Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 06:19   #16

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: Buying a boat in Panama. Could use some advice, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hmmm...it may have just been posted for sale here on CF.

Trust but verify...digital text and pics are just bits in cyberspace...reality may be very different.
Yes sounds about the same, except the ad I saw says 'Pacific side'.
If its this one I have my boat currently out on the 'Pacific side'. There's not many options.
OP send me a PM if this is what you are referring to and want some help.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:22   #17

There are a lot of good points there, and I'm getting ever less optimistic that this will pan out. I was thinking that I'd be able to spend a season on some easy sailing with this boat, but beginning by beating a thousand miles east across the Caribbean doesn't sound fun.
philaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:50   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaw View Post
There are a lot of good points there, and I'm getting ever less optimistic that this will pan out. I was thinking that I'd be able to spend a season on some easy sailing with this boat, but beginning by beating a thousand miles east across the Caribbean doesn't sound fun.
Why the beat?

The boat can be stowed in Panama ,you just have to make sure it is properly cared for. From the San Blas, Panamarina is a very good option. Many San Blas cruisers stow their boats there.

And there is easy cruising in the San Blas. Video proof:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1xymokpmd...as_HD.mp4?dl=0
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thanks Belize , I'm thinking of getting off the boat for a while thus looking for somewhere well priced and safe to leave Sukha. The lightning does worry me a tad,especially that I'm currently fitting some new electronics.

I'll investigate your suggestions.

Cheers Dale.
PanaMarina is good and the most favorably priced. They fill up quick though.

In Bocas there are a bunch of unofficial marinas which are low priced, but are a mixed bag. There are 3 official marinas (Bocas Marina, Carenero, & Red Frog). Im currently stowing my boat at an unofficial there for about $250/mo including cleaning.

You can fly directly into Bocas which is a plus if taking a boat break. No airports near any of the others...Panama City is the closest and then 2-3 hours land travel to get to the marinas on the NE coast.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:40   #20

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

Philaw, you asked for advice. Most are giving you excellent advice but I don't think you are listening. Be careful when buying - no matter how good a deal it seems. Get the boat hauled, surveyed and be sure things are working. I saw a 40ft boat for sale at an unbelievably good price. Fully equipped as yours. It was anchored off Portobello near the San Blas. Unfortunately it has been anchored for 9 years. Nothing works except I was assured the engine still runs. Radar and electronics quit, rot in the deck and cabin liners. The anchor chain has not moved in 9 years. Imagine the growth.
Rain lightning and humidity will test everything. Especially in Panama.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:18   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteHill

I have a related question: how can one locate a reliable surveyor in Panama? I am looking at boats for sale in Puerto Lindo/Linton.
WhiteHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHill View Post
I have a related question: how can one locate a reliable surveyor in Panama? I am looking at boats for sale in Puerto Lindo/Linton.
I can refer you to one. Dont know how he feels about his contact info being posted on a public forum so I will PM.

Marinas may have other references.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:33   #23

I am a yacht broker in Panama, also a surveyor and you may be pleased to learn that Panama has very many boats at bargain prices, stuff I don't normally deal with. Equally, Linton Bay has a new travellift and excellent yard and is near to Panamarina at similar prices, both are most hospitable. $10,000 boats are common here, though some owners hang on for too long trying to get more.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 13:14   #24

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If it is Tarka you're looking at at least you can watch fairly recent video and details of the boat on youtube...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 14:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
I am a yacht broker in Panama, also a surveyor and you may be pleased to learn that Panama has very many boats at bargain prices, stuff I don't normally deal with. Equally, Linton Bay has a new travellift and excellent yard and is near to Panamarina at similar prices, both are most hospitable. $10,000 boats are common here, though some owners hang on for too long trying to get more.
Which brokerage?
Old 05-07-2019, 14:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Which brokerage?
I represent Sea Boats, Home - Boat sales,Ship Sales,Marine Insurance,Fishing ... - SeaBoats
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:08   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thanks Belize , I'm thinking of getting off the boat for a while thus looking for somewhere well priced and safe to leave Sukha. The lightning does worry me a tad,especially that I'm currently fitting some new electronics.

I'll investigate your suggestions.

Cheers Dale.
A lot depends on your boat travel plans and what time of year you want to store. If it is the wet season, as aptly described above as the biblical lightning season, I'd consider dry storage in Curacao. Much drier climate and less lightning. Plus its on the way.
Panama is best done December and onward.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:12   #28

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
I am a yacht broker in Panama, also a surveyor and you may be pleased to learn that....
..... my Nigerian uncle is also yacht broker AND surveyor, not that the two, by any nature, have a confluct in interest. None. Trust me.....
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:24   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A lot depends on your boat travel plans and what time of year you want to store. If it is the wet season, as aptly described above as the biblical lightning season, I'd consider dry storage in Curacao. Much drier climate and less lightning. Plus its on the way.
Panama is best done December and onward.
Hi Paul, I sent emails away to Curacao and Aruba today, their rates seem reasonable.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:34   #30

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

I'll bet this is the boat the OP is all lathered up about. It is on a separate thread as of today...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...um+-+Emails%29

Tarka. An Albin Vega 27 in very good condition. Tarka's owner has a YouTube channel and is selling for family reasons. This little boat is a gem for the price. But she needs an experienced captain and not a dreamer.

So... OP, Please DO NOT buy her and just let her sit. If you do, she will be just another graveyard boat a year from now. If you have not stored a boat in the tropics, you have no clue as to how fast boats and their equipment will deteriorate.

Save that dream of yours. Buy local or buy when you can actually go sailing.

Just an FYI from someone that actually knows and has returned to an "oh crap have I got a lot of repairs to do" tropic stored vessel. Take off the rose colored glasses and please do not kid yourself. One good deck leak and your 10k steal will quickly turn into a big headache.

Tags
boat, buying, lease, Panama