Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 08:54   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Best areas to buy boat with cash

Hi everyone,

We are looking to go down the Caribbean to cruise for a year or so. We have $30,000 in cash to buy our boat. We are looking to get some advice on which areas we should target that have a lot of boats for sale.

We likely will be in the area next month or the month after and are trying to figure out which areas we should focus our time in.

Thanks!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:04   #2

Re: Best areas to buy boat with cash

Lots of deals to be had in St Pete and South West Florida. Also, good refit facilities and parts availability in St Pete without paying the Fort Lauderdale area dockage and storage premiums.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best areas to buy boat with cash

Here you go..
https://www.apolloduck.com/advert.phtml?id=416084

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 09:16   #4

Florida. You should be able to get a boat advertised at $50k for about $30k. Some will , Some wont.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Florida. You should be able to get a boat advertised at $50k for about $30k. Some will , Some wont.
Cheechako, thanks, thats the type of deal we are looking for. I would assume deals like this are more "underground" and not listed on the interwebs and more focused on word of mouth sales? Or are you talking about listings that are present and listed at 50k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thanks Boatman - I actually have contacted the brokers about a week ago regarding this boat asking for more details/specs/photos. Do you know anything about these boats? Seems like they are a very rare thing? I love aft cabins and center cockpits and would much prefer a boat like this(or a Morgan OI 41 or so). Seems like the owners haven't used this boat much and are looking to offload asap. Apparently the engine is not running - though they have no info on whats wrong and they are entertaining any offers(which is another reason I like this one).

If for example I could get it for $10-15k, it'd leave me with enough cash to either fix or outright replace the engine and still have a bit of capital remaining.
Old 28-12-2016, 12:23   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

If your plan is to sail in the Caribbean for a year or two, then buy down there rather than in Florida, you'll use up several weeks/months of your year or two just getting the boat from Florida to the islands (I'm assuming you're aiming for the eastern Caribbean?) and there'll be boats you see that whilst they're fit for and capable of sailing the islands, perhaps aren't up to getting there from Florida - you're looking at either a very long offshore passage, a long upwind offshore passage or a lot of motoring for that trip. I would suggest that the widest choice and best most negotiable prices will be found in Trinidad or Grenada, though St Martin usually has a few worth looking at too
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:56   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dan- Just remember to check out the venue complications before you go shopping. Sometimes dollars are taken, sometimes not. Currency exchange takes a bite. And "cash" means nothing to most sellers, here or abroad, since it isn't taxable income they need to hide or something. Where you buy it and where you register and title it, will impact the total price. Some places tax the transaction, some may not have the same title status, so you need to know how to check (especially in a private sale) if there are perhaps liens on the boat. If you don't register it in the US (state or federal documentation) you may find problems with insurance, which many marinas will want, and other issues. Of course if all that is old news and not a problem for you...Nevermind. Enjoy the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 13:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Thanks Boatman - I actually have contacted the brokers about a week ago regarding this boat asking for more details/specs/photos. Do you know anything about these boats? Seems like they are a very rare thing? I love aft cabins and center cockpits and would much prefer a boat like this(or a Morgan OI 41 or so). Seems like the owners haven't used this boat much and are looking to offload asap. Apparently the engine is not running - though they have no info on whats wrong and they are entertaining any offers(which is another reason I like this one).

If for example I could get it for $10-15k, it'd leave me with enough cash to either fix or outright replace the engine and still have a bit of capital remaining.
They were I believe a short run.. have never come across one myself but DuFour designed/built some good strong boats back then.. likely was to big for the era..
The builder alone makes it worth checking out.. get as much info as you can about the hurricane damage repaired and a good surveyor..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-12-2016, 13:55   #9

Quote:
Cheechako, thanks, thats the type of deal we are looking for. I would assume deals like this are more "underground" and not listed on the interwebs and more focused on word of mouth sales? Or are you talking about listings that are present and listed at 50k?

Well, not underground. You just have to look alot, understand the market, get examples of previous listed/sold boats of the same ilk and make an offer at 50% or so and see if you can get it for 40% off. It happens.... often. What equally happens is a new seller, who loves his boat, but hasn't run the gamut of trying to sell yet... he feels his boat is worth more than other's boats. 1-2 years later he will come to reality.
Find the boat that someone has spent a bunch of recent money on, because they thought they wanted to sail the world, then their life changed, divorce, medical issues etc.
You can spend a ton of money on a bargain boat by the time you get it ready for cruising if you are not careful.
The other type of bargain boat is one that is a good solid boat, but not aesthetically what people want now days. A Morgan OI41 is in this vein.
Many sailors are helpless romantics and want that low slung, teak and varnish covered Yacht. It's a process.

Old 28-12-2016, 14:16   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Grenada or St Martin.

I found owners in SE USA refused to negotiate. I got a larger boat for less in the Caribbean.

One trick to be aware of is accomodation in St Martin can be very expensive in hotels. However there are Crew Houses for about $30 PP per night. Dorm accomodation.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 14:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Grenada or St Martin.

I found owners in SE USA refused to negotiate. I got a larger boat for less in the Caribbean.

One trick to be aware of is accomodation in St Martin can be very expensive in hotels. However there are Crew Houses for about $30 PP per night. Dorm accomodation.
Shrimpy's just by the bridge French side does rooms.. sit on the veranda and watch the boats come and go through the cut.. Time Out Boatyard and others are just up the road.

Old 28-12-2016, 16:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Shrimpy's just by the bridge French side does rooms.. sit on the veranda and watch the boats come and go through the cut.. Time Out Boatyard and others are just up the road.
I'll definitely add them to the list of places to stay. Cheap and close to potential boats is the most important thing for me as we have a limited budget and dont want to blow it on hotels and crap and then not be able to afford a boat.
Old 28-12-2016, 18:45   #13

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We are looking to go down the Caribbean to cruise for a year or so. We have $30,000 in cash to buy our boat. We are looking to get some advice on which areas we should target that have a lot of boats for sale.

We likely will be in the area next month or the month after and are trying to figure out which areas we should focus our time in.

Thanks!
Hi.
I have a 38ft sloop for sale, my son and I just completed a trip from Panama to Trinidad so she's fully seaworthy ,currently in chaguramas,Trinidad we need to fly home to South Africa so we're selling for a very reasonable price you can contact me at rodsteyn@gmail.com
Yogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:38   #14

Boat: Boatless

Go down island where dreams go to die. The added benefit is you have a nice downwind cruise back to the US (as opposed to the "thorny path") where you may sell at a bit of a profit now that your new boat is "proven".

Plenty of yards to check out down there and good advice in earlier posts. Get as far south as possible, Trinidad or Grenada.

Good luck!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:49   #15

Trying to buy a boat down island, in the Rio Dulce or in Mexico could get you a great bargain for sure. From what I've seen though, these are often heavily neglected. It's also difficult getting to the few available and communicating.
OTOH, Florida has hundreds of boats, cheap hotels, very cheap rental cars.
And the most important thing: You don't want to miss the best thing about the Caribe...the Bahamas on the way down island!