Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 15:49   #16

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Satellite DSL for Cruisers in the Med

And this on the one day I forgot to stock up on

Thanks, Murphy
Old 11-01-2016, 16:28   #17

Wow, that escalated fast!
DMH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:48   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi MIke View Post
I'll ask INFORMED people
You have.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 17:43   #19

I'm so confused....... but just because this thread was started by someone with less than Stella manners. Please continue with the advise as I and I'm sure others would like to be informed about Internet options while sailing the med.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 18:27   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

To the previous poster SimonV, (The OP can go whistle)

The question was wrongly posed. There is no DSL over sat. There is no DSL in the EU, its called ADSL, because it is Asymmetrical, ie the UL/DL ratios differ.

If he meant Satellite Broadband, then let him go that route and waste his money.

The best internet access in the Med is by 4G or 3G HSPA/HSUPA etc ie wireless GSM.

The word BEST in the above sentence refers to ease of use and per megabyte and set up costs. With a cell phone antenna amplifier you can get 20 miles offshore, and you are not really going to be doing work while making passages.

You must look at what frequencies the providers use in the countries you will be transiting. In Spain, Germany, France, there is a company called SIMYO and ALL their hardware is unlocked, ie you can use it on any carrier. Look at this WiFi/GSM Router Telefonos libres | Moviles baratos | Simyo

Look for the frequencies here GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Its easy, just try not to sign any contracts and go prepaid as much as you can....
Old 11-01-2016, 19:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
To the previous poster SimonV, (The OP can go whistle)

The question was wrongly posed. There is no DSL over sat. There is no DSL in the EU, its called ADSL, because it is Asymmetrical, ie the UL/DL ratios differ.

If he meant Satellite Broadband, then let him go that route and waste his money.

The best internet access in the Med is by 4G or 3G HSPA/HSUPA etc ie wireless GSM.

The word BEST in the above sentence refers to ease of use and per megabyte and set up costs. With a cell phone antenna amplifier you can get 20 miles offshore, and you are not really going to be doing work while making passages.

You must look at what frequencies the providers use in the countries you will be transiting. In Spain, Germany, France, there is a company called SIMYO and ALL their hardware is unlocked, ie you can use it on any carrier. Look at this WiFi/GSM Router Telefonos libres | Moviles baratos | Simyo

Look for the frequencies here GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Its easy, just try not to sign any contracts and go prepaid as much as you can....

To add to the above, I prefer to advise people to get a SIM card for a cell phone, rather than pay for a cell and a wifi hotspot. My reasoning is you can tether the phone to your tablet or laptop for internet access as well as use it as a phone, instead of paying for 2 SIM cards and devices.

I have a Samsung Note II (unlocked international model), and it's large enough that I can do 99% of my internet stuff on it without needing my laptop or tablet, but if I'm doing something that really needs the screen real estate, I can easily tether it via wifi or USB tether.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:24   #22

WOW.. MIke you have a very bad approach.... you need to dial it back and be a bit more humble...Remember... you were asking for help? People on this forum are very helpful and supportive... but you have ticked off two of the most helpful..Lizzie and Mark lickity split.

Give it some thought.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:29   #23

Boat: Bristol 29

I think we should turn this an an anchor and gun thread.

Mike, what kind of anchor are you planning on using with that DSL?
Boy, that's pretty stupid!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:34   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Here's my short summary of internet access methods for boats (so wired options ignored), simplified version for those that don't understand the terminology (not to mention any names )

1. Wifi. Cheap, sometimes free. Can be high speed with a good connection. Range max 4-5 miles from marina, coffee shop or other source with proper equipment.

2. Cell based, 3G-4G. Inexpensive. High speed with a good connection. Max Range, 10-20 miles from cell tower with booster system.

3. HF Radio (HAM, SSB). Cheap. Low speed. Global range.

4. Satellite. EXPENSIVE to VERY EXPENSIVE depending on speed and data. Global Range.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 20:21   #25

I'll just add that, in my experience, without an external booster, I rarely can get 3G/4G coverage with my cell phone at 3-5 miles from shore. In most cases, the antennas seem not to be aimed out to sea. Areas near fishing ports may be an exception, as they seem to have better coverage.

I suspect it's possible to put an antenna at the top of the mast, use a booster, and get reasonably good 3G/4G coverage. Probably not legal though.
Old 11-01-2016, 20:46   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I'll just add that, in my experience, without an external booster, I rarely can get 3G/4G coverage with my cell phone at 3-5 miles from shore
That was my experience up the US east coast. About 5 miles no connection. Odd thing, everyone on the boat showed 4-5 bars on their phones, two Verizon and one ATT, but could not connect.

Either the receiving antennas on the cell towers were focused closer to shore or perhaps the 1/4-1/8 Watt transmitters in the phones just didn't have the power to reach that far. Would be interesting to get an opinion on this from a cell expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I suspect it's possible to put an antenna at the top of the mast, use a booster, and get reasonably good 3G/4G coverage. Probably not legal though.

Not sure about that but they are sold openly in the states.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 20:49   #27

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

inmarsat got their constellation up and running at the end of the year.

sorry, cant figure out how to make it clickable:

Inmarsat Achieves Global Coverage with New High Speed Wireless Network - gCaptain
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 21:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
I think we should turn this an an anchor and gun thread.

Mike, what kind of anchor are you planning on using with that DSL?
Boy, that's pretty stupid!
Did someone mention guns :-)

What a strange thread. Things must be pretty high anxiety in Europe these days.

Anyway the most obvious solution is bring your house phone on board connected to 3,000 Mile of telephone wire. You can lay your own ADSL seabed network while your sailing. As for the satellite Internet connection you can sign up for satellite Internet abd pay about $2,500 a month. I think that's the cheap plan.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:43   #29

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

At the risk of being accused of thread hijack (ok it is - but only a bit), we'll be sailing in the carribean and the US/canada for a couple of years starting next christmas (coming over with the ARC).

So - what do we do? My european 3/4G sim cards will work in the US and probably the carribean (ouch the $$$$$$).

Do any of the american phone companies offer something that can be used both in the carribean and the US/canada?

Here I'm thinking about installing a wifi hotspot on the boat - using 1 sim card to power the entire boat and (If I can figure it out) also using that for my phone when I'm on the boat.

I'm not a tech nerd so please have a bit of sympathy. If you're going to get technical - explain it so a dummy like me can understand it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:26   #30

Hi Carsten,

you should be fine buying SIM cards locally ...

LIME (Mobile, Internet, TV and Home Phone Service | LIME International) down in Grenada (works on a lot of other islands up north too)

BTC (https://www.btcbahamas.com) Bahamas

t-mobile was my choice in the US.

Not sure on the French Islands and BVIs, others here will have the info.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, satellite