Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 16:05   #1

Boat: between boats
East Coast US - best shoreside location for a US base?

I'm interested in opinions on what are the fantastic, great, wonderful places on the east coast of the US to buy a property with its own slip or dock.

We're currently west coast based and about two years out from retirement. We'll probably have a 45-50' boat and want a place to base ourselves (a house with its own dock) during hurricane season, with the expectation that we'll be sailing in the Caribbean during the winter and either lock up the house or rent it out while we're gone.

I should add that we can afford $400k-$500k to give you a balpark; don't really want a condo.

So what area or community would you choose?

To narrow it down, we're not interested in Florida. From what I've heard insurance is an issue south of Cape Hatteras.

Recently visited friends in North Carolina and meant to check out New Bern and Oriental but didn't make it. Opinions on Pamlico or Ablemarle Sounds? I got the sense it would be too damn hot/humid in the summers.

I lived for two years in DC so not convinced that we want the Chesapeake Bay area either, although Annapolis might be worth a look.

So I'm leaning more toward north of NYC or north of Boston. Coastal Maine perhaps?

Opinions and any positive or negatives would be great to hear!

- Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 16:11   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: East Coast US - best shoreside location for a US base?

I don't know, but I can say that in my travel down the coast that there are houses all along it with docks, but no boats!
Old 28-12-2016, 16:20   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Long Island Sound is great in the summer.
Plenty of nice shore side homes with docks.
NY, CT, RI
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 16:26   #4

Oh, I forgot to mention - trying to minimize taxes too :-)
Old 28-12-2016, 16:28   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadreams View Post
I'm interested in opinions on what are the fantastic, great, wonderful places on the east coast of the US to buy a property with its own slip or dock.

We're currently west coast based and about two years out from retirement. We'll probably have a 45-50' boat and want a place to base ourselves (a house with its own dock) during hurricane season, with the expectation that we'll be sailing in the Caribbean during the winter and either lock up the house or rent it out while we're gone.

I should add that we can afford $400k-$500k to give you a ballpark; don't really want a condo.

So what area or community would you choose?

To narrow it down, we're not interested in Florida. From what I've heard insurance is an issue south of Cape Hatteras.

Recently visited friends in North Carolina and meant to check out New Bern and Oriental but didn't make it. Opinions on Pamlico or Ablemarle Sounds? I got the sense it would be too damn hot/humid in the summers.

I lived for two years in DC so not convinced that we want the Chesapeake Bay area either, although Annapolis might be worth a look.

So I'm leaning more toward north of NYC or north of Boston. Coastal Maine perhaps?

Opinions and any positive or negatives would be great to hear!

- Joe
If you want a dock behind your house near Annapolis you better find some more money, but if you're from the DC area you should know that. You'll probably be looking on the eastern shore.

Minimizing taxes rules out Virginia.

As for what you want, you've really ruled everything out. I dislike the NC sounds because there is too much shallow water.

Others may not care, but given certain health issues (wife), good access to medical care may be more important than getting what you want at a price point.
Old 28-12-2016, 16:38   #6

Buzzards Bay or penobscot bay - although at your budget and boat size and stated goal of dodging the season, I'd gently suggest not buying and spend the money marine fees.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 16:47   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

Don't rule out Florida so quickly. Insurance is bad but not totally unbearable. Remember, Florida has no state income tax!

I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Waterfront, hurricane protected houses can be had for just a little more than your budget dictates. Travel over to the west coast to Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, or Port Charlottesville and you can find beautiful waterfront home in your price range. Those with no fixed bridges will be slightly higher priced than those on canals with fixed bridges to open water.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 16:53   #8

Grew up in nc, new bern has affordable water front homes that are super nice. Great sailing community. The trip from new bern to oriental is fun.

Summer is only humid and hot for July/august. Really really good spring and fall.

Raleigh isn't too far away making air travel nice.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:28   #9

Your stated price range and boat length (but mostly price) rules out New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Rhode Island, a *very* nautically oriented state, will have a few places. Tiverton always seems to have one or two in that price range for sale. Of course, the house might actually be built on pilings, and have no parking, so .....

Maine might work out. The tidal range is far greater (14' is pretty typical, but it varies by place, increasing the farther north-east one goes), so docks are a bit more problematic.

Also, often in the north east, the dock itself might be smaller, but the property will come with rights to one or more moorings. The dock, then, would only be used for the dingy or short term for loading (depth permitting) while the yacht is moored just out a bit.
djlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:43   #10

The everglades has some nice docks
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 18:31   #11

And gators!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 18:38   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Greenport NY, on the north fork of LI.

Still affordable (although waterfront with a slip would not be), great little town, access to some of the best sailing and most interesting cruising grounds on the Sound and on up to Cape Cod and north. It's pretty nice in the summer. You're two hours from NYC by train or car, 50 minutes from Islip Airport.

When it's time to head south you have a 36 hour run to Cape May and then can do the ICW, inside, outside, whatever.

Annapolis is a lot of fun and is a sailing crazy town, but it can be pretty hot June-August. Best sailing here is spring and fall but summer is not exactly terrible. Big plus is that the Chesapeake, with 2,000 miles of coastline, has enough gunkholing to keep you busy for the rest of your life.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 19:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28

This is where my boat is and it's also where the USCG put their boats during Mathew, best on the East coast,

http://windmillharbourmarina.org/
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 02:08   #14

Thanks for all the great feedback! Pretty much confirmed what I thought. I plan to check out Rhode Island north through Maine. We'll give NC another look - currently have a rental property in Raleigh and friends in Wilmington so we'll be back out that way soon anyway. We were there for the 4th of July and my gosh it was too hot!

I really do like the thought of Maine so definitely want to check it out.

We have a couple of years to look so that area may be our next charter.

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 29-12-2016, 03:02   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, djlocker.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast