Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 00:25   #1

Boat: Selene 59
A Place to Stay - Greek Islands

We will be travelling through the Greek Islands this summer, Corinth to Marmaris and I am looking for some advice on a suitable place to stay for a week while we have some visitors mid June.

Obviously a ferry stop somewhere close by so they can get in and out from Athens, somewhere fairly protected as these are not hardened sailors and something to do .... tavern(s), scenary, beach etc. It's a family with two teenage children.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. We don't mind which island as long as it is not too far off our path and it is protected.

Cheers
Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:56   #2

Boat: Bavaria 37
Re: A place to stay - Greek Islands

It depends on where you intend to be at that period of mid June and how you intend to sail : through Cyclades (right Eastward) or slowly and clocwise by the North (= Sporades islands) ... Both are very attractive !
You will have different choices !
Depends also if you like archeological sites or not... Tell us ...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:55   #3

Everywhere in the greek islands is within ferry distance of Athens or should we say Pireaus. As Jaques says,it all depends where you will have reached by Mid June,and if you are planning to stay in one place with them for the week(as you seem to suggest),or cruise around a bit.
The Islands of Aegina ...40 minutes from Pireaus...and Poros....1 1/2 hours ,are both have plenty of local atmosphere and lots of tavernas etc. However they are very busy in summer.
There are many nicer places further afield.

More info. Needed!!!
fishtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

kastelhorizo,across the bay from kas in turkey,you can tie stern too or anchor in the well protected harbour.
daily flights from athens,so no ferry nightmares.
is off the reglar tourist route so very quite even in summer.
if they need onshore accom reccomend these english speaking people,or look at the web site on facebook,lots of nice photos.
Fig Jam Cottage - Home
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 14:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
It depends on where you intend to be at that period of mid June and how you intend to sail : through Cyclades (right Eastward) or slowly and clocwise by the North (= Sporades islands) ... Both are very attractive !
You will have different choices !
Depends also if you like archeological sites or not... Tell us ...
Having never done this trip before, I had intended a more or less rhumb line through the Cyclades and would expect to be around the Naxos/Paros area, but quite happy to take another route or be in another area entirely if there is somewhere more suitable.

Other information; yes we like archeological sites, whether we cruise or stay put is weather dependant as these guys can probably get sick in the bath, so the option of cruising or staying put in a blow or some sheltered cruising is good. They won't expect to go far. We don't like crowds but some facilities would be good so we can eat ashore, enjoy a typical Greek island/fishing village environment, take some walks, enjoy some views, explore some history etc.

Hope the additional information helps uncover that magical spot(s) ....

Cheers
Brownie
Old 26-03-2012, 14:35   #6

Naxos / Paros area. I would highly recommend.

Naxos town has a fine harbour, mostly well sheltered and the town is very lively and interesting and not too touristy. The island is large enough to spend a few days exploring and there are several villages around. Regular ferries daily.

Paros we like very much. a choice of the main town..Paroikia which is the main town and ferry port, is busy and attractive. Great bakeries!
Or
Naousa on the north of the island is smaller and very Greek again a good harbour and plenty of tavernas.

I would reckon that this area would suit your needs perfectly as it is well served by large ferries and also fast cat ferries from the Athens area.

A word of caution though.. as you will be aware,the city of Athens has become a bit of a no go zone because of the continuing civil unrest and if your friends are planning an overnight stop between the airport and ferry,they should be verywary where they get a hotel. Many hotels have closed in the city and it might be better to stay near the airport . I can recommend a good family hotel close by if you like (I have no connection to it apart from being a regular guest!!!) Good luck.
Old 26-03-2012, 14:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
kastelhorizo,across the bay from kas in turkey,you can tie stern too or anchor in the well protected harbour.
daily flights from athens,so no ferry nightmares.
is off the reglar tourist route so very quite even in summer.
if they need onshore accom reccomend these english speaking people,or look at the web site on facebook,lots of nice photos.
Fig Jam Cottage - Home

A very pleasant place,but well off the intended route don't you think?

I didn't know that it has direct flights from Athens.
Old 27-03-2012, 10:54   #8

Hi !
I agree with the idea of Naxos. It is a big and wonderful island with diverse landscapes (In May we like hiking there !) . If you rent a car you'll see the different coasts and it is worth it. Naxos is connected by air or sea with a lot of destinations.
Moreover Naxos is connected by boats with Delos and Delos is, with Delphes, one of the most interesting archeological site in Greece (to my opinion). Naxos is very near from Naoussa on Paros island, and everybody loves the small fishing port of Naoussa !
Two years ago we spent one week in Naxos, last years 4 days and we continue to love it.
It will be a very attractive and convenient choice.

But, if you have time to sail to Turkey, there is another choice I wrote about : Sporades islands. When we sailed from Corsica to Turkey 6 years ago, we did this trip by Kalkis bridge and visited most of the Sporades till Thassos (the northern Greek island in Aegean see) and then south (with the wind in the good way - northerlies - to Kusadasi. We did it again 3 years ago (I mean a "circle" from Kusadasi to Kusadasi where Metis is wintering...If you think you will visit Cyclades later, it is a wonderful sail trip, less touristic, more authentic, more green, aso...
Old 29-03-2012, 05:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
Hi !
I agree with the idea of Naxos. It is a big and wonderful island with diverse landscapes..
Looks like Naxos is the place, it is about where we wanted to be anyway and having an airport available is an extra bonus. Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers
Brownie
Old 30-03-2012, 09:34   #10

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

naxos yes but and but the marina fills up very quickly there with charter yachts they all seem to do a mad dash if you go there then just allow a couple of days in case you cant get into the marina but go and anchor in the what i call the swimming pool right next to ferry it is safe in there. blue star ferries run two a day departing from athens at 07.35 arriving 13.00 or 17.30 arriving 23.00 hr or catch high speed ferry at 7.30 arrive 11,30 or another alternitive is to go to syros and moor up in finikas which is on the other side of the islan to main port and they have a good slow ferry and high speed ferry service as well
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 09:35   #11

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

oh only two flights a day from athens to naxos 79 euros each way but book well in advance
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50   #12

Re: A Place to Stay - Greek Islands

I'm planning a trip to the Cyclades also for next summer. I am told the winds can be a little tricky in the spring and fall. What are you sailing?
Neongalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18   #13

I have found that the wind tends to be more of a problem from mid June onwards,being at its most problematic July- August and tapering off from early September .
The worst that generally happens is that you get stuck in harbour for several days till the wind slackens.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24   #14

Have you got any good protected anchorages to suggest for August and September?
Neongalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29   #15

The "Greek water pilot" (Imray) gives a lot of anchorages and information for each island and spot. You need it.

Tags
greek islands