Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 17:12   #31

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Basse Terre - local knowledge appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolent58 View Post
It’s Monday and I’m currently failing to check out of Deshaies. Supposed to check out at the Marina - closed despite posted hours. One cruiser managed to check out at the police station before the station closed abruptly despite posted hours. The customs office also closed despite, you guessed, posted hours. Locals say that because of Carnival nothing will be back to normal until late in the week. There are 8-10 boats trying to check in or out today and we’re all failing to do so. So maybe don’t count on Deshaies as a port of entry until the locals decide to do something to make access to clearance more predictable.
Thanks. I just arrived to clear in. If it’s not possible, I’m moving on to Pointe a Pitre to get my Starlink. Woohoo!, It’ll be OK there, a really big marina. I doubt the officials will be upset at a not-so-prompt clear-in. French bureaucracy on this is pretty chilled 👍.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 03:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We should he making our way South from St Maarten in a week or so. We have stopped in Deshaies many times but never Basse Terre. I see there is a marina there. Yet we vastly prefer to anchor.

Is anchoring allowed?
Is there a dingy dock in the marina?
Where is Customs? Typical French computer?
How is the fuel dock? We may want to get water.

Any other suggestion or tales or whatever?

Many thanks.
FIND IT FOR YOURSELF, IT,S THE ALL POINT OF ADVENTURE SAILING,,OR STAY HOME WATCHING ADVENTURE TV
beta600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 12:23   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We were in Bouant last night. Planned on Deshaise but feared everything closed so we motored south. Tried to deal with Basse Terre today, 13 February. High seas, wind to 30 knots. Can’t bring our 58 foot boat in. Anchoring is in 100 foot water even near shore. No chance to launch the dinghy even if we anchored. We motored back to Deshaise and hope to clear out tomorrow. Also hope to get fuel.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 15:18   #34

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We were in Bouant last night. Planned on Deshaise but feared everything closed so we motored south. Tried to deal with Basse Terre today, 13 February. High seas, wind to 30 knots. Can’t bring our 58 foot boat in. Anchoring is in 100 foot water even near shore. No chance to launch the dinghy even if we anchored. We motored back to Deshaise and hope to clear out tomorrow. Also hope to get fuel.
I’m there now in rolly deep water, well away from the chaos that is Deshaies.. Customs is closed until Thursday. A container office by the fish dock. I can’t say I’m worried.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal