Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 16:27   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR
Greek Island Cruising

Seeking advice for itinerary and watch outs for cruising Greek islands.

We plan to fly to Athens and start sailing (bareboat) Sept 14.
One week charter. We like to sail and the go into the local towns and go where the natives go.

Major question... We like rum, what is the appropriate drink for Greece?

What is the recommended Greek wine that is close to a Pinot Noir?

We are considering a one way sail . Costs about $500 extra , but we think we might see more rather than fight a head wind back to Athens

All suggestions appreciated.

Doug Smith
Tartan 3500 owner.
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37   #2

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: Greek island cruising

Firstly, take a look at the World Cruising & Sailing Wiki (see tab at the top of this page) to help you plan an itinerary. With just a week, you're best to stay in the Saronic Gulf, maybe visiting Aegina, Angistri, Poros and possibly even Hydra, which is unique and won't be quite so busy in September. If you're into antiquities, you could alternatively head to Epidavros on the south coast of the Gulf and visit the famous Hellenic theatre inland from there.

Whatever you do, read up all you can on anchor mooring Med-style, as you'll be doing a lot of it and if you've never done it before a little preparation pays dividends.

The main Greek firewater is ouzo (if you like Pernod and similar anise-flavoured drinks you'll love it), raki and tsipouro (if you like grappa, again you'll love it). If you're into brandies, Metaxa is nice, if somewhat too caramel-flavoured for some tastes, and the closest you'll find to local rum.

As for wine, Katogi Averoff is one of the best red wines you're likely to find widely available, though anything bottled by Boutari, one of Greece's largest wineries, is usually reliable.

I'd save your $500 one-way charge and not be too ambitious. You can get back to Athens from anywhere in the Gulf within a day - just watch the forecast so you're not caught downwind with a heavy beat back (especially if you head round the corner to Hydra).

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44   #3

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

We did a 3-week charter out of Athens a few years ago, and visited many of the Cyclades Islands. We had to return to Athens, so we only had a couple more southbound days that you will with a one-way charter. If you decide on a one-way, you may be able to be a bit more ambitious and get down to these wonderful islands. As another poster said, get used to Med-mooring, but once moored, expect a taverna across the street with wonderful food and many choices of things to drink. It is easy to get back to Athens on the Greek ferry system. Your charter company will have some suggested itineraries - talk to them about options.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:32   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

One week isn't very long, I'd pay the $500.

Get two liters of Havana Club duty free when you fly in - per person. Coke is available everywhere. I love the Havana Club - yum yum. Greek beer is really good IMO. Enjoy.
Old 11-05-2013, 23:32   #5

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

Havana rum available most places approx 22 eu / 750 bottle , or bacardi if you prefer
They dont have cuba hang-ups here

practice mooring astern in spar creek - it will be about the same here, except more shouting :-)

the mid to late season has everybodies anchor churning up the mud - holding is poor - but the weather can be mild and not a problem... takes getting used to
Old 12-05-2013, 14:57   #6

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
Havana rum available most places approx 22 eu / 750 bottle , or bacardi if you prefer
They dont have cuba hang-ups here
Bacardi is made in Cuba? Only Bacardi rum factory I am familiar with is in Puerto Rico.

"Bacardi family and Company left Cuba after the Castro regime confiscated the Company’s Cuban assets on 15 October 1960"
"Bacardi drinks are not found in Cuba today. The main brand of rum in Cuba is Havana Club, the company it nationalized during the revolution. Bacardi later bought the brand from the original owners, the Arechabala family. The Cuban government, in partnership with French company Pernod Ricard, sells its Havana Club products internationally, except for the United States and its territories. Bacardi created Havana Club rum based on the original recipe from the Arechabala family, manufactures it in Puerto Rico, and sells it in Florida. Bacardi continues to fight a war in the courts attempting to legalize their own Havana Club trademark outside of the United States.[16] Drinks now made in the former Cuban Bacardi distillery are sold in Cuba under the name Caney."
Bacardi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 00:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAnnapolis View Post
One week charter. We like to sail and the go into the local towns and go where the natives go.
This is charter boat territory, with relatively few "locals" sailing except in rather large motor vessels. However, there are a lot of good places to visit, with plenty of local colour. After the US, the thing you will most notice about Greece is dis-organisation. But the place works well, in spite of this.
Major question... We like rum, what is the appropriate drink for Greece?[/quote] If you want a spirit for mixing cocktails, probably the local brandy. Metaxa is one brand of this - 3 stars for cheap, 5 stars for a bit of quality, 7 stars for a rather fine experience.

If you're looking for a shot, Ouzo is an aniseed flavoured high alcohol clear liquid which goes milky white when diluted with water or poured over ice. It'll clear your sinuses . . .
Quote:
Probably dry red wine made from the Agioritiko grape, but you'll need to pay around €7 or more a bottle to hit quality. Snag - small retailers don't know how to store the stuff, so there's a good chance it will have been heat treated. Only buy from larger supermarkets . . .

The cartons of white wine are often much better value; and in tavernas you can usually buy it by the half litre in a jug with your meal for €3 to €4. The owner's home brew is another matter. He'll proudly bring it to your table, yeastily fizzing as the last drop of alcohol is squeezed from it. Your experience will be very different from any previous wine experiences you've had. May be brilliant - or maybe make your hair stand on end. But, hey, at €2.50 per half litre, who cares!

Quote:
We are considering a one way sail . Costs about $500 extra , but we think we might see more rather than fight a head wind back to Athens
If you go west, visiting Poros, Spetsai, Navplion, Astros, Leonidhion (see the link above, and go for the blue dots on the maps) , you'll have more than you can handle in a week, and as often as not it'll be a tailwind or reach to take you home. And en route back, you can visit places you missed when outbound. You see, afternoon southerlies are common down the East Peloponnese.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:15   #8

Doug, what marina are you sailing from?? I start my bareboat charter from Kalamaki also on the 14 of Sep. going to Saronic Islands. Maybe I will see you there. I picked up "West Aegean" book by Heikell. It got very detail description of almost all ports and anchorage in the area.

Quote:
Seeking advice for itinerary and watch outs for cruising Greek islands.

Major question... We like rum, what is the appropriate drink for Greece?

All suggestions appreciated.

Doug Smith
Tartan 3500 owner.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 04:41   #9

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR

we are sailing out of Kalamaki on Sept 21 (we changed to the later departure date - a lot of boats were already booked for the week starting 9/14.) We plan to sail in the Saronic gulf. we have a 409 beneteau from Kariacoulis. What charter company are you using?
tks
Doug
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 07:07   #10

I guess I am glad now that we booked in advance
We are starting on the 14 but go for 2 weeks (until 28): so maybe will see you somewhere in Saronic Gulf. We went thought the broker "Apollonia Charters", so I don't recall actual charter company (I think it is something small). We will be on Bavaria 39 "Magellan". Give us a shout if you see us on the water

Quote:
we are sailing out of Kalamaki on Sept 21 (we changed to the later departure date - a lot of boats were already booked for the week starting 9/14.) We plan to sail in the Saronic gulf. we have a 409 beneteau from Kariacoulis. What charter company are you using?
tks
Doug
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 06:25   #11

Boat: 1988 Ericson 34

Having just returned from a short charter in the Cyclades, my main advice is: watch your navigation, and don't expect the same standard for marks and buoys as you have sailing out of Annapolis. I almost ran our boat onto a giant unmarked rock, just barely awash and about one kilometer offshore. It was on the chart, sure, but I can't understand why they couldn't drill a hole in the thing and stick a day marker on it (there are hardly any tides in the Med). Speaking of charts, the ones from Imray lack a lot of detail.

Mooring stern-to a quay is tricky, especially if you have to put out the anchor and if there is a cross wind. Go slow and watch your depth, especially if there is a chance of your rudder scraping the bottom right next to the dock.

You won't find any local red wines that are close to an American (or even European) Pinot Noir. You'll want to stick with the white, and think of it more as a beverage that a wine.

The food is inexpensive and often excellent (especially fried squid, grilled sardines and octopus). The feta and youghurt are delicious. But the fare is monotonous, as it tends to be all around the Med.

Don't hesitate to take a taxi into some of the beautiful inland villages and historical monuments. And be nice to the Greeks - they are going through a very difficult period.
Teranodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 06:38   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teranodon View Post

The food is inexpensive and often excellent (especially fried squid, grilled sardines and octopus). The feta and youghurt are delicious. But the fare is monotonous, as it tends to be all around the Med.
You are seriously kidding me, with that statement , there isn't a culinary area as good ( or anywhere near it ) for food anywhere else on the planet.

Dave
Old 15-06-2013, 22:37   #13

We are in the Ionian and the food markets can be excellent - the fish markets are fascinating , and the variations in the the 3 or 4 main supermarkets amazing.
Eating out is certainly not boring (after 6 months) but we stay away from the psuedo western foods and eat mainly med dishes - especially ordering 5 or 6 starters as Mezze.
I do find the fresh fruit desert good , but the prepared deserts like Baklava can be same-old-same-old (and I am keen to try and find a "better" one)
My budget here is less than half what I used in Annapolis and looking for good red wine can be fun - some of the boxed 1 litre red I found was good , but only bought 2 and now cant find it again.... Most of the tavernas have house red which is "OK"
Treat it like an adventure and leave your taste-buds and expectations in good-old-USA - it will give you wonderful things to talk about afterwards.

PS Tipping !!!!!! this is Europe ! 20 % is only done for EXCEPTIONAL service , we normally tip 10% and if the service is poor , I say so and leave no tip ! (after being on the receiving end - I understand it from both sides)

Enjoy
Old 16-06-2013, 02:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post

PS Tipping !!!!!! this is Europe ! 20 % is only done for EXCEPTIONAL service , we normally tip 10% and if the service is poor , I say so and leave no tip ! (after being on the receiving end - I understand it from both sides)
Americans and Brits don't understand mainland Europe's pricing for services.

Prices are inclusive of service and taxes. It says so on the bills and menus. And that's how the locals play it. The price you see is the price you pay.

Sometimes restaurants and bars tip you, by discounting your bill for being a regular customer, or add an extra dish or drink free of charge.

And sometimes, as a customer, you may hand over €50 for a €48 bill and not bother to wait for the change.

Come on, wake up guys!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 04:51   #15

Re: Greek Island Cruising

Thanks for the heads up JIM - I seldom eat ashore , and the bill is normally "light" and I find that most of the laksadaisical attitude does not warrant a tip - but I HAVE had exceptional service where the waiter has been a REAL pleasure and that I have rewarded appropriately , and on returning seen the rewards re-paid ....
But in principle - I agree whole-heartedly ....

Kris

Tags
cruising