Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 14:14   #46

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Greece votes "NO" - impact on cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
....except Russia is broke?
Western politicians' wishful thinking says so. The numbers - not quite.

A Russian naval base in a NATO member state makes no sense. Transit rights for the new gas pipeline via Turkey, on the other hand, can be sold for a decent chunk of money.

A deal like that won't be enough to refinance the Greek sovereign debt, that train has left the station, but may easily keep the government afloat as they regroup after the default.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:52   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Greece votes "NO"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The old end-caps are still on the spreaders. My back out plan with them is to get Z-spars UK to courier them to me.
You could cut & stitch leather caps. We have had them for years since no plastic caps are made large enough.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:54   #48

Boat: csy 37

I also had the problem where no stock caps would fit my spreader tips. So I made some out of PVC plumbing end caps. Been up there maybe eight years now and still ok.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 22:24   #49

Boat: between boats

We are anchored in front of palaran today in Paros as he posted. Last night we went to one of the more expensive restaurants here ( must be good had pics of Sean Connery, George clooney etc eh?)
Place was full and business as usual. Credit card paid no problems and same with the supermarket which was fully stocked.

So far so good and that damn meltemi even seems to be blown out so off to see what the more remote islands are faring.

Main thing is to stay mobile I reckon, keep some folding stuff handy etc. For me this means no winter haul out in Greece and if I need any major work done then I'm out a here but till then hop on in the waters fine!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 23:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Main thing is to stay mobile I reckon, keep some folding stuff handy etc. For me this means no winter haul out in Greece and if I need any major work done then I'm out a here but till then hop on in the waters fine!
If the work consists of labour and parts you can import yourself from within the EU, then there is no reason (at the moment) that it should be any different to the past, i.e. usual level of Greek delays and broken promises.

I think the big issue will be if the foreign owned and run marine services companies decide to bail out of Greece. Given that their customer base is mostly from outside of Greece, they should be ok and if they are smart, they will have their company banking outside of Greece which should make it easier for them to import parts.
Old 06-07-2015, 23:22   #51

I understand that some manufacturers have exclusive distribution agreements within countries and therefore it can be difficult to buy from outside. I think Harken Germany directed us to Harken Greece for the roller purchase because of this

This is an issue that could impact on cruiser who need to replace or upgrade parts.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:31   #52

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

In May I tried to source some spare parts in Greece, but gave up as it seems companies had already significantly reduced what was on stock. I bought them in Germany and my daughters will bring them, but should not have been a problem to express them.
In Thasos last week at some places credit cards were no longer accepted. Now in Limnos, but didn`t try CC yet. Some ATM seem to be empty, but others are okay and we withdrew money on Sunday and Monday. This morning I topped up my internet account through Paypal without any problem.
Restaurants and shops still seem to have normal business.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:20   #53

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
One bit of good news

Greece debt crisis: Finance Minister Varoufakis resigns - BBC News

Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis haκs resigned. This is a strange situation as he was a major voice in pushing the No vote. Normally people resign after they lose.

Perhaps if he resigned in the first place, instead of calling a referendum then maybe everyone might have been better off
Do not forget that only 1 out of 3 Greeks voted for NO - Simple math 52% of the Greek voters voted and 62% of them voted NO It means that 52%X62%= 33%. Voted NO one out of three. Rest of Greece did not vote NO It is the vast majority of the population who want to stay in EU and Repay the Debt but they are confused from the Communist Government' s and the EU officials' games So they stepped back Quite typical reaction
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31   #54

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
this may not be as bad as it seems in the long run. If the Greeks do take up the drachma again that will certainly collapse the economy. But if they do inpload at least they know where and how to start it up again on a different currency.
I'm not saying it will be easy but if the Greeks can get past this idea of spending without limits and actually think about running a modern economy. They just might pull out of this in five years or so better a lot off then they are now. It will take sacrafice and conservative ideas in the beginning though.
And No More Borrowing. Cut cost and look to outside money sources like Shipping, Manufacturers, Businesses, International Banking, Tourism, and cruisers for monetary gains. A better work ethic would be a big help as well.

Just my 2 cents
I think what you wrote is exactly right, especially since you qualified it with an "if ," BUT so far there is absolutely no sign of Greeks getting past the idea of spending without limits or accepting sacrifice or adopting conservative ideas or a better work ethic, and the recent referendum seems to indicate they are still wholeheartedly and enthusiastically rejecting these ideas. So....I think it's going to get pretty ugly over there before the majority of Greeks change their attitude and then that gradually translates into changed actions and that eventually translates into different results. The longer it takes for their attitude to change, the harder it will be to rebuild their economy.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Do not forget that only 1 out of 3 Greeks voted for NO - Simple math 52% of the Greek voters voted and 62% of them voted NO It means that 52%X62%= 33%. Voted NO one out of three. Rest of Greece did not vote NO It is the vast majority of the population who want to stay in EU and Repay the Debt but they are confused from the Communist Government' s and the EU officials' games So they stepped back Quite typical reaction
Good point. The NO crowd were always going to be much more motivated to queue up and vote because they believe the BS and think it will make a difference, whist YES people realise Greece is pretty much F..ked either way. It's a bit like trying to get a better seat to listen to the band plays as the Titanic goes down

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36   #56

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is probably true and I can understand someone who is confused about the issues due to all the propaganda being spouted all around him not taking the time to vote. But if the EU doesn't give them another infusion of cash (looking pretty unlikely right now) it's about to get a LOT less confusing because banks will fail and fortunes will be lost and their economy will get WAY worse than it is now. Maybe then, the issue will become much clearer to those who didn't vote, and a future referendum will have a different result.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:50   #57

Quote:
While I get what you are saying, that is a huge reach to imply that anyone who didn't vote NO, should count as a YES vote.

Just because 48% weren't sure what the best solution was and chose not to vote, doesn't mean they would side with the YES vote given more time and explaination. With a 62% majority, statistically, it's highly unlikely that given a 100% turnout, the end result would have changed.

Reality is YES or NO, Greece was in for a world of hurt after several years of hurt. Things weren't going to all of the sudden turn all rosy, if they voted YES. It's the difference between cutting your own finger off (YES) or having someone else cut it off for you (NO).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:16   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Just because 48% weren't sure what the best solution was and chose not to vote.......
This is unlikely to be the main reason why only half the population voted. In Greece you must generally head back to your place of birth to vote. With Greek islands scattered around the entire Aegean, and many people from the islands working on the mainland, it is an onerous task to vote. It is not simply uncertainty that has resulted in half the population not voting.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Some statistics for voter turnout in Greece:

2015: 63.87%
2014 : 59.97%
2009 : 52.63%
2004 : 63.22%

Oddly, compulsory voting is law in Greece, but this is not enforced. We would get slammed with a fine in Australia for not voting.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oddly, compulsory voting is law in Greece, but this is not enforced. We would get slammed with a fine in Australia for not voting.

SWL
Wearing helmets on MC is also mandatory, look how well that law works

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Greece, cruiser, cruise