Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 16:04   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Bahamas island hopping anchorage timing

I am planning on going from the Turks and Caicos to Mayaguana, Acklins, Rum and on to Staniel Cay. I am trying to think out anchorage timing. I want to enter anchorages with good light but I don't want to spend nights sailing around in circles waiting for the sun to come up!
A couple of these hops are 7 to 11 hours for me. My chart plotter shows a clear previous track. If I get in safely, wouldn't I be safe to leave in the dark as long as I stay EXACTLY on the track that I followed getting into the anchorage? The anchorage at Mayaguana Government Dock looks pretty straightforward and I think I could get in in the afternoon (1500 hours). The anchorage at Atwood Harbour Acklins looks like a great anchorage but to make Rum (11 hours) with enough light to work my way in, I will need to leave Acklins in the dark. I am thinking I will do the passage from Rum to Staniel overnight so I will have plenty of light to get into Staniel. Does this make sense or am I asking for trouble.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bahamas island hopping anchorage timing

You're plan, to depart in darkness [as required] makes sense, to me.
A full[ish] moon, and a clear sky, can be your friend.

In winter, you’ll get <11.5 hours of astronomical daylight, in the Bahamas. From March on, you’ll get >12 hours.
In the Bahamas, the sunset period averages about ±27 minutes.

Sunrise and sunset in the the Bahamas:
https://www.worlddata.info/america/bahamas/sunset.php

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 04:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 323

You are right on, come in in daylight and use your bread crumbs to get out. I was given this advice from this forum when I was working my way down the Abacos and I wanted to cross to Egg Island. I had never been to Little Harbor (my planned departure poing), but arrived from the ocean in daylight and left EARLY morning. Worked perfectly. Have used the same strategy since. Also, take mental note of surrounding landmarks as you arrive to give yourself more confidence leaving, you may see better in the ambient light than you expect.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:09   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It really depends on the anchorage. There are some that require weaving through shallow spots and coral heads, and I wouldn't do those in the dark no matter how good my waypoints. Plus, currents and wind can easily set you off your course quickly while you aren't paying attention to the route. When on passage instead of sailing in circles I try to adjust speed a few hours out for proper arrival time, or if it is calm just get close and drift while taking a nap.
Old 06-02-2024, 05:23   #5

Aside from your technical question there is another one of logistics you haven’t asked…

Where do you plan to clear in to the Bahamas? Mayaguana is no longer a port of entry, and I don’t believe Aklins has one either. Or Rum.

You need to reconsider your route so you first land in a place where you can check into the country!

Losing Mayaguana as a port of entry does makes things more complex for west bound and especially for east bound travel.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

If there is nothing but sand on the way in, I'd say give it a shot.....but isolated coral heads here and there would give me pause before I'd consider such a departure

Or.....position your boat as near as dammit to edge of the anchorage for a better chance...

By the time you get the hook up, you may have drifted quite a bit one way or another....GPS is a great tool, but my experience has been that some of the B'mas are not that well charted...ie, the GPS will be right...but the chart is off...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:22   #7

Sailing Harmonie, I had seen something about being able to clear in on line but I don't know anything about the system. Or, I was just planning on waiting until we arrived at Staniel and clearing in there. I plan to be at Staniel for about a month before heading back to Houston. Does anyone know anything about the on line clearance system? Do you think being in Bahamian waters for about a week before clearing in would be an issue?
Old 06-02-2024, 10:25   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380

That would be Click to Clear. You fill it out and pay online, but you still need to stop and physically check with immigration and customs.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:27   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Simply start at Great Inagua and check in there. You can stay in the government basin/harbor for something like $10/day.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

I've come in at the B'mas at some point where there has been no customs clear in facility, ie, Memory Rock in the Abaco's, and didn't clear in till I reached Green Turtle Cay a few days later. Officials seemed good with that. I didn't go ashore anywhere and kept my yellow flag up. Not sure if that is acceptable elsewhere.....
Old 06-02-2024, 11:59   #11

Boat: Beneteau 43

Staniel Cay is not a port of entry. Last time we were there a boat was informed of that over the radio by officials.
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 13:34   #12

The "official" Bahamas web site lists Staniel Cay Dock (by request) as an official port of entry. I guess we could drop south to Great Iguna but I really didn't want to go that far out of the way. Clarence Town Public Dock is also listed as (Upon Request). I wonder what that really means? I'll reach out to Staniel Cay Marina and ask them what they recommend.
Old 06-02-2024, 14:09   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
The "official" Bahamas web site lists Staniel Cay Dock (by request) as an official port of entry. I guess we could drop south to Great Iguna but I really didn't want to go that far out of the way. Clarence Town Public Dock is also listed as (Upon Request). I wonder what that really means? I'll reach out to Staniel Cay Marina and ask them what they recommend.
It means it may be possible and when it is, it will cost you

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 14:20   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

You could stop in at George Town if you are going to Staniel. We have extended our visa here.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 16:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

I vote for George Town, it's not that far from Staniel....and if you are coming from the T&C, you are likely to pass GT anyway...or close to it...

Tags
anchor, Bahamas