Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 12:15   #31

Boat: Bavaria 37
Re: Wintering in Greece

Hi Buena Vista ...
You have a very beautiful power boat indeed... Is it really as much a problem for you to pay a tax in Greece ? You know : that's a country with a huge economic crisis and where a lot of people are suffering of this crisis..
Your blog is vey interesting :
Home: Buena Vista Buena Vista*- - Selene 59...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:38   #32

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

jacques2 slight diversion from the subject the greek economy is in the state it is in because of various reasons but one of the biggest reasons it is in the state that it is in that a lot of greek people have avoided paying vat and income taxes and greek govt figures released on 24/3/11 showed that if these taxes had been paid there debt would be wiped out but you will find now a lot of the so called big "charter boat" owners have traded there greek flag for a malta flagged vessel for one reason only and buena vista would not have to pay the figures that have been bandied about in this thread as an aussie who has been based in greece for past 17 yrs i know
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 14:09   #33

Is that a reason not to pay a tax when you are a stranger in a country which welcomes you ? If one day - and I would really like it - I sail in Australia I will pay the taxes asked for Australia to the foreigners. Even if some Australian people don't pay their own taxes. If I cannot pay I will sail elsewhere...
Anyway money is one thing, laws another one and ethic another one....
Old 10-04-2011, 16:39   #34

Boat: Selene 59

Jacques2,
You seemed to have taken this thread off topic, but since you have, I will respond. You comment on my boat and ask "is it a problem for you to pay a tax in Greece" .... answer NO of course not. If I go to Greece, I will happily pay the Reciprocal Tax, Fuel Tax, VAT, Transit Log etc etc as I would in any other country. Is it a problem to pay an additional tax that amounts to 3 times the cost of the marina accomodation over winter (which in turn includes 23% VAT), simply to leave my boat there over winter .... answer YES most definitely it is.

You also seem to imply that because I have "a very beautiful power boat" I must be a fat cat that should throw money at Governments who have not managed their economy, therefore let me put the record straight. I am 66 years old and after a lifetime of education, hard work and sailing both competitively and for pleasure, I am now retired and choose to spend what money I have in extending my boating experience using power.

I also disagree that this is an ethics issue as you imply, it is not, it is poorly thought out and poorly drafted legislation that I am sure has not come out as intended, indicated by the fact that the Chief of Port Police has issued a direction to Port Police to stop collecting the tax until further notice.
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 15:15   #35

Buena Vista,

Sorry I did not want to be rude or aggressive ... And you are right, ethic is not the subject here... And of course you spend your money as you like it...
Going back to the subject : TAXES :

The fact is that in Greece, as in France, there are many taxes. We're used to ! And many people are thinking that the more you earn money the more you must have to pay taxes… Others are thinking diferrently of course…

But there are taxes quite everybody has to pay (for their car mainly) . An example: 1 liter of gas oil has 60% taxes. 1 liter = 1.50 €.
If in my post I made reference to the type of boat is yours, it is after a quick calculation. Suppose that your tanks are 7500 liters, the price to get full will be something like 11 250 € (16 000 USD). So when you will be in Greece, you will have to pay something like 7000 € of taxes to the Greek Government to get your tanks full !
Better to know that...
Old 11-04-2011, 17:33   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The Greeks are fully entitled to bring in any wealth taxes that they like. And if you fall into the category makes you liable for them. Then you pay it. Simple.

Any other discussion is political and outside the rules of CF.

Let's stick to the point

Dave
Old 26-07-2013, 09:01   #37

Hi

I want to winter my 14.7 m yacht in the Ionic sea from Aug 2013 to 2014.
Prefferably hard stand.

Any suggestions..?

Best regards
Håkan
Hakan Amnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 12:04   #38

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

Preveza - many choices...
3 marinas opposite the town , one opposite the police station and another round the corner in the lagoon - probably more I dont know about - Aktio was the cheapest I found

kris
Old 27-07-2013, 03:45   #39

Hi Kris

Thanks' for the info I will check them up.

Best regards
Håkan
Hakan Amnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 13:21   #40
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I would suggest Messolonghi Marina. They are a great location if leaving the boat on the hard.

Messolonghi Marina - Home
Old 30-07-2013, 23:28   #41

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

Hi Pallarran - thats a very good looking boat you have on the hard - makes a good shelter for the vehicles too - got a fresh quote yesterday - Mesalonghi still more expensive - but a pretty little town. Did you get a "special deal" ? when I spoke to the lady , she seemed to thing a "small" reduction was possible - and then said the quote excluded VAT

when you gonna wet your hulls ?

Kris - currently en-route to Aegean - will check out Kos on the way...
Old 31-07-2013, 01:00   #42

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

Sousaki, near Corinth Canal has a boat yard with travel lift. Winter hard-standing for about 140 E per month. No electicity, no water.
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 02:59   #43

I just talked to a german couple here in Aorgostoli, Kefalonia. They are for 6 month here every year and leave their boat in the marina of Argostoli when they are not here. (hard stand). This marina is not in full operation but they have a big crane, prices seem to be very low and safety is no big issue, they said.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 03:55   #44
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
Hi Pallarran - thats a very good looking boat you have on the hard - makes a good shelter for the vehicles too - got a fresh quote yesterday - Mesalonghi still more expensive - but a pretty little town. Did you get a "special deal" ? when I spoke to the lady , she seemed to thing a "small" reduction was possible - and then said the quote excluded VAT

when you gonna wet your hulls ?

Kris - currently en-route to Aegean - will check out Kos on the way...
Thanks. The parking garage is a bonus for the wintering liveaboards. We actually just hauled Palarran out after 7 weeks in the Adriatic. She won't be launched again until May of next year.

I can't explain the differences we are getting in price except maybe because of your beam you can be hauled at more yards. There are really only 4 or 5 marinas in Greece that can haul my boat, all of which have been twice the price of Messolonghi. We were very happy with the staff at Messolonghi this year. They are doing a great job of improving the yard and taking care of the boats. We also really like the town.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53   #45

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Thanks. The parking garage is a bonus for the wintering liveaboards. We actually just hauled Palarran out after 7 weeks in the Adriatic. She won't be launched again until May of next year.

I can't explain the differences we are getting in price except maybe because of your beam you can be hauled at more yards. There are really only 4 or 5 marinas in Greece that can haul my boat, all of which have been twice the price of Messolonghi. We were very happy with the staff at Messolonghi this year. They are doing a great job of improving the yard and taking care of the boats. We also really like the town.
Hi Palarran

Can you give me some guidance on level of service there ie i hear alot has been planned there but what is actually there right now in terms of boat services? we are working our way towards turkey right now (in corfu at present) but seems there are a few cheaper options in greece these days...
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece