Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 08:35   #1

Bahamas: (Exuma Bank) Yellow Bank passage with a 9'4" keel

All

I'm looking for advice for those that have made plenty of passages from Highborne Cay Cut to Providence Channel...heading to Florida with the Salty Dawg group.

I am heading back to the US from the US Virgin Islands and have submitted my Passage Exception request to the local government and had to select Staniel Cay as my one spot to stop and refuel and reprovision (if necessary). I have already checked with Staniel Cay marina so I'm getting with getting in there and out with my draft.

Regarding the passage across the Exuma Bank I have read many post in this forum about needed to do it at high tide and its doable (and studied the charts). Seems the feeling is that there will always be 10' or more if you pick the right route (via Yellow Bank) and time it so the shallowest depth will be passed at high tide.

Any thoughts on this approach - or just head out and go around Eleuthera Island to the east and just 'eat' the extra miles vs taking the risk of not making it through the Exuma Bank.

Appreciate your insights.

-John
JRApplegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:02   #2

Re: Bahamas: (Exuma Bank) Yellow Bank passage with a 9'4" keel

Doable, perhaps under favorable conditions.

Wise to do????

9' 4" draft, that is deep for Bahamian waters.

Are you under a truly "essential" time constraint, [Essential with a Capital E, just as such is now defined under Covid 19 protocols, and of course has always been defined for all vessel operation]?

An added issue to timing the tide would be sea state during your passage.

What is your Plan B, Plan C if you find yourself not able to make the passage at optimal timing of the tide? E.g. winds calm, motor malfunctions, current is unfavorable.

Plan for solving the unfavorable factors, not realizing the optimal factors.

The shortest distance between two points is in your case, the sea floor and your keel, not between your passage origination and destination in Florida.

So the question really could be stated as to whether to take the long way or a wrong way?

Fortunately the first named storm of the season, Arthur started north and is tracking north from your sojourn, but is indicative of the very favorable conditions for early and active storm season.

Godspeed on your journey.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:28   #3

I don't remember Exuma bank ever being an issue of less than 10 ft, but I would worry about getting through the Staniel Cay area onto the bank, especially getting from inside the cut onto the bank near the islands there.. Seems it gets pretty shallow on the bank side of many of those cuts.... until you actually get out on the bank.
I guess I've been through the area 4 or 5 times, some with 6'-5" draft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can’t get from Staniel onto the bank with that draft, to get to the Marina you will have to come in from the Ocean side and you will have plenty of depth. And of course leave that way too.
I would go around Eluthera and if you do that there is no need to go onto the bank, you could do it going up the NW passage, but I don’t see any need in taking the risk myself.
I’d go up the Northwest Providence Channel.
On edit, remember if you go aground at high tide it may be tough to get off, and also you need think about wave height in factoring in how much water you need, and going aground in three ft waves could be real bad. The waves on the bank can easily get three ft, not as big as open Ocean of course but three ft isn’t uncommon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED4C3859-B707-4BD4-BBCF-33CDE57F51B9.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	215284   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E339F93-9618-4DD6-B529-FE261BDFC55D.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	495.6 KB
ID:	215285  

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

It can be done without going around to Eluthera. Approach Staniel from the Ocean side. Stop at Staniel as needed. As previously mentioned, you can't get on the bank from Staniel with your draft. So, go back out to the Ocean and go to Conch Cut between Compass and and Cambridge Cays. There is more than enough depth to easily make it. From there, plot a course to the west side of the bank and head for the west side of New Providence. This will take you well south of both the White and Yellow banks. I have taken this route many times, and always saw about 20' for the entire route. The C-Map and Aqua Map charts are accurate, the others less so.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could do it by going back out and come back in in “Wide opening” by the park, but Yellow bank would worry me too much, you should be able to sail though, but may get a coral head.

There are other cuts beside wide opening, but it’s real easy and so wide current isn’t usually an issue and is for me safe at night, but I only draw 5’ too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08CBE050-F919-4608-84A5-C2781CE58C62.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	215287  
Old 18-05-2020, 10:11   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yellow Bank where you would be going through.
Sorry for all the chart pictures, hope they help though. They are the Explorer Charts.
I went that route a couple of weeks ago with an Amel Super Maramu as a buddy boat and I do not remember the depths, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA86FBAB-5FCC-4DA8-9823-663EE0C2EADC.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	215288  
Old 18-05-2020, 10:18   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
It can be done without going around to Eluthera. Approach Staniel from the Ocean side. Stop at Staniel as needed. As previously mentioned, you can't get on the bank from Staniel with your draft. So, go back out to the Ocean and go to Conch Cut between Compass and and Cambridge Cays. There is more than enough depth to easily make it. From there, plot a course to the west side of the bank and head for the west side of New Providence. This will take you well south of both the White and Yellow banks. I have taken this route many times, and always saw about 20' for the entire route. The C-Map and Aqua Map charts are accurate, the others less so.

Yes you can do that, leave Norman’s Stake and turn left (West) at the vicinity of the orange box and get into deep water and turn North.

Old fort bay on the other side of New Providence is a better anchorage than West Bay in my opinion but neither is protected from N or NW winds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	49B8CABA-9968-4DED-9EE3-C7327F4B6A3D.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	215293  
Old 18-05-2020, 10:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Besides the relatively shallow water...you also have to watch out for numerous isolated corral heads on the banks, but they are generally easily seen and easy to avoid, during the day, that is.

I've done this trip many times with a 6'6" draft and know several others that routinely do this trip with a deeper draft, but admittedly, not 9'6".

A draft close to 10' is probably quite doable, in my opinion, but possibly pushing your luck if on the wrong tide, but I think it can be done.....the tidal difference on the banks is large enuff to make a difference so you would have to keep your eye on that.
Consult the Exuma tidal tables for the month you are planning to do this and pick the best day, considering your boat speed and the length of time you may be on the banks..
While wind generated waves on the bank are not big, they can be big enough to be a nuisance, especially so, if you find yourself anchoring on the banks for the night...bump....bump....bump.....

There are also areas that have an undulating bottom on the banks as a result from all the tidal bores..which will not be noted on any charts..and these can change....

If you do run aground....on an unexpected undulating bottom....as I have done....you'll likely hit sand...so getting off, while a pain in the butt, is only harmful to your ego more than anything else.

As others here have mentioned there are several cuts thru' the Exuma chain that would allow you access to the banks.

But, having said all that, with your draft, I would probably err on the cautious side and opt for going the outside route, though longer, it would be less stressful and you could sail at night as well and probably beat anyone that opted to go thru' the banks.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:45   #10
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

How about decca channel to the tongue of the ocean....
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
This is the approximate route.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200518-145729.jpeg
Views:	592
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	215314
Old 18-05-2020, 12:25   #12

Wow. What great support. I really appreciate it. Looks like the it is possible via the Conch Cut and head over to deeper waters then head northwest....awesome work on the WP and lines. I will let everyone know how it goes next week.

-John
JRApplegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 22:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

....if you have access to google map or the windy map, you can clearly see the satellite view of the above route and the numerous sand bores....
..I was trying to attach the satellite view of the above location and route...but was not successful, perhaps others on this thread can do it.
Old 19-05-2020, 05:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
....if you have access to google map or the windy map, you can clearly see the satellite view of the above route and the numerous sand bores....
..I was trying to attach the satellite view of the above location and route...but was not successful, perhaps others on this thread can do it.
As of 2 months ago, the route was 20'+ in almost all areas. The few shallower portions were 15'-16' at low tide. A few small deep outcroppings, no coral heads.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200519-081053.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	215349
Old 19-05-2020, 05:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

...I'm trying to wrap my head around a 9'6" draft ???

Tags
Bahamas, keel, passage