Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-05-2020, 08:35   #1

Bahamas: (Exuma Bank) Yellow Bank passage with a 9'4" keel

All

I'm looking for advice for those that have made plenty of passages from Highborne Cay Cut to Providence Channel...heading to Florida with the Salty Dawg group.

I am heading back to the US from the US Virgin Islands and have submitted my Passage Exception request to the local government and had to select Staniel Cay as my one spot to stop and refuel and reprovision (if necessary). I have already checked with Staniel Cay marina so I'm getting with getting in there and out with my draft.

Regarding the passage across the Exuma Bank I have read many post in this forum about needed to do it at high tide and its doable (and studied the charts). Seems the feeling is that there will always be 10' or more if you pick the right route (via Yellow Bank) and time it so the shallowest depth will be passed at high tide.

Any thoughts on this approach - or just head out and go around Eleuthera Island to the east and just 'eat' the extra miles vs taking the risk of not making it through the Exuma Bank.

Appreciate your insights.

-John
JRApplegate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, keel, passage