.
I've never not been able to find a place to moor or anchor.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:50   #13

Thank you very much for all your replies, hints, answers, ... I think we will give it a try in december '17. I will for sure come up with more questions during my planning phase. greets from Switzerland
Stoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:06   #14

Most folks go counterclockwise if going around Tortola. Pick your weather / days for the north side.

Adding to what Magellan said -- In 8 or 10 trips I always got a ball - but some balls are better than other- closer to Willy T or further away or more protected or better sunset. Do not miss Gorda Sound and just get ashore and feel your way through the amazing hiking on most islands.

If you haven't picked a charterer yet Voyage is outstanding. Never fly into beef island for more than one reason. Go to STT instead and catch a ferry.

Stoni - Feel free to PM me when you get closer to your trip--so many people aided my travels in and around Basel, Geneva, Zermatt and interlaken and it'd be a pleasure to repay the courtesy over a quick Skype call.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:37   #15

Hello

As it is already January, this may be a bit late

I go down to the BVI quite a bit ( I live in Austin, but I grew up in St. Thomas and currently own a boat in the charter fleet in Tortola). We just got back last week.

With regards to mooring balls. If you want a mooring, there are generally two strategies: Get up early and beat the rush. Alternatively show up about 2 pm or so. The early birds will have left, and the new group have arrived, but there are always those that leave a bit later. If you are married to the idea of a mooring, this is a bit riskier. However, if you are on vacation, who wants to get up early just to beat the "rush hour"

you cannot reserve a mooring

Personally, I always anchor. Contrary to advice above, there are no regulations against anchoring in any of the harbors. The caveat to this is that if you do anchor, it has to be free of fouling the moorings. Those moored have rights over anchored boats. That being said, during the Christmas/New Years week (busy!!) I was able to anchor in the Bight, Anegada and Great Harbor. You have to be good at picking your spot, but it is certainly doable.

I much prefer the summer months. Weather a bit more unsettled, but not nearly as crowded.

Have fun. The BVI gets a bad rap for being too crowded (and it is crowded), but remember, the reason it is crowded is because it is beautiful and great (easy)sailing

I echo the remarks about the USVI. If you can get over the check out/check in hassle, the usvi has much to offer. It is the same chain of islands and as such has much of the same beauty. Two years ago I did a trip around St Thomas and believe it or not it was one of our favorite. We anchored in Santa Maria bay, just West of Magen's bay, and were the most islolated I have ever felt in the VI

Cheers

db
boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing