Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 10:37   #1

Where could I send some hydraulic oil for some testing?

Hi there,

on the sailing yacht I am currently working there is a large assortment of hydraulic systems (winches etc.).
The hydraulic fluid used is either Greenplus or Mobil EAL 224H (ISO Vis.32), a biodegradable fluid.

We are encountering some problems with the hydraulics and a cause could be the age of the oil.
Can someone suggest a place (in the US if possible) familiar with biodegradable fluids where we could send in a sample for a test analysis to see if the fluid we have in the system is still good?

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Where could I send some hydraulic oil for some testing?

I bet Blackstone labs could do it, but why not just change the fluid? I don't have any experience with Biodegradable Hyd fluid, is it vegetable based ?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21   #3

Although I've never dealt with them, Blackstone Labs is also the lab I was going to suggest, based on numerous recommendations on other websites.

What kind of problems are you having?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15   #4

@a64pilot: yes, it is vegetable based. Main advantage is its biodegradable and more environmental friendly. Why not just change it? About a barrel needed plus probably a pain in .... to clean the hoses and get rid of the air afterwards, pretty complex system here ....

@socaldmax: problems we have is that both captive winches for the genua are behaving not like they should. On the port winch, going out with rope the motor kind of pulses (not going out with the same speed), going in all fine. On the starboard site it is the opposite. Going out all fine, going in it pulses. All other 'normal hydraulic winches' still work as they should.

Thank you both for the lead to Blackstone labs.

Carsten
Old 04-02-2015, 13:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think an issue with Biodegradable fluids, is they degrade of course. If your clogging filters etc., that may be your issue.

I assume your very concerned about the environment and that is why you chose this fluid, I asked if it were vegetable based as I believe you can mix it with your Diesel fuel and burn it, Ask the manufacturer of course first. If so I'd keep the mix to less than 20% fluid. I believe you'd essentially have Bio-Diesel, but I do not know what additives the fluid may have, so ask first of course.
I run Bio-Diesel when I can get it in my truck, it has greater lubricity and at a 5 to 10% mix, it returns slightly better fuel mileage.
It's cold filter pour point may be lower though, so if your in cold weather that could be a problem.

Check though first, I'm making assumptions here and could be way wrong

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:30   #6

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

I think Titan labs may be able to help as well. I am working with them on other engine fluids work and they have been good to work with and are ISO 17025 certified.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:36   #7

Boat: Union 36

Any Caterpillar dealer can get this done to a high standard.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:33   #8

I have been using Blackstone Labs for years for engine and hydraulic oil. Good people.

Blackstone Labs

My tractor hydraulic fluid has to be changed per hours or time. I think two years or 400 hours. I don't change per the manual and the UOA from Blackstone says the fluid is just fine. Having said that, if the oil is getting past 3 or 4 years it is likely time to change, especially if there are problems.

Are there manuals that state service times for the hydraulic systems? Does the oil in use meet the equipment specs in the manual(s)?

In the states, Blackstone will send you free sample kits. Not sure how that will work being in the Bahamas.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Given oil can be recycled and should be recycled, I don't see any point in adding a potentially substandard oil to your hydraulic system. Hydraulic systems must be kept exceptionally clean. Particles caused by degradation are not a good thing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:31   #10

Boat: Endeavour 32

Don't waste your money. You need to trouble shoot the system. Check the system pressure, solenoid vales, etc. I would have to see the hydraulic drawings to make a guess at the problem. Also how big is the hydraulic reservoir? The system should vent to the atmosphere so there is no need to bleed air in lines like a car break system so changing oil is simple. Also not all hydraulic components work well with biodegradable fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:13   #11

... will have more time to trouble shoot tomorrow.

Carsten
Old 05-02-2015, 10:31   #12

go to the fone book, and find a garbage company, or dump trucks, they have hydrolics on every truck! ask them who does their tests. you need to have the oil tested for 'particles!' it`s a little more expensive than the normal motor oil tests. with that much oil in the system, i would absolutly have a filter in line! i would`nt use the earth safe, etc, green stuff...use normal hi-grade hydrolic oil, and the proper viscosity! as you can see, the filter is an important addition!...after the first filter change, you can go longer...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:03   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Blackstone Labs

I have used black stone labs to test my car engine oil. Love their service and they will give you the numbers plus a written synopsis on how they think the condition is. When you send in the sample you can write a paragraph explaining to them your concerns if any.

Tags
oil