Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 07:50   #331

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Northern Europe this Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
. . . What if we worshiped societal contribution? Not just in the occasional award or news article, but truly looked up to folks who contributed? Enough so that we hold them in higher esteem than actors, wealthy folks, or sports figures? Seems that we as a society need some work. We need to be praising the Dr. Faucis and not so much the Kardashans.

Indeed. It requires a different kind of consciousness. Not sure how we get there, though.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 23-04-2020, 13:38   #332

Boat: a sailing boat

We are in Spain NOW and I can guarantee you this: Spain is not handling this well.

Maybe Germany does, maybe some other state does, I cannot say who.

Spain is not handling this well.

My personal view is that the govt here was some 2 weeks late. And then they made some truly horrible mistakes - like sending all students home from Madrid, when Madrid was already on fire.

Also allowing huge numbers of football fans participate in events in Italy and UK when Italy and UK were already contaminated. And then allowing the 8 March parades. arghhhh.

The good news is that the citizens here do follow the rules. We are truly trying. The downside: we will take a huge blow in the economy department.

Bummer.

They say there will be no tourism in Spain this summer nor autumn. Call this a nail in our Spanish coffin.

Still, I would not like to be anywhere else.

Winter come, if any country in the West Indies accept us, we move on to there. Then, if Spain takes us back, we come back to here summer 2021. Then we get vaccinated if we are still around.

b.
Old 23-04-2020, 18:56   #333

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Doctor answers questions on Monday 4/20:
https://kcbsradio.radio.com/articles...vid-19-testing

Death is not the only significant consequences of this infection:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ns/5160552002/

Some interesting curves:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ions-1.4881500

Doctor answers questions on Monday 4/23:
https://kcbsradio.radio.com/articles...ns-about-covid
Old 23-04-2020, 19:13   #334
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Our gym closed voluntarily.

The hotel where I own a condo closed voluntarily.

Several restaurants near me closed their eat-in facilities voluntarily.

Because the demand was WAY down. Some folks are still capable of thinking long term, and taking short term decisions that make sense.

I'd have to bet that some of Sweden's businesses have cut back on their operations, in spite of no government telling them to do so.
That's interesting. What State do you live in? Gym's and in seat dining was closed in mine by order. We have had some hotels close as they literally had zero customers. But some are open.

Well, tomorrow will tell for Michigan. Gov will announce her new Stay orders.
Old 24-04-2020, 03:49   #335

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is a debate in Finland about whether or not the epidemic is moving too slowly in Finland:

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland...-epidemic.html

"Asko Järvinen, a chief physician of infectious diseases at HUS, stated to YLE Thursday that the objective should be to increase the infections among population groups who are unlikely to fall seriously ill – namely, children, young people and young adults.

"Järvinen argued earlier that accelerating the epidemic in a controlled way would shorten its duration and ensure the sufficiency of the testing and health care capacity when the next influenza season begins in the autumn.

. . .

“If you look at why the restrictions were made, it's to make sure there’s enough capacity in health care, especially in critical care. The capacity has now been increased and it seems like it could handle a larger number of patients, if that was to happen,” he elaborated later to MTV."

This is the view that lower numbers might not necessarily be better, which may indicate that lockdowns might in some cases be useless or even counterproductive. This lines up with what the Swedish epidemiologist said.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-04-2020, 04:18   #336

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

UK still in lockdown, but businesses starting to return to work. Local council out cutting the grass verges and parks. Water board back to digging up the supply pipe near us. B&Q a large brand DIY shop open with distancing rules between customers. Burger King open for take away. Traffic on the local roads increasing but still way down on the normal volumes.

We live under the flight path for London's airports from the Americas. Very few planes now seen in the sky, hardly unexpected. Petrol prices dropped 15%. I do wonder what this is doing for the environment.

Pete
Old 24-04-2020, 04:24   #337

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oh, well this kind of answers my question. Deaths from C19 increased in areas of high NO2.

Seems like electric vehicles could suddenly become popular given a few tax incentives to help them along the way.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...19-deaths.html
Old 24-04-2020, 05:22   #338
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

So India, Which was expected to be smashed by the virus - Due to the close living arrangements of Slums (if you have been in one you will know they are CRAZY!) is reporting less deaths than normal - Cases of covid have been washing through the slums but deaths are minimal.

Because of the lock downs Deaths from road and workplace accidents, along with murder are substantially down (normally very high)

Looks like to lock downs do save lives, just not covid ones in India, as it appears to be a non event currently there.
Old 24-04-2020, 05:56   #339
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
So India ...
... Looks like to lock downs do save lives, just not covid ones in India, as it appears to be a non event currently there.
The Kerala model:

How the Indian state’s response to Patient Zero helped flatten the COVID-19 curve
Despite having a population of 1.38 billion people (1.34 billion more than Canada), India has reported only 21,700 confirmed coronavirus cases, and 686 deaths [*1]. And many credit its treatment of Patient Zero [*2], for its ranking as the 17th worst-hit country in the world, by the pandemic — four spots below Canada, which has reported over 41,000 cases.
Much morehttps://nationalpost.com/news/world/...tten-the-curve

*2. The student was immediately transferred to an isolation ward at the Thrissur Medical College hospital and was started on a five-day course of antiviral medication. For 28 days — two weeks longer than the globally-recommended quarantine period — she stayed at the hospital, wearing disposable clothes, eating on plates that were then immediately incinerated, and being tested for the virus every alternate day. By Feb. 3, her two colleagues from Wuhan had also tested positive and were isolated at the same hospital.

*1. COVID-19 INDIA as on : 24 April 2020, 17:00 GMT+5:30
17915 Active Cases,
4813 Cured / Discharged, 723 Deaths, 1 Migrated
https://www.mohfw.gov.in/

WHO: India Situation Report - 12 Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
19 April 2020 ➥ https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=22283a8a_2

Old 26-04-2020, 01:57   #340

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

A background to what and why this is happening in Sweden.

https://bppblog.com/2020/04/23/the-s...EbkOA6Gwsuh-EE
Old 26-04-2020, 03:45   #341

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recy View Post
A background to what and why this is happening in Sweden.

https://bppblog.com/2020/04/23/the-s...EbkOA6Gwsuh-EE

I will not be surprised if, after the dust settles, and the ultimate effect of all the different policy approaches can be finally evalulated, it will be seen that lockdowns with stay at home orders turn out to have been an act of incredibly destructive madness on the part of governments, and that only Sweden, and to a lesser extent, the other Nordic countries, and perhaps South Korea, approached the crisis in a mature, intelligent manner.

In Finland there is already a discussion about the necessity of ACCELERATING the epidemic, because too slow progress of it is harmful, as it stretches it out in time.

Getting back to the original topic -- here in Denmark the weather is beautiful, and the sea is dotted with the sails of people out sailing. People are going to have a normal summer.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-04-2020, 04:00   #342

Boat: naver 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I will not be surprised if, after the dust settles, and the ultimate effect of all the different policy approaches can be finally evalulated, it will be seen that lockdowns with stay at home orders turn out to have been an act of incredibly destructive madness on the part of governments, and that only Sweden, and to a lesser extent, the other Nordic countries, and perhaps South Korea, approached the crisis in a mature, intelligent manner.

In Finland there is already a discussion about the necessity of ACCELERATING the epidemic, because too slow progress of it is harmful, as it stretches it out in time.

Getting back to the original topic -- here in Denmark the weather is beautiful, and the sea is dotted with the sails of people out sailing. People are going to have a normal summer.

which part of denmark are you in?we did a summer trip around southern fyn which was quite enjoyable.I recommend it if you're in that area.
Old 26-04-2020, 09:41   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
which part of denmark are you in?we did a summer trip around southern fyn which was quite enjoyable.I recommend it if you're in that area.

Thanks. Danish waters are really beautiful. We're near Copenhagen, about an hour's drive South. When the borders open up again, which I hope will be within two weeks, we will sail to Rostock in Germany to get the anchor chain regalvanized. Then the plan to is to make our way towards Helsinki unhurriedly, maybe via Bornholm then the East coast of Sweden.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-04-2020, 12:09   #344

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back to the original topic: The Finnish state news agency is reporting that the whole country is expected to be sailing this summer in Finland -- because travel abroad will still be severely curtailed and other hobbies which are harder to social distance, have been cancelled. https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11324405. It's in Finnish, but if you open it in Chrome you can have it translated.

Another piece of evidence that we will have a great sailing summer this year in the Northern Baltic.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-04-2020, 12:57   #345

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

Dockhead, thank you for passing that along and the suggestion to open in Chrome. The article says that locals will be sailing. But what about those of us on foreign-flagged vessels who need to enter Finnish waters - still not clear? I would need to fly from the US to my boat in Denmark, then sail to Finland. Thanks.

Tags
rope, Europe