Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 13:15   #151

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Maybe because some tits don't require tats.
Sir! Did you just call me a tit? This is outrageous! You must answer on the field of honour—I suggest a cornfield maze at dawn!

I wonder which one of us is more bored. Me because I reply to tats with tits or you who tut tuts my tit/tats...
Old 24-08-2020, 13:40   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Sir! Did you just call me a tit? This is outrageous! You must answer on the field of honour—I suggest a cornfield maze at dawn!

I wonder which one of us is more bored. Me because I reply to tats with tits or you who tut tuts my tit/tats...
Tit for tat, actually is derived from Tip for Tap - mid 16th century.

Okay, I'll show you some tits. Let's see your tats.

Still have a lot of Canadian Geese crossing into Montaña.

But I predict that there will not be many Canadian Snowbird's of the humanistic type come down this winter.

Miss y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tits.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	221905  
Old 24-08-2020, 14:07   #153

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Tit for tat, actually is derived from Tip for Tap - mid 16th century.

Still have a lot of Canadian Geese crossing into Montaña.

But I predict that there will not be many Canadian Snowbird's of the humanistic type come down this winter.

Miss y'all.
Maybe Snow geese???
Old 24-08-2020, 14:20   #154

Boat: Grampian 26

A quick look at the map from the John Hopkins Hospital web site shows you why the border must be kept closed.https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Old 24-08-2020, 14:52   #155

Canada Covid August 23rd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oh Canada Covid.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	221913  
Old 24-08-2020, 15:21   #156

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Yes, a lot of Canadian boats will be stuck in the US for years. I'd guess 4 or 5. I look for them to start going on the market for a nickel on the dollar. Funny thing about circumstance, someones loss is an others gain.
Old 24-08-2020, 15:45   #157

Quote:

If I must (said the landlocked Albertan to the landlocked Montanan on a cruising forum)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dde6fed48ddbf856f7d7987b89fdb28a.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	221914  
Old 24-08-2020, 15:55   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
If I must (said the landlocked Albertan to the landlocked Montanan on a cruising forum)...
Nice, very nice.

I suspect we both enjoy when we get to travel to the ocean from our grand inland places and once again board our saltwater boats. Especially during our long winter months.
Old 24-08-2020, 16:12   #159

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It's going to be a loooooooooooooooooong cold winter in Alberta. I'll be thinking of you with my feet firmly planted in the warm sand.
Old 24-08-2020, 16:57   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's going to be a loooooooooooooooooong cold winter in Alberta. I'll be thinking of you with my feet firmly planted in the warm sand.
With Covid restrictions and risks, my feet may be firmly planted in frozen Montana. Perhaps a beach in Glacier National Park.

As Zac Brown sings it:

. . .
(Come on prop it up by the lake)
With my ass in a lawn chair
Toes in the clay
Not a worry in the world a PBR on the way
Life is good today
Life is good today

What's SUP?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Glacier SUP.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	221916  
Old 24-08-2020, 17:12   #161

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
With Covid restrictions and risks, my feet may be firmly planted in frozen Montana. Perhaps a beach in Glacier National Park.
Cool. We just visited Waterton National Park, partner to Glacier National Park as part of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Glorious place, and even better in the winter!
Old 24-08-2020, 17:35   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cool. We just visited Waterton National Park, partner to Glacier National Park as part of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Glorious place, and even better in the winter!
Waterton is awesome, haven't been there for quite a few years before the fire. Wondering how well it has recovered. Dang near took out the town in 2017.

Did the usual Tea at the Prince of Wales and took a cruise boat ride down to Goat Haunt on the American end of the Upper Waterton lake. Stayed at a lovely inn in Waterton.

Another summer we went up to Banff to Jasper, pretty country.
Old 24-08-2020, 18:07   #163

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Waterton is awesome, haven't been there for quite a few years before the fire. Wondering how well it has recovered. Dang near took out the town in 2017.

Did the usual Tea at the Prince of Wales and took a cruise boat ride down to Goat Haunt on the American end of the Upper Waterton lake. Stayed at a lovely inn in Waterton.
This was my first time back since the fire. It's amazing the size of it, but wondering through some areas it was apparent it wasn't a really hot fire. So the soil wasn't overly damaged. This means things are coming back fast.

The town was saved through the massive fire efforts of the firefighters. Still looks pretty much the same, except for the new visitors' centre which is going up. Gonna be pretty snazzy once it's done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	221919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0510.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	221920  

Name:	IMGA0538.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	221921  
Old 24-08-2020, 18:09   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This was my first time back since the fire. It's amazing the size of it, but wondering through some areas it was apparent it wasn't a really hot fire. So the soil wasn't overly damaged. This means things are coming back fast.

The town was saved through the massive fire efforts of the firefighters. Still looks pretty much the same, except for the new visitors' centre which is going up. Gonna be pretty snazzy once it's done.
Nice! Been years since we've ventured south even though it was my stomping grounds growing up.
Old 24-08-2020, 18:13   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This virus is not going away due to any human actions unfortunately. Once it escaped from the lab or wherever in Wuhan, there was no putting the genie back into the bottle. It is also very possible that due to mutations, there will be a different strain each season, and IF there is a vaccine, the scientists will have to guess which strain it will be, much like the flu. The odds are that they will get it wrong more then they guess correctly. It is possible that it will go away naturally, like another famous coronavirus, SARS.

Mike had two excellent points about the reopening. First, politicians and apparatchiks will use this as much as possible to gain any advantage. It seems to be happening in Canada, and is definitely happening in the U.S. There are also significant financial incentives here in the U.S. as the federal government is paying around $30,000 U.S. for every Wuhan virus death, so unsurprisingly there are many thousands of deaths that are listed as a Wuhan virus death regardless of the actual cause.

Second, until the pain becomes unbearable and the citizenry reacts, things will not change. Concurrent with this, if countries like Sweden, the Netherlands, and others who didn't fully shut down are shown to be over it, opinion in the policy circles may change. Certainly, those who didn't shut down are dong much better economically. There is some evidence that we are killing more with the shutdown that we are saving.

Regardless, I don't see the borders opening much before the end of the year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took a good bit longer. This however may not be an all or nothing game. We are already seeing some travel allowed if the travelers can demonstrate a satisfactory quarantine. As better, faster, and more affordable tests become available, as people realize it has a low mortality rate, and as people realize there are effective treatments with very good results and use them, there may be a gradual lessening of the draconian restrictions.

What’s your citation for your assertion that the federal government is paying $30,000 for CoVid deaths? Are you referring to the payments to hospitals under the CARES act? Quite honestly, no one who dies in an ICU has a bill less than 30K, but the phrasing of your statement implies direct payment to families. Are you alleging insurance fraud that the deaths were not due to CoVid? Some of us on this forum have an allegiance to the truth.

Tags
Canada