Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 09:07   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Greece votes "NO" - impact on cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Wearing helmets on MC is also mandatory, look how well that law works
It must be a bit like how Italians apparently view traffic lights: "Just a suggestion" .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:13   #62

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This is unlikely to be the main reason why only half the population voted. In Greece you must generally head back to your place of birth to vote. With Greek islands scattered around the entire Aegean, and many people from the islands working on the mainland, it is an onerous task to vote. It is not simply uncertainty that has resulted in half the population not voting.

SWL
That's an interesting fact i wasn't aware of, and I can see how it might lower the participation rate. But on the other hand, it's just as hard for no voters to travel to their birth places as it is for yes voters so it seems to me that the vote results probably fairly accurately echo the mood of the populace.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:15   #63

Quote:
It must be a bit like how Italians apparently view traffic lights: "Just a suggestion" .

SWL
But at least they paid attention to the helmet law (at least from what I've seen in cities and country roads from Rome northwards), even if it did mess up their hairstyle
Old 07-07-2015, 09:16   #64

Quote:
In Greece you must generally head back to your place of birth to vote.
Where have I heard this sort of thing before?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:46   #65

Quote:
This is unlikely to be the main reason why only half the population voted. In Greece you must generally head back to your place of birth to vote. With Greek islands scattered around the entire Aegean, and many people from the islands working on the mainland, it is an onerous task to vote. It is not simply uncertainty that has resulted in half the population not voting.

SWL
Fine but it doesn't change the point. The fact someone didn't vote tells us very little in regards to how they would have voted. NO voters face the same issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:30   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Fine but it doesn't change the point. The fact someone didn't vote tells us very little in regards to how they would have voted. NO voters face the same issue.
That's true. However certain issues appeal more greatly to one side than the other and I believe this vote was very much one of those cases. No supporters are much more motivated to go to vote than the Yes people. I think that the big differences between the polls and the actual vote show this. Perhaps the pollsters should have asked a 2nd question, "will you vote". If they discounted the "no I wont vote" people from the poll, then the polls would have been more accurate
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35   #67

[QUOTE=hoppy;1864243]Wearing helmets on MC is also mandatory, look how well that law works

I think they take up too much room when there are 4-5 people on a scooter
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:42   #68

I'm in total shock this evening.....

On Friday I realised I needed some cables for my Quadcopter if I'm going to successfully film myself sailing this year. I googled and found a couple of hobby stores in Athens. Ones store had what I wanted, listing the items and if they were in stock etc... (never found a Chandlery with a web shop in Greece). So that was the first pleasant shock. Placed order...

Saturday I got a call from the shop saying they did not have the exact items but the same cable but different lengths. They offered me the next size up, same price which was fine for me as I was going to cut them anyway. They promised to ship on Monday. Shocked to be called and sceptical about shipping

Monday rolls up and I get an email about the tracking number. Went to the shipping company site but it was not found yet. Nothing abnormal about that, but I was happy that they seemed to have started the process.

Tuesday 7pm (tonight) I decided for a laugh to check the tracking. I was shocked to read that it was delivered. I remained sceptical however until I got to the marina office and found my envelope :bigg rin:

My guess is that the store is run by young guys who don't have the sit on their arses and expect everything to be handed attitude that the young Greek anarchists have.

Maybe there is hope for the country after all.

I want to write them a thank you mail and suggest that they open an online chandlery
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53   #69

Quote:
That's true. However certain issues appeal more greatly to one side than the other and I believe this vote was very much one of those cases. No supporters are much more motivated to go to vote than the Yes people. I think that the big differences between the polls and the actual vote show this. Perhaps the pollsters should have asked a 2nd question, "will you vote". If they discounted the "no I wont vote" people from the poll, then the polls would have been more accurate
With the banks shut down and the economy in shambles...I seriously doubt there is a large difference in motivation or appeal, just a lot of confusion and disagrement regarding the solution and lot of people didn't vote because they didn't know what solution would solve the problem (likely neither would solve it).

So far no one has suggested a theory that supports a different outcome if more people turned out. The final percentages might change a bit but the vote was overwhelming enough that the result wasn't going to change.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:01   #70

Quote:
I've seen enough elections here in my state and on federal level where preliminary polling data was flat out wrong. And if one realizes that the pollsters themselves are more often than not are driven by their own agenda (and in some cases out and out fraud pre-paid by one side or the other) I view Greece's results as even more of the repudiation of the Germany's push for the German version of EC as the only acceptable model. That and the fact that weak economies of Europe - Greece, Portugal, etc should have never been saddled with euro. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this outcome.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Do not forget that only 1 out of 3 Greeks voted for NO - Simple math 52% of the Greek voters voted and 62% of them voted NO It means that 52%X62%= 33%. Voted NO one out of three. Rest of Greece did not vote NO It is the vast majority of the population who want to stay in EU and Repay the Debt but they are confused from the Communist Government' s and the EU officials' games So they stepped back Quite typical reaction
Simple math. 52% of the Greek voters voted and 38% of them voted YES. It means that 52%X38% = 20%. Voted YES only one out of five. Rest of Greece did not vote YES.

NO wins.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:57   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Greek PM is getting his butt chewed in the meetings right now. I hope he can keep his nerve and serve his country.

Its a hard place to be. Either leave and restart with all the inherent problems plus a hard few years getting back to a debt free footing, or stay in the Euro and have a temporary solution to all the inherent problems and a hard few years getting back to a debt free footing and a lot more debt to repay plus selling off the family valuables.

Either way, the immediate problem is the same. Its a choice of picking the one that ultimately comes with a tube of lube.

The USA is concerned primarily because a free Greece is a loose cannon militarily, plus, the Fed Reserve is involved in the money bowl.

I just will sit back and watch. I never did get the phone call asking what I would do, and if I did, Not sure I know enough of the real issues behind the scene.

I have always disliked picking up a project after someone else has worked on it. The Greek PM has my deepest sympathy.

12 months from now, we will know if our cruising life continues in that area without major changes or not.....

Good luck Greece.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:58   #73

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
or perhaps they are just a little cog in a much bigger machine........

“The Greek people are anarchic and difficult to tame. For this reason we must strike deep into their cultural roots: perhaps then we can force them to conform. I mean, of course, to strike at their language, their religion, their cultural and historical reserves, so that we can neutralize their ability to develop, to distinguish themselves, or to prevail; thereby removing them as an obstacle to our strategically vital plans in the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East.”

– Henry Kissinger 1974
That does not read well in 2015.

I hope the greeks stick it to the Brussels EU muppets and the Euro banks that once again can't manage risk.

Does Greece have a Patreon site?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02   #74

Boat: Morgan 462

Hoppy
You might try to contact Marco thru Marina Gouvia which is nearby. He was excellent for helping us and might be able to help you. He speaks good English and works with all the marine services. Very knowledgeable and efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:44   #75
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
With the banks shut down and the economy in shambles...

Sometimes I think we need to compare Greece to Haiti or Somalia in order to appreciate that it isn't really in "Shambles". I doubt anyone has gone without their cafe freido yet. Here, again, you would never know there was a problem. Scaremongering from the media for sure.

Tags
Greece, cruiser, cruise