Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2024, 15:46   #16

Boat: Moody 47
Re: Basse Terre - local knowledge appreciated

We have just walked past Le Pelican and outside the check in notices have been crossed out and heard that the computer terminal there has been shut down.
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 16:24   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

RE: Deshaies

I took a look at the Guadeloupe Cruisers FB page. There is a Customs office just outside of town on the main road heading South, as if you were going to the botanical gardens but not nearly so far. You go past the marina and start up the hill, in a couple of hundred yards on the right, set back off the road, blue??? I have never seen it open.

ANYWAY, a poster has a supposed schedule for this office through the end of the month. The times were all over the place with no regularity what-so-ever. Some openings as little as 1-1/2 hours. Just a photo of a hand written page.

That FB page may be the best info we can get for Deshaies, or Guadeloupe in general.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 23:14   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm surprised that the businesses in Deshaies don't pool together for a new (used) PC - the loss of business due to cruisers not stopping there for clearance and then staying overnight and dining ashore would surely be more than chipping in for a ~300Euro PC.
Old 28-01-2024, 23:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I don’t know. Maybe.
But maybe not, we are a tight fisted lot.
AND I find people would often rather complain than do something.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 00:30   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I wonder if there are perhaps fees associated with the PC-Software and getting the official stamp to authenticate the printed forms; if Le Pelican has to pay for that as well then I can understand.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:08   #21

Boat: FP Bahia 46

Last time I went into Basse Terre was about 15 years ago. Went in with a 43ft catamaran at around midnight. As we entered we could just make out the huge concrete blocks that littered the bottom of the entry as several years prior, a big storm had washed the manmade breakwater blocks into the channel. Despite money from the EU to fix the problem, it was rumored that funds were embezzled and the works not carried out. The first couple of docks were in complete collapse which we didn't see at midnight. The harbormaster was adamant that we move quickly the next morning. It might have been taken care of by now but they were definitely unmarked hazards to navigation.

Have seen and heard from various monohulls of the swell action that occurs outside the breakwater..... People getting seasick and strong pendulum action....Spent 3 years in Guadeloupe and would never go back to this port/marina. Ille de Saintes is MUCH nicer.......
ralphmarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:55   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Just departed Guadeloupe yestarday after spending 3 weeks. Deshaies uses customs office for clearance. Open at random hours but schedule is posted in Pelican. Tie in the river south of town and walk uphill to customs. 200 meters.
Basse-terre anchoring conditions were windy and gusty with good holding in 30 feet by the marina. Gas available every day, self service. Walk to gas station to request pump activation. Water at the marina docs only. None at fuel doc. Can take dink to marina and tie at fuel doc sometimes you may need to jump fence or get creative getting inor out. There is great bakery and restaurants nearby. Also small market.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:08   #23

We thought Basse Terre anchorage was quite convenient and seemed safe. No problem with holding, but yes, pick your spot carefully. Sunsets were beautiful. There are several residents that live on anchorage. Be careful not to anchor by the boats that look full of pelican droppings because they will come to your boat only if you are nearby. Dinghy dock is attached to fuel dock. The fuel station is actually run by the gas station - not the marina. So, when you get there, that's where you go. We did fit our Leopard48Catamaran in there but barely. Monohulls would have no issues.

We rented a car from QuickRent. wonderful service - they delivered car to the marina. we went to the Super U and LOVED provisioning there. We drove to the Chutes du Carbet Waterfalls and did that hike - easy drive on good roads. You could drive to volcano. Lots of convenient exploring from here. The city of Basse Terre has wonderful shopping! Outside of buildings look worn, but inside they are very modern and have a great selection. Everything you could want.

Video and Blog post here if you are interested in pics. https://bluedotvoyages.com/secrets-o...in-guadeloupe/
bluedotvoyages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 15:52   #24

Boat: Oyster 66

I’ve been into Basse Terre, a bit of a tumbleweed marina.

A few years ago when Pelican was closed due to the owner’s holidays I managed to check out at the police station. Maybe that’s an option?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 17:35   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We should he making our way South from St Maarten in a week or so. We have stopped in Deshaies many times but never Basse Terre. I see there is a marina there. Yet we vastly prefer to anchor.

Is anchoring allowed?
Is there a dingy dock in the marina?
Where is Customs? Typical French computer?
How is the fuel dock? We may want to get water.

Any other suggestion or tales or whatever?

Many thanks.
We have anchored off the cemetery north of the marina, open road stead. The marina has shallow water and tight space. Yes, anchor at will. The cemetery is noted on Navionics.

I can also highly recommend you stop over at Bouant just south of Malendure. It has good shelter, good holding and seldom many boats. The dinghy dock is excellent and is swimming distance from the outflow of a geothermal power station. You may have to share the man made hot spring with a hundred or so locals. Nice restaurant right there, several fun local shops.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 18:42   #26

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

I ve lots of time in Guadeloupe and I happen to love the place since I’m also francophone from my years in Montreal. I love DesHais and the Saints. Anchoring in the Saints yes, in DesHais yes in Basse Terre poor holding bottom so we dragged some. I remember the MacDonalds had a heavily armed guard. Point a Pitre was the Marina of choice with plenty of facilities for repairs after long crossings.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:15   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I’ve been into Basse Terre, a bit of a tumbleweed marina.

A few years ago when Pelican was closed due to the owner’s holidays I managed to check out at the police station. Maybe that’s an option?
No. Police station doesn’t have a computer as of 3 weeks ago when I checked in. Had to go to customs office and clearance done on paper.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:12   #28

Boat: Beneteau 46

It’s Monday and I’m currently failing to check out of Deshaies. Supposed to check out at the Marina - closed despite posted hours. One cruiser managed to check out at the police station before the station closed abruptly despite posted hours. The customs office also closed despite, you guessed, posted hours. Locals say that because of Carnival nothing will be back to normal until late in the week. There are 8-10 boats trying to check in or out today and we’re all failing to do so. So maybe don’t count on Deshaies as a port of entry until the locals decide to do something to make access to clearance more predictable.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:12   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Check in-out at Le pelican. T shirt souvenir shop
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:19   #30

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Check in-out at Le pelican. T shirt souvenir shop
Not an option. There is no longer a clearance computer at Le Pelican.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal